What's new

Axiom, Ascend, Epos etc.... (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Hey Chris,

The guy in Mass. with the Ascends said he would shoot you an email.

Just have fun with all the listening on the various speakers.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I agree that you do have to listen to them. But I have heard the ascends at Ron's house(SVS). I went there to listen to subs, but I did notice that those speakers were pretty incredible. They were very flat, very soft sounding and were incredibly detailed. Amazing sounding.

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
"Deb why did you choose the Epos?"

Chris, I chose the Epos based on a variety of factors including the ones already mentioned in my earlier post. Midrange and vocal reproduction, especially female vocals (I listen to Eva Cassidy, Diana Krall, Norah Jones, Carol King, Sarah McLachlan, etc.) are very important to me and a particularly strong suite of the Epos. Also, I was looking for a physically small speaker at a reasonable price that also looked pretty good -- again, the Epos fit the bill. I hope to someday audition the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170's as well -- but if I do, I'm afraid I might end up with another pair of speakers!

:b

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Deb, I just "discovered" Eva Cassidy in the last few months. WOW...she had a great voice!

-----

The April 2004 issue of DVD Etc. has a review of a Ascend/Hsu package.

The author reviewed CBM-170 mains and surrounds, CMT-340c center, and the Hsu STF-2 subwoofer.

In the table of contents, there is not a mention of Ascend, the section and article is listed as:
State of Multi-Channel Audio On being Hsued and sweetening your 5.1 experience

The title of the article is:
"Go Ahead and Hsu me!" or "How I Learned to Ascend to My 5.1 Sweet Spot"

I won't type the whole article, but here is the defining statement by the author:
"In my opinion, the Ascend-Hsu combo is simply the best multi-channel speaker package under $1,300".

I might have missed the whole article while thumbing through the magazine if there were not pictures of the speakers and sub.

The magazine is on the newstands here in California. I would guess the online version will be available in April.

By the way, FWIW...there is not a single ad in the magazine for Ascend or Hsu. :)

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Curtis,

Glad to hear you like Eva Cassidy too -- such a shame she is no longer with us, but at least she left an impressive body of work.

Nice quote from DVD Etc. regarding the Ascends -- I'll have to run down to my local Barnes & Noble this weekend (if not sooner) :D to read it. Thanks for letting me know!

Debbie

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Hey everyone
Well Ill wrap up what happened very briefly. Please remember I am new to this and this was completely unscietific and uncontrolled. All that were used were 3 sets of ears.
I first ordered A pair of Axiom M2i's. Great speakers. The highs were very extended and mid range was nice. Obvioulsy no bass but I had just got an HSU STF-2 to fill in the gap. Ater a week, It just couldnt fill my room. So back they went. I found a friend of a friend who had the Ascend 170's. After chasing them down for 2 weeks, I got a chance to listen. The bass was much better than the Axiom M2i's but I found them very similar, very clear, the highs not extended as well as the axioms though. The set up a great soundstage and really filled the similar size room with sound. Only problem, the appearance. While I had no problem with them at all, my wife just didnt like the appearance. And it wasnt even so much the finish, but more the square look.
My next step I actually found a dealer in Harvard Sq. that sold the Epos ELS3. So I took a trip to hear them.
Very small speakers. Took me by surprise. Bass was lacking but what was there was accurate sounding. The midrange sounded lush and could really play louder than they appeared. I found the overall sound a little warm. The dealer told me that was their "British" sound but being new to this, that really meant nothing to me. It just sounded slightly colored compared to the Axiom and the Ascends.
Luckily the dealer also had the Triangle Titus in house. After a 2 hour listening session, I walked out with new Triangles. The soundstage they put out was absolutely amazing. The sounded like you were literally sitting in front of the band. WOW.
So back to my house they went. And upon setting them up and going through my music, things seemed to change. For Im sure many reasons. I am running a yamaha receiver from 5 years ago. The store was using a top of the line NAD. Well that with the room difference made an huge difference. Dont get me wrong, they are amazing speakers. I was going to keep them, but I just kept thinking about how much I like the Axioms. So while I had the Triangles in my house, I ordered up the M22's. They came in 2 days. I set them up right next to the triangles and did simple A-B tests.
Again, remember. Nothing scientific. Nothing technical. Just me, and two friends going back and forth for a weekend, and a lot of beer, deciding what we liked better.
By Monday it was over. The Triangle Titus is a great speaker. But with my electronics it just didnt sound as good in my house. The Axiom M22's are amazing. The highs are extended and very accurate, maybe why people find them bright, but they are not. VERY accurate especially where others rolled off. Considering they are vinyl, they are very nice looking speakers. The Ascends are great speakers just missing the highs. I probably would have gone with them had I been single. However I am glad I didnt. The M22's for what I like are a better fit for me. The Triangles were great, but something was missing that I really couldnt put a finger on it. Also, the were not very dynamic for movie watching, much better for music listening. The Epos were very nice, but not as accurate for my liking. I also heard the Monitor Bronze which I found better than the Epos but not as well as the Ascends and the Axioms.
Sorry about the length. I am at work and typing quickly. Please do not respond about how this was completetly unscientific and how your speaker choice was better. For me the Axioms were perfect. Again, the differences between all of these speakers actually was much slighter than it may sound. I would be extremely happy with any of them but just knowing that I got the chance to try them all and pick the one I like best makes me not have too much of upgraditis. Although it seems to hit on other areas. HMMM looking for a new receiver in the $800 range, anyone......

Joey_V

Second Unit
YES! succumb to the power of the M22!! mwahahaha... *cackling*... thunderclap...

in all seriousness though, i love my m22s - im glad u like urs as well. i listened to some star wars orchestra music from episode 1 (duel of the fates) and OMG!!! anyway, enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks