What's new

Axiom, Ascend, Epos etc.... (1 Viewer)

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Now,
Sorry to everyone if this has been brought up a million times before, but I am new to all of this. I am looking to find the best speaker for the price range and have gotten down to this few. I was wondering if it was down to these few (or any suggestions)
what would you suggest. I will be using them 50/50 Home theater and music
-Axiom M2i's
-Ascend Acoustics CBM -170
-Epos ELS-3

I have even listened to the Triangle Titus which was over my budget but a brilliant speaker
Obviously I will be looking at subs too

Any suggestions
Thanks

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
All good Chris. There is no such thing as best speaker in a price range, only best for you. Unfortunately, you'll need to spend some money (or time) to figure out the answer to the question.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Ya I understand what you mean. I guess I was just wondering if there was one true standout among the group.

Debbie_L

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Chris,

Tony's comments are right on the money.

All the speakers you listed are highly regared at this and other audio/video websites. I believe that both Axiom and Ascend offer 30-day trial listening periods so you can hardly go wrong -- at worst, you'll be out return shipping costs.

I own a pair of the Epos ELS-3's that I use in my two-channel music set-up. I listen primarily to 50s/60s acoustic jazz and couldn't be happier (OK, I probably could be happier, but that would require spending A LOT more money for better sound and that's not an option). The Epos have a wonderful midrange, smooth highs, and deeper bass than you'd expect from such a small enclosure -- nice tight, clean bass too. Soundstage and imaging are first-rate as well. I'd also say dynamics are above average for this size/type of speaker, but of course no match for much larger speakers. If you like a bright speaker, the Triangles or Axioms may better suite your needs. Personally, I find bright speakers to be fatiquing after more than just a few minutes, whereas I can listen to the Epos for hours with no problems.

If you're up for more suggestions, check out the Monitor Audio Bronze series as well.

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
One further point: the M2i will not satisfy used full range. It needs a subwoofer. If you're going subwooferless, the Epos and Ascends will be a better choice or the M3i and M22i from Axiom.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
I am definately going with a sub, but I guess that is a different post.
I dont know all the audiophile terms,
but when I heard the Triangle Titus, the instuments literally seemed to be right in front of me and were very detailed. I know I probably wont be finding anything that exact under $350, but that is what I was looking for

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
I'd say then get the Axioms. Very detailed sound that works great with a sub, and for $275 shipping included you can't go wrong.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
I agree with all the advice that has been given here. I own Ascends and help moderate the Ascend Forum. So ofcourse I would hope you would try the CBM-170. :)

All the speakers listed in the thread are thought highly of, unless you were going to listen to them all, it is a toss-up.

If you do get to hear the Epos ELS-3, I would like to know your thoughts. I already know Deb's, and I read one other person's experience on the Ascend Forum as well. Really seems like a great value.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
So the Axioms hit the mark there.
Also, I have noticed different forums that say the Ascends have pristine vocal reproduction. Does that mean that there will be an amazing difference between speakers?

I am looking at the HSU stf-2 to match up with whichever set I choose

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
The problem with me is I will never get to hear them all next to each other. I guess I will have to take the plunge on one of them, but it sounds like I really wont go wrong.
Hey Curtis, I use to live on 2nd St. a few years ago
So what made you pick the Ascends
and Deb why did you choose the Epos?

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
2nd Street in MB? Too funny. Did you play volleyball?

For me..I got lucky. I was shopping for speakers, and like most everybody, did not have an unlimited budget. I listenned to stuff in stores, and had it pretty much down to Paradigms.

Then I came across Ascends, and found out that Hsu Research sold them. I went to hear the Paradigms one more time, and then went to Hsu's offices the next day. That sealed it. I bought the full package with a sub on the spot.

If it was not for Hsu Research being close to me(Ascend is actually closer, but does not have demo facilities), I am not sure I would have gone the internet direct route. I had no gamble and came out a winner.

Since, I have compared my speakers to a lot of stuff, and I am still very happy and have no plans or wants to change.

MikeLi

Supporting Actor
Don't foget to check on the ELT package that comes with a sub and Dennon amp from av123.com. Even ATI is selling them. Getting great reviews!!!!

Dan Mastro

Agent
hey chris, while i don't have the 22's, i have the 60's, with other axiom speakers. where are you located, boston is kinda vague?
dan

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Well I am mostly concerned with which speaker is going to give me a better overall musical experience. Its tough because I am trying to uncover which speakers you good people seem to favor, because I dont see myself ordering all of these speakers, then sending them back and eating the shipping costs
I just may have to

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Chris,

You are in a tough boat....the process can be fun and agonizing.

We all have our favorites, so weeding through it may not yield the best choices for you.

Have you gone to stores to listen? If so, what have you liked?

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Ya thats a good point there.
I have listened to a few.
I heard the new Sapphire speakers at Tweeter, never heard of them before but they were nice, not outstanding.
Ive heard the Mirage m60's I think?
I have heard the Axiom M3ti- thought they were great not sure what the term "bright" means I am very new to this but I have read a lot of people use that term
and I have heard the Triangle Titus which was amazing but I didnt think it held up as well with movies- call me crazy
Its hard the final few I have narrowed it down to I havent heard two of them. The Ascends and the Epos have grabbed my attention from the reviews and their ablility for crystal clear vocals, which I love

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
The Axiom M3Ti is not a bright speaker. It has a emphasis in the 100hz range, which does give it more perceived bass and/or fullness.

I just emailed a guy in Mass. that has Ascends and is a member of the Ascend Forum. If he is close to Boston, maybe he would not mind having you over. He also owns a custom sub made by Brian Bunge/Rutledge Audio Design.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I've seen a regular at Audio Asylum frequently compare the Ascends to the Triangles. I've never heard the Triangles. If you can't find an Ascend owner to let you listen it would cost around $20 to get just one pair of 170s to try. Obviously only $8 if you don't send them back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks