What's new

AVR 430, Dolby Surround, but? (1 Viewer)

TVC.Net

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Hi folks.

I think I have the potential for an awesome surround sound home theatre system, but something is lacking.

When I wander into a local Best Buy, etc., I can't seem to shake the feeling that their sound systems always sound better than my HT.
I don't seem to get a sweet a separation of sound as I would expect in my home theatre.

For example, with Gladiator, when the arrows start flying in the battle scene. I've heard better left to right whizzing past my ear in other systems that's I've seen in showrooms, etc. I want to mirror that theatre like set up as best possible.

The center of my system is a Harman Karman AVR 430, which I thought would just catapult my home setup to a theatre like experience.

So now I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong.
Is it the quality of my speakers (BOSE sattelites), or maybe I need to add a component like an Acurus A100X3 Amp, or replace my AVR 430???

Here's my HT 5 speaker setup. See pictures:

Front:
snipr.com/1tw6w-jn1jh6

Back:
snipr.com/1tw6x-dprm13

All up for ideas.

Many thanks for the tips,
Jim

11/20/07
OK, I replace the junk AMP with a Boston Acoustics HPS 10SE Horizon Subwoofer
Getting there...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I stopped reading here. Do a search on Bose here in the forums. You will find dozens of people suggesting the same thing to improve the sound of Bose. It involves selling them.

-Robert

TVC.Net

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
I guess then the big question is what satellite type speakers are likewise compatible with the Bose style wall/ceiling mounts?

I'd like to use the same wall mounts if possible of course, unless it's not at all possible to do so.

Sidenote:
I won't get into the Bose bashing issue. I've been satisfied with the system, but the Bose speakers I have, as seen in the picture, are obviously no longer outputting the same white equal noise level, so I figure it's time to replace them (they are about 6 years old after all).

Thanks,
Jim

TVC.Net

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Ok, just collecting links here on what products make reasonable substitutes for the Bose Satellite speakers (Lifestyle system):

Boston Acoustics "Avidea"
store.bostonacoustics.com/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayPage&Locale=en_US&id=ProductDetailsPage&SiteID=bostona&productID=35829600&Env=BASE

Cambridge SoundWorks - MegaTheater Solution 60
cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=ht_htib&item=c1mt600e

Any others you folks might be aware of?

Thanks,
Jim

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
The old Bose 301 speakers were terrific. I think much of the Bose-bashing on this and other sites really comes down to a price/performance issue. It isn't so much that Bose sucks as that you can do much better for the same money. (And a certain amount of the bashing is frankly a) snobbery and b) people who wouldn't know a Bose speaker from a bow and arrow copying the fashionable attitudes of more knowledgable members. :))

Regards,

Joe

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
I think you main problems are speaker placement and your tv cabinet. Moving the speakers away from all reflecting surfaces will improve imaging and separation. The center channel in the cabinet can't be good. Try placing it on top as close to the edge as possible and see if that improves the sound. For the fronts some ceiling mounts like these: http://www.amazon.com/Omnimount-10-0.../dp/B00006LHDU might help. The best option would be no entertainment center and the speakers on stands out from the wall a couple of feet but that might not be feasible for you. My system really came alive when I got a wall mounted flat screen to replace the tv that was in between my speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks