What's new

AVR-240 setup (1 Viewer)

ft69

Auditioning
Real Name
frank tilley
OK, so my eye sight isn't that good at 59 w/ tri-foculs and reading the instruction always came last, but his AVR 240 set up has me stuck. I was able to strike a happy medium for stereo music listing w/ dolby 5 speaker wide. Movies is a different animal. Setting for best overall balance is same as music, but I can't hear the back l/r surrounds. Only in Surround setup/stero 7 channel will the the back surrounds work, but the dialogue and music are heavy in the left channel front mains. I can;t find a setting that gets good separation across front/right and center,,,and back surrounds. Didn't have this problem with a 10 yr. old Sony using same speakers and room configuration. What's the magic mode for movies? Thanks, frank

First off what are you using for movies (Blu ray, dvd) and how is the sound being fed to the system (HDMI, Optical, Audio inputs)? I was having a problem between the PS3 and my new Denon but I found it was an issue in the settings on the PS3.

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
frank, how long have you had this? I'm supposing it is fairly new? Do you have/have you read the manual? Have you configured it for 5.1? Have you done the ezset speaker setup? We are the same age and I also wear glasses (bi-focal, though). I have another model hk and have had to read through the manual several times now so that I am finally getting familiar with its use.

Do you use the OSD display on the tv? This might help with the viewing/setting up the system? To use it, press the button that says "OSD" on the remote.

Anyway, I'm just trying to get a feel for how familiar you are with this avr.

SCcobra4me

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
Is this a Harman Kardon receiver? If so, I can help, I have the AVR 247.

ft69

Auditioning
Real Name
frank tilley
Well I did sit back and read, and re-read several times. Initially I made all the connections similar to my last set up with a Sony.Wrong! I used several S video connectors for TV and DVD output, standard RCA jacks for audio. While reading and moving my lips at the same time, I discovered that, yes I could use coax. I always thought of co-axial as the thin copper line for cable tv, but alas no. Also HK says not use co-ax and component, so I disconnected the l/r component plugs. I ran the co-ax for audio and S video from the JVC DVD player and connected the S video from the TV into the Monitor jack and wham, everything kicked into place. HK sure demands a lot of attention and they like to do things their way. I'm happy to report all systems are a go, except I can't get the TV audio to play through old blue. The manual says to hook up the S video to the video 3 where the audio is, but I don't get a picture that way for either DVD movies or just TV. Plugging into the monitor slot works, so I will settle for excellent audio and movie modes and skip enhanced TV programs. Thanks for all of your replies

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks