What's new

Avoid this abysmal version of One Eyed Jacks (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
As there seems to be no immediate prospect of Paramount releasing a DVD of One Eyed Jacks, I decided to buy the Platinum version which is at least letterboxed, although not anamorphic. I figured it was only $8.95 and would be a suitable substitute until Paramount hopefully got round to issuing a re-stored version. How wrong I was. Washed out colors, total lack of definition, color bleed, looking like a copy of a poor quality VHS, which it probably was. I wouldn't want this if I was paid to watch it! The original film featured breathtaking Oscar-nominated photography by Charles Lang, which is totally ruined in this presentation. Please Paramount - give us the genuine article.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
As there seems to be no immediate prospect of Paramount releasing a DVD of One Eyed Jacks, I decided to buy the Platinum version which is at least letterboxed, although not anamorphic.
It's a great movie and after seeing (a washed out cruddy version) on DVD recently, it became one of my favorite westerns. Didn't the Laser's Edge list it as an upcoming Paramount title about two months ago, that should have been released already? But I haven't seen anything about it since! Why are there so many DVD versions of this title? Who owns the rights?
Jeff

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This is one of my favorite westerns, luckily I own the widescreen laser that Paramount put out. I also look forward to seeing a Paramount DVD release as I would gladly upgrade my laser.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
This one of the (classic IMO) westerns, I watched in a theatre, long ago. Since then I considered it to be one of my favourites. Yes, I bought the bad looking DVD (although warned). Yes, I would immediately buy a fresh new, well-done Paramount release.
Brando is great in this movie and Karl Malden a memorable crook. Splendid film!
Cees

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
yes, I hope that PARAMOUNT still has access to the orig. negatives... how they lost control of this great film would make a great story...
------------------

bill lopez

Second Unit
The laserdisc does look beautiful. And when they show this movie on AMC cable it runs a nice print.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Martin Blythe stated recently that it was most unlikely that Paramount would consider it, while there were other DVD copies of the film out there.
The film is obviously in public domain, so unfortunately there will probably always be cheap abysmal backyard copies out there.
We should try pleading with Matin Blythe on the Studio Page.
It certainly needs a proper release.
------------------

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
While Mr. Blythe did say that it was unlikely Paramount would release this while there was another version on the market, he had also been unaware that it existed until it was mentioned in that thread, and his post was followed by several more comments about the crappy quality of the existing - public domain? - release. But, heck, we now have a definitive release of CHARADE from Universal and Criterion, while no fewer than three terrible transfers preceeded it on various sub-standard labels. This is what we need now for ONE-EYED JACKS: a definitive studio-sanctioned release that restores the film to its original splendor. This being Marlon Brando's sole directorial effort, and a fine western to boot, it seems like a no-brainer to me. I should think Paramount would want to be raking in the money for this title rather than watching it go to Madacy and co.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks