Avia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray Kammer, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Ray Kammer

Ray Kammer Agent

Would it be wise to buy the Avia calibration disk on Ebay or is that too risky? I can get one for bout $25.00. Thanks,

2. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

Is it new or used? Does the seller have good or bad feedback? I have gotten a couple items of Ebay and overall it was very good, but it all depends on the seller.

3. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Another risk is whether the Avia keepcase still contains the original 3 video calibration filters in blue, red and green. (These can be obtained after the fact, but at the price of hassle/time).

For everyday user calibration (Contrast/Brightness/Tint-Hue/Sharpness/Color controls) one can just as well get the Sound&Vision Home Theatre Tune-Up disk (made by the Avia people) for $16 online; it uses one blue filter. It can be found at amazon.com, barnes&noble.com and elsewhere online.

4. Aaron Whitaker

Aaron Whitaker Stunt Coordinator

I hated S&V. It took too long to get to the test patterns. I like the menu system on Avia much better and with all 3 filters, I can calibrate my tv even better. With only one filter, I was calibrating to one color and the other colors would be off. With Avia I can get them all perfect but I can get to a happy medium where all the colors are close.

As far as ordering off ebay, I do it all the time. As long as the disc isn't scratched and it contains all 3 filters, I'd do it. I ended up getting mine from amazon for about $36 I beleive. A worthy investment.

5. Rick Faldo

Rick Faldo Stunt Coordinator

Aaron:

S & V also has a menue that makes calibration much faster.
    You don't need to watch and listen to those two people.
    Rick

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mash the menu button on the remote during the opening music of AVIA and you go straight to a menu from which you can select "advanced AVIA"--this takes you straight to the audio/video tests.

7. Hank

Hank Guest

Go for it! IMO Avia is the best calibration disc out there. I use it way more than Video Essentials.

8. Doug Smith

Doug Smith Second Unit

Does the Avia guide have 6.1 audio setup, or just 5.1?

9. Hank

Hank Guest

5.1 surround tests only. The new VE disc will be 6.1/7.1 compatible.