What's new

Avia Disc Help? (1 Viewer)

scott_tinari

Stunt Coordinator
I just got Avia, everything is fine but people on here say Caliberate your speakers at 85DB on the SPL meter, I did that but the Pink noise was so loud, would the pink noise ruin my speakers. I have a Pioneer Elite 35 reciever and set my master volume to 0DB and set each speaker at 85DB, What the loud pink noise break my speakers, I think they are fine but could of damage them. Any Help on this.

Scott Page

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know what speakers you have, but any speaker that would be damaged at 85 db's would be totally inadequate for home theater use. Home Theater peak reference levels are 105 db and 115 db for LFE. These are the maximum level that should be attained during a movie.
Avia pink noise is recorded at reference minus 20 or 85 db's. Video Essentials and most internal reciever tones are recorded at reference minus 30 or 75 db's. In otherwords, to set your equipment to the "Reference" level, you calibrate your speakers to 85 using AVIA and 75 using the other sources mentioned.
85 db's seems loud but you must realize that if you play a movie with the volume control at the 00 mark that you calibrated to 85 with Avia, then you will hit peaks of 105 on your speakers (and 115 on sub). Now THAT level may indeed damage your speakers.
Personally, I found calibration to 85 with Avia to be about 7 db's higher than my internal tones and way to loud to be enjoyable, besides sounding like it was going to break equipment. I suggest you calibrate to 75 or 80 max using Avia, or at least if calibrating to 85, then run with your vol control to minus 5 or 10. Any louder you you will likely burn up your tweaters or blow your midrange or damage your hearing or all of the above.
[Edited last by Scott Page on November 14, 2001 at 01:45 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks