AVG Anti-Virus: update glitch?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Peter McM, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    I run the highly-rated AVG Free Version for my anti-virus software. It seems to do a really good job, but lately the update manager is frequently prompting me to restart my computer, even when no new updates have been downloaded. Can I still count on the updater to do its job?

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

I used to use AVG Free and switched to Avast! free anti-virus. You may want to look into that one. I've not had a single problem with it. I would sometimess have problems with AVG not updating properly.

3. Peter McM

Peter McM Supporting Actor

Peter
    Thanks, Bryan. Can I run Avast and AVG simultaneously? I know some anti-virus/spyware programs interfere with each other.

4. David Norman

David Norman Cinematographer
    Supporter

Highly doubtful, I don't know any AV programs that coexist. Several won't even install if another AV is in place.

I will occasionally uninstall my main AV and run a second (or even 3rd program) a couple times a year just to make sure the computer is clean. I'm currently using ESET on 2 of the main computers (got it for 10/yr) and AVG Free on my wife's laptop. Avast works well, but AVG has such a long history and she's not a Internet Surfer so I figured any good free program would be fine.

Back to the OP, I've never seen any problem with unnecessary reboots.

5. Joe Maiurro

Joe Maiurro Stunt Coordinator

I use free edition Avast for my anti-virus and SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition 4.24 for my spyware. Works great together and it's all free. I was using AVG but I was having nothing but problems with it.

6. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Like others here, I switched to Avast.

I could never download any updates from the AVG free server. Unfortunately the free server is the only server that AVG allows you to download updates from.

7. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino
    I'm surprised to hear that so many people have had problems with AVG. I've been using it for years and years and have only had a problem once: A couple of years ago it kept hanging during update downloads, probably due to a damaged or corrupt file. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it and haven't single issue (with the program itself or with a virus) since. Obviously YMMV, but I thought that folks reading this thread should know that lots of people are very happy using AVG and have not experienced the problems described here.

Regards,

Joe

8. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer
    Supporter

I use AVG, and occasionally get a message that the automatic update has not downloaded due to a busy server. If I do a manual update, though, it almost always works. Otherwise, I've experienced no issues with the program.

9. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Same thing here, have used AVG for several years now. I have it set-up to d/l updates automatically in the background. Unless my internet connect is down, it usually gets the update fine. I have it on all 4 PCs inthe household.