What's new

Average Joe: Hawaii (on-going thread) (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anyone else catch this attempt by NBC to capture lighting in a bottle twice?

The guys were a hodgepodge of "normal" and socially inept guys. The Carrot Top wannabe was a little scary. It appears that Larissa kept more of the heavier guys around after the first round of eliminations.

I'm actually looking forward to the Dodge Ball bout between the hunks and the joes. Much better than 3-on-3 basketball...

todd stone

Screenwriter
crap i missed it! were they advertising this thing much? I latched every episode of last season but didn't even know the 2nd one started yet

Kevin Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin Eckhardt
Wasn't sure if I was going to watch this one or not, but after finding out that Larissa and I share the same birthday I think I'll have to stick around for at least a couple more episodes :D

Kevin

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Some pretty funny stuff. I loved the girls comment "Did you primp them up to look even more dorky?"

Some strange Joes this round.

The guy with the star shaved into his beard? WTF?

The boston guy, I swore he was about to say "She is gorgeous, like butta".

The super nervous guy made me feel nervous just watching him. Was waiting for the classic movie moment of him beating his head repeating "stupid" after trying to talk to her.

The short guy, I was afraid I would have to clean my tv from his spit. Sorry guy, but the overbite (which it looks like he is trying to get fixed) combined with the saliva talk doesn't make for enjoyable tv.

Carrot Top look out.

50's dude with glasses that magnified those peepers 10 fold. Yowser.

The chinese guy doing a physical and audible "Yes" right after meeting the chick.

I can't wait to see the dodgeball either. Looks pretty funny. It looked like the girl gets very kissy with a lot of the joes and hunks in future episodes. I loved how all of her conversations/announcements with the joes as a group sounded like she was onstage for the miss universe contest.

The girl, Larissa? should go back to straight hair. It looks so much better on her than the wavy/curly look.

Brian-W

Screenwriter
Larissa is hotter than Melana (IMHO), but the guys on this show are even less "average" than the first Average Joe.

Seems they dug deep into the crevices of middle earth to pull these guys out. Q-tip (Carrot Top, whatever), come on, he's "average"? My ass...

Anyway, this looks to be just as good of a train wreck as the last one.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
that nervous guy lookedlike adam sandler.

i would like a average jane version with all regular looking woman and a handsome man.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I'm surprised they didn't go with the Average Jane idea instead of a Joe Part Deux.

So what do you think the new twist will be this time? I wonder if she will put on the fat suit.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the final two will be an average guy and a hot guy. Just a hunch. :D

Trenton McNeil

Second Unit
it looks like they went out of their way to find 'hunky' guys with zero sensitivity or brains but lots of ego. exactly the type pageant bimbos deserve.

fun watching the nerds make all the same mistakes i did. if what i did is on tv, it must have been right!

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Haven't seen any average joe season or episode yet, but this sounds a lot like "Revenge of the Nerds" movies from the 80's.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Haha, you're right. :)

I liked it, but yes, these guys are definitely even less "average" than the first season Joes. The guy with the beard and the tattoes, the really overweight guys and the ones who behaved rather weird... they didn't seem average to me. :) There are some guys on there that seem OK though.

The Carrot Top dude really needs to settle down. In the previews, they show him leaning in to kiss Larissa. Even I was going "ick". :)

I thought Melana was cuter, but Larissa is "hotter" in the more traditional sense. She seems a little more socially awkward than Melana seemed.

BTW, I think Larissa looked better with the curly/wavy hair.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Pretty funny episode tonight.

Boxing was interesting, but not really until Tim got in there. He knocked himself out of the race right there, pun intended.

Let's start with the first group date. It seemed like each guy just shot himself down one after another. Specifically Michael when he dropped the "J-bomb". Hmm while looking at his profile on what he wants in his dream girl "Church on Sunday and midweek Bible study is a must." Guess Larissa isn't the bible study type. Then David. Everytime he did something I kept saying "no he did not just do that." But it worked, and got his date, which is mostly thanks to the other guys eliminating themselves through what they said or did before hand. On their date, which was really cool I must admit, it looked like David was a dog off a leash that never learned how to heel. First the lighting of the arm...err candle via hot flowing lava!! :D Then the serenade. He sure does have a pair of brass ones. Then the lean-in kiss with the Larissa head tilt dodge and reverse pucker. In other words, the most uncomfortable image shown yet.

Second group date. Snuba Diving? Looks interesting. Wasn't a whole lot that went on. I mean, how much talking can you do underwater? It is funny how everytime most of these guys get some alone time with her they always say "I hope that we get some time to get to know eachother." Duh, do it now. Every sentence counts. So the date was with Fredo, nothing really interesting happened there. Looked pretty simple and casual.

Third group date. OMG when Tony was walking through the jungle and he had those goggle/glasses on it looked like Vin Diesel as Riddick all of the sudden joined the date. :D He was picked for the date, and we finally get to see where Larissa is shacked up at. Not too shabby! It was pretty sweet how they were painting each other. So far he is definitely the front runner, designer beard and all.

Eliminations were pretty much expected. I can't remember what the guys name was, but he was the one that kept saying that he "had no game" and never had anything to say. Well after he got eliminated the post interview with him calling her shallow because he believed it was because of how he looked. Well that could have been it, but I believe it was because he never had anything to say. There are a lot of guys there, and you are going to have to make some kind of impression inorder to get the girl to notice you. Again, duh.

So next week is the week where the dicks...err jocks come and shake the island. It looked like they all went on dates again, so this twist probably won't be shown until the very end of the episode. I'm very curious to see what happens though.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
Thanks for the recap Jason. I was really looking forward to this but my asscrack local station pre-empted it for college flippin' basketball...

- Jack

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
No problem.

I should probably add that while David and Fredo both leaned in and got a peck, Tony was actually asked by Larissa to kiss her and they had a long romantic kiss.

I noticed that in quite a few of the guys profiles they list Alyssa milano or Buffy as their 'dream girl'. :D

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
The boxing event seemed like an odd idea to me. I'm not sure what Larissa was supposed to get out of it.

Tim really screwed up there though, it's good to be aggressive, but don't go overboard like that.

What is it with the geeks and singing? Remember the little weird dude from AJ1 who sang? Well, this time it was David who sang, and what an awful song it was. Maybe it works, but the girls just seem embarrassed.

The painting date was pretty cool. At least Tony got a really good look at her. :) It must have felt pretty good for him that she was the one asking HIM to get a kiss. Those other two pecks on the dates before didn't mean anything, but this was a pretty intense kissing session. :)

I agree with what Jason wrote about the guy who said she was shallow for kicking him off. Well, duh, the only thing they showed from his conversations with her was that he was nervous, kept saying "I don't know what to say" or awkward silence. Gee, you think THAT could be the main reason you got kicked off?

But she did kick most of the other fat guys off too, but taking physical attraction into account isn't being shallow... but we've gone over that before.:)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale

Heh, the one guy, Matthew Botti, looked exactly like Louis from Revenge of the Nerds.

I could have sworn it was the really big guy who said she was shallow. They were actually having a good conversation and having fun. I think it was the other big guy with the glasses that had nothing to say except "I'm striking out". I don't recall him saying that she was shallow.

Funny thing, I never watched the first average Joe but I'm hooked on this one because sadly, I can totally relate. The awkward lean in for the first kiss, the sweating bullets, a lot of the stuff is so me.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Just as a tangent: Adam from Average Joe I will have his own dating show on NBC, debuting on March 15th. Geez...let's really drive this concept into the ground. But lemme guess, the ladies will be hot as hell (I hope!)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Well, were those inserts of the "hunks" saying "We're great, and the nerds should just pack up and leave" every 5 minutes or so annoying or what? :) Gotta say they looked good though, and Larissa's expression when they kept walking in wasn't exactly one of disappointment... I can see why the "average Joes" felt threatened...

Otherwise, good episode. I can't believe the nerdiness of David Daskal, I wonder if he's for real or he's acting...

Poor fat guy, I think he would have been kicked off for sure. At least Larissa doesn't seem to mind kissing on the first date, she seemed disappointed he didn't even try. :)

Who else do you think would have gone? I think the nerdy breakdancer was the other one that was in danger of going.

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I noticed something tonight about the 'semi-manipulative' editing. I have Tony and his designer beard to thank for it. :D But I noticed that they keep 'flipping' the image to get a shot of a Joe or anyone else to look in the right direction. I noticed this with Tony because his 'wave' on the one side of his beard kept switching from the left to the right from shot to shot.

Good episode though. She really needs to get rid of David though. He has no chance and honestly thinks he does. I think if she keeps him another round she would only be leading him on. Of course she is basically leading them all on, but he is the only one that I think wouldn't take it very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks