What's new

The Avengers (2012) (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Just got back from seeing it. I absolutely loved it!!
What a fantastic movie. All the characters were well written, and well acted. I even liked Black Widow, someone I thought going in I wouldn't care for.
Plan on seeing it again next week. My grade for the film: A+

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Deleted because I just saw Patrick's post! Sorry, I was multitasking at the time.
The final after credit sequence had me rolling. It looked as though most of The Avengers were absolutely stuffed, but then Thor started digging in again, and Black Widow also. The absurdity of it(6 super heroes sitting around a table at a fast food joint) is pure genius. I was expecting a serious after credit scene, but instead I was just smiling.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I think Banner means he's always angry but he's able to control it - unless he wants to let it out, which means he can turn into the Hulk at a moment's notice. He doesn't have to be made angry - he just has to allow himself to drop his self-control...

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by EricW /t/278084/avengers-movie-thread/210#post_3923255

i think that waitress was among the people who were being terrorized by aliens in the scene where Cap gets thrown out the window (and onto the roof of the car) when the alien exploded

She was - I recognized her from earlier in the movie, so she was given a prior (though brief) introduction...

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Colin Jacobson said:
She was - I recognized her from earlier in the movie, so she was given a prior (though brief) introduction...
She was actually related (probably Granddaughter) to Cap's love interest from his movie. They had a scene that was cut because Whedon felt it belonged in Cap's movies and not The Avengers. Apparently it was a really good scene though.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Chip_HT said:
I always wonder why so many people are so quick to jump up as soon as the credits start rolling. Haven't people figured out by now that there is a scene buried in the credits of every Marvel movie?
Of course, the upside to that means shorter lines (if any) in the restroom when I get there.
I'm always shocked at people who start leaving a concert right when the encore starts so they can "beat the traffic".

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Saw it last night and thought it was excellent from start to finish. I was surprised at how much in-fighting there was between the Hero's, but it's logical that's the way they would react in the beginning. Thor saying Loki was adopted was perhaps the funniest line in the movie, as was Stark poking Banner with the needle. Also, when The Hulk starts smashing, he smashes.
Had to leave when Captain ws hitting the heavy bag because some 4-5 year old couldn't shut up about the movie, he rambled for about a minute after the Scarlett scene and then started talking how strong Captain was. We exchanged tickets for a later show but still pissed me off.
PS - The scene at the very end was hillarious, we never see what happens after the Hero's win.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I think in this case, many thought they had already seen the stinger.

Originally Posted by Chip_HT /t/278084/avengers-movie-thread/210#post_3924865
I always wonder why so many people are so quick to jump up as soon as the credits start rolling. Haven't people figured out by now that there is a scene buried in the credits of every Marvel movie?
Of course, the upside to that means shorter lines (if any) in the restroom when I get there.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Jeremiah /t/278084/avengers-movie-thread/240#post_3925173
PS - The scene at the very end was hilarious, we never see what happens after the Hero's win.
Just got back from seeing it, and yes it was. My wife and I enjoyed just about every minute of the movie. It everything a summer blockbuster should have, great cast, lots of destruction and some pretty funny moments, and just happened to be an all around great movie. I can't wait for it to come out on Blu-ray!

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I didn't catch that Jenny Agutter was one of the council, but I did recognize Powers Boothe. It was driving me nuts wondering who was playing Agent Hill. I don't watch How I met Your Mother, so I didn't recognize her, but knew she was familiar.
During the film, in a minor role, there was an actress I'd swear was familiar. I can't even tell you now what part she played, because the movie went on and so did my attention. Anyone notice this mystery woman?
A very entertaining movie. The Hulk-Loki moment was hilarious.
My wife had to see Dark Shadows this weekend, reviews be damned. So we saw DS as the first movie of the day in iMax and directly after watched Avengers, also in iMax. Neither one of us has watched a double feature like that in centuries. I'm glad DS was first, it was ...ok. It would not have been ok if we had watched it second.
They had a scene after the final credits? This is during the standard credit roll, not the fancy credits that came before? Once the roll began was when we began to leave.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Over at IMDB, Lou Ferigno is being credited as the Hulk's voice. Has he been the voice in the previous Hulk movies?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Angell said:
Over at IMDB, Lou Ferigno is being credited as the Hulk's voice. Has he been the voice in the previous Hulk movies?
He was also credited for the Edward Norton film. There's a video Ron posted on the previous page about the sound mix for the film that goes into some detail about how they made the voice for the Hulk:

It's mostly Lou, but there's a good deal of Ruffalo's voice and the sound designer's voice in there too.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Well, my wife and I tried to go see it but all the 2D showing were sold out. I guess that is my fault for not buying the tickets the day before online but, I really didn't want to pay the so called "convenience charge." The one thing that upsets me is we weren't the only ones standing outside the theater upset about it being sold out, all while non of the 3D showings were sold out. Clue in management, if all the 2D showings sell out but the 3D ones don't, add more 2D showings!!!!
I guess we'll try again, maybe in a few more weeks when crowds start to die down or, (most likely) we'll just wait for the BD.

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Jeremiah said:
Had to leave when Captain ws hitting the heavy bag because some 4-5 year old couldn't shut up about the movie, he rambled for about a minute after the Scarlett scene and then started talking how strong Captain was. We exchanged tickets for a later show but still pissed me off.
That sucks man. Stupid kids at my showing were talking at that part too. After Cap lifts up the next punching bag this stupid kid spoke very loudly, "That's heavy!" His mom shushed him, but still, if you bring your dumb kids to the theater they have to understand that they are not allowed to talk. Stupid kids.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
There were a few noisy kids at my screening too. But I worked at a town park for five years, so I'm pretty much immune to loud children. For the most part their enthusiasm during "The Avengers" was infectious.
Great in-depth, wide-ranging article on the work done by the various F/X houses on The Avengers:
www.fxguide.com/featured/vfx-roll-call-for-the-avengers/

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
So, anyone have any theories as to why The Avengers is raking in the dough like it is? I haven't seen it yet but all the reviews I've read have been pretty much down the middle, it's not great but it is not bad either. So why this comic book movie? I'm just curious what others think about this, why has this capture audiences hearts? Thor and Captain America were hits but not break the bank hits. The other Hulk movies were not well received. Is it all because of Iron Man and Downy Jr. or just the fact it is a bunch of super hero together in one film?
Of course, everyone knew it was going to be a hit but no one had this in mind. Before it came out, I thought it looked like and average to good comic book movie based on the previews, about were Thor and Captain America stand so I'm surprised at its box office performance so far. Is this really the next Titanic / Avatar? Is this just a preview of what will happen when The Dark Knight Rises opens or will The Avengers actually beat it out this year? I had already penciled DKR in as the highest grossing movie of the year, now I'm not so sure.
I'm just fascinated buy how much this movie has earned so far. Like I said, I haven't seen it yet but, the trailers never once made me think "this is the next Avatar."

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
^ I don't think there's any big secret- it's basically the ultimate sequel to a highly succesful string of movies. If you put a bunch of characters that people have liked on their own into one movie, you're probably going to have a hit. Mix that with the fact that the movie is good and you've got a huge hit.
Chris Will said:
Is this just a preview of what will happen when The Dark Knight Rises opens or will The Avengers actually beat it out this year? I had already penciled DKR in as the highest grossing movie of the year, now I'm not so sure.
It's easy to say now but I always thought that The Avengers would make more than The Dark Knight Rises. Beyond that TDKR has to 'compete' with The Dark Knight (how many "Well, it was good but not as good as The Dark Knight" comments are going to be said about it?), it's basically impossible for any movie to capture lightning in a bottle a second time.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Chris Will said:
So, anyone have any theories as to why The Avengers is raking in the dough like it is? I haven't seen it yet but all the reviews I've read have been pretty much down the middle, it's not great but it is not bad either. So why this comic book movie? I'm just curious what others think about this, why has this capture audiences hearts? Thor and Captain America were hits but not break the bank hits. The other Hulk movies were not well received. Is it all because of Iron Man and Downy Jr. or just the fact it is a bunch of super hero together in one film?
Of course, everyone knew it was going to be a hit but no one had this in mind. Before it came out, I thought it looked like and average to good comic book movie based on the previews, about were Thor and Captain America stand so I'm surprised at its box office performance so far. Is this really the next Titanic / Avatar? Is this just a preview of what will happen when The Dark Knight Rises opens or will The Avengers actually beat it out this year? I had already penciled DKR in as the highest grossing movie of the year, now I'm not so sure.
I'm just fascinated buy how much this movie has earned so far. Like I said, I haven't seen it yet but, the trailers never once made me think "this is the next Avatar."
Down the middle?:confused:
It's 95% at Rotton tomatoes and the poll overat DVDtalk has only 2 reviews that are leas then 1.5 stars.
Simple answer is that it is a great action movie. It funny. It's fun. The fights are great. There's great word of mouth.
Basically it is about the best comic book I have ever read and it's a movie which is even better.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
What I didn't mention is the ginormously huge Joss Whedon fan base should not have been underestimated on this movie.
I'm not in that group only because I haven't seen much of his other then Serenity, firefly and one or two other things. I hated that tv show from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks