What's new

Avengers (movie) Director's Cut (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I really think this would be an easy release for Warner Bros.
Now as it's about 10 years later, the film does have a decent enough following. With the fact that the full film was screened and scored with music (the full score is available on cd), I don't understand the logic in not releasing the full film on DVD. In fact, I've wondered about this since it was first released on home video. I can understand the studio making a decision and cutting theater screenings, but on home video it should be allowed to be seen the whole way through as it was created by the director.

Please continue to support this and sign the petition.

http://www.theavengers-movie.com/

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/theavengersmovie/

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Wow, this is a blast from the past. Would Warner's really be willing to throw good money after bad? Should they?

If there was a valid reason to revisit this title then they might certainly consider it (I think the authorized re-working of Superman II was a labor of love not necessarily done with one eye on the bottom line) but would there really be enough interest in this to even recover the pressing cost?

The fact is that this was rejected by both casual movie fans and hardcore Avengers fanatics like me. Who would the audience be?

I just noticed that one poster mentioned (three years ago!) that Diana Rigg only wore leathers once, but I think he meant to say that she only wore them once in the color series, as she is seen in them repeatedly in the b&w series.

Anyway, as I said before, best of luck to those who want it but I can't help believing that a longer version of it is just more of a bad thing.

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
Considering this movie just a little less than Alexander did in the US (adjusted for inflation, but also considering the budgets as well) and the fact that Alexander was revisited twice on DVD, why shouldn't this one get that treatment as well? The director isn't as prolific as Oliver Stone though.

Also very itneresting the film ran 2 and half hours originally, I remember being into tape trading around that era and could never find the workprint floating around, though I did see the near 3 hr version of Practical Magic, another WB bomb I think.

Tim RP

Stunt Coordinator
Never say never and I would like to see an extended cut with extras but... didn't Warners say in the last chat that they had "no plans" to revisit this title?

Jim C

Second Unit

Ian, I agree with all your comments. I have always liked the film, and would love for a true Director's Cut to be released. There is so much material that was cut from the film and it wouldn't cost a fortune for Warners to complete a project like this. Given that Warners are quite pro-active when it comes to releasing extended films for the home entertainment market, there may be just a glimmer of hope for a future DC release.

I actually visited all the UK locations utilised in the film and documented a shot-for-shot comparison that was intended for a film location book that, unfortunately, never saw the light of day (it also contained all the Bond film locations around the UK amongst other high profile films). My favorite of all the locations used in the film is a tiny village called Hambledon, where Steed undergoes some training at the beginning of the film. Such a delightful location (and one that was also utilised in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang).

Here's hoping this underrated film gets the extended edition that it truly deserves.

Regards
James

Sean Richardson

Stunt Coordinator

Maybe I'm crazy, but I can't understand watching any of these four movies again.

Of course, I saw all four, so I probably am crazy.

Also, I own 'Battlefield: Earth'.

My main beef with 'The Avengers', aside from everything everybody here said, was the utter waste of Eddie Izzard. Of course, now, years later, I realize that pretty much every movie he's in wastes him.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
With The Avengers film though, the movie has been completed with score, etc. Why not release the full version on video? The film is completed already with complete score, etc...

Like I said there is minimal cost for WB to do this. There's no putting the film together, etc like for Superman II.

This would be an easy release for WB.

Please sign the petition!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I just started listening to a series of podcasts about the film. I am enjoying them…

I wish the full version of the film was available..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks