Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Title: Avengers: Infinity War (2018)

Tagline: An entire universe. Once and for all.

Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction, Fantasy, Action

Director: Joe Russo, Anthony Russo

Cast: Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans, Mark Ruffalo, Scarlett Johansson, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Holland, Chadwick Boseman, Don Cheadle, Zoe Saldana, Karen Gillan, Elizabeth Olsen, Paul Bettany, Anthony Mackie, Sebastian Stan, Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Danai Gurira, Peter Dinklage, Benedict Wong, Pom Klementieff, Dave Bautista, Vin Diesel, Bradley Cooper, Gwyneth Paltrow, Benicio del Toro, Josh Brolin, Chris Pratt, Sean Gunn, William Hurt, Letitia Wright, Terry Notary, Tom Vaughan-Lawlor, Carrie Coon, Michael James Shaw, Stan Lee, Winston Duke, Florence Kasumba, Kerry Condon, Monique Ganderton, Jacob Batalon, Tiffany Espensen, Isabella Amara, Ethan Dizon, Ariana Greenblatt, Ameenah Kaplan, Ross Marquand, Michael Anthony Rogers, Stephen McFeely, Aaron Lazar, Robert Pralgo, Olaniyan Thurmon, Blair Jasin, Matthew Zuk, Laura Miller, Kenneth Branagh, Samuel L. Jackson, Cobie Smulders

Release: 2018-04-25

Runtime: 149

Plot: As the Avengers and their allies have continued to protect the world from threats too large for any one hero to handle, a new danger has emerged from the cosmic shadows: Thanos. A despot of intergalactic infamy, his goal is to collect all six Infinity Stones, artifacts of unimaginable power, and use them to inflict his twisted will on all of reality. Everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment - the fate of Earth and existence itself has never been more uncertain.

Disney announced today that the original plan to split Infinity War into two films (Part I and Part II) has been nixed. Avengers: Infinity War will now be one stand-alone film, while the original release date for Infinity War Part II (May 3, 2019) has been reserved for an "untitled Avengers project" yet to be announced. More details here:

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/d...finity-war-will-be-only-one-movie-1201826862/

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Not quite.

Variety's report is misleading. Nothing has changed.

The Russos are still doing two films. Both filming back to back starting later this year, and the second is still coming out May 2019.

Kevin Feige and the Russos have already said that "Infnity War" was not going to be one big film cut in half and released as a "part one" and "part two". They have said that each movie would be its own story, but both would be part of the larger overarching "Infnity War" narrative.

A couple of months ago they said the titles were not set and the Part One/Two titles were just placeholders.

So all this means is that the first movie is now called simply "Avengers: Infinity War" and the second title has yet to be locked in. It could be Infinity Gauntlet or something else along those lines.

Keep in mind, the roughly 9 month shoot starts this Fall. The second movie is still out May 2019. They could not restructure everything into one film while then coming up with an entirely new additional movie and keep to their schedule.

Deadline's report on this is more accurate.
http://deadline.com/2016/07/avengers-infinity-war-avengers-3-marvel-studios-1201795344/

Also, if Marvel was changing their plans they would have announced that last Saturday at Comic Con.

Last edited:

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yep.

This is really down to Fiege and the Russos not wanting people to be looking at these as two halves of a whole instead of two separate, yet related, full movies.

So they aren't a "Deathly Hollows" but more of an Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi type thing.

I'm quite excited about this project. Really interested to see what they do with them and how the two movies in between them ("Ant-Man and the Wasp" and "Captain Marvel") relate to the larger narrative.

It's so much better that they are doing these as separate individual films rather than a "cut in half" job.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This is really down to Fiege and the Russos not wanting people to be looking at these as two halves of a whole instead of two separate, yet related, full movies.

So they aren't a "Deathly Hollows" but more of an Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi type thing.
It's so much better that they are doing these as separate individual films rather than a "cut in half" job.

I agree completely!

The only one of the "cut in half" jobs that I liked was "Deathly Hallows" - there was so much happening in that book, things needed to set up the finale as well as payoffs from the six previous movies, that it never felt overlong to me. I wish the studio had decided to release it as a four hour roadshow instead of as two separate parts, but nothing in either movie feels unnecessary to me. Also, there were already six movies by that point, so having an extra two instead of just one didn't really screw up the balance.

On the other hand, look at the Hunger Games series. The last book had the least amount of plot but was split into two movies. This also kinda messed up the feel of the storytelling - even though the last book takes place in a shorter amount of time than the first two books, the final movies by virtue of being as long as the first two movies make it seem that the ending of the story took as long as the beginning and middle of the story. The pacing is totally changed, and that more than anything is what kills the movies. It's more or less the same with the final two Twilight movies - the pacing is dreadful, every moment is stretched out as long as possible, and since that goes against the style already established in the previous movies, it just never feels right. With the final Harry Potter movies, the pacing still feels right to me. I think they're better seen in one sitting than two, but they feel like the rest of the movies in the series.

I am very happy that Fiege and and the Russos see this as a chance to tell two connecting stories rather than just overshooting one movie and arbitrarily cutting it in two.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
image.jpg

Only fan art of course, but I think it's an accurate portrayal of the scope of this project.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Nice pic.

Markus and McFeely on current status of Infinity War & Avengers 4 scripts:

http://screenrant.com/avengers-infinity-war-script-update/

“We’re many drafts in. We’re on the third draft of movie one and the second draft of movie two. [We’re writing them in tandem] as much as we can. On any given day, you’re only working on one but that doesn’t mean that next week, you aren’t working on the other one. And certainly, notes are coming in and all sorts of production stuff is coming in, like for instance, ‘that thing over there is now a window not a door so adjust that.’ Or, ‘we’re not going to this town now, we’re going to this town.’ That kind of stuff happens constantly and will continue to happen for the next few months. “

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
All that crazy, super-powered space shit... and they still need a guy who shoots arrows.

They better call Squirrel Girl if they want to actually kill Thanos.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
All that crazy, super-powered space shit... and they still need a guy who shoots arrows.

They better call Squirrel Girl if they want to actually kill Thanos.

:) See, that's the reason why I couldn't get into Batman for the longest time (after about being 12 years old) - he's good for street crime, but when you start talking about beings who can level not just buildings, but cities, and he's about as useless as a guy who can talk to fish..... :)

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
:) See, that's the reason why I couldn't get into Batman for the longest time (after about being 12 years old) - he's good for street crime, but when you start talking about beings who can level not just buildings, but cities, and he's about as useless as a guy who can talk to fish..... :)

And yet in comic after comic he's consistently placed in situations where he's always the one who figures out how to take down the big bad. From Darkseid to Superman, he's taken them all down proving he can out-think the enemy.

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/the-ru...captain-marvel-in-infinity-war-164829403.html

“If they ever cast that role, maybe,” Anthony replied, clearly joking. “Do you know if they’ve cast it yet?” The part, of course, has already gone to Room Oscar winner (and Kendrick’s Scott Pilgrim costar) Brie Larson, a casting that was made official during Marvel’s panel at San Diego Comic-Con in July. Turning genuine, the co-director added, “That’s one we’re going to have to plead the fifth on.”

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Yeah, I think it is very likely that the character will be in 'Infinity War". Otherwise, there'd be no reason to have cast her and publicly announce it more than two years before the solo film.

The only uncertainty I have is whether she will be already powered-up in the movie (like Black Panther in Civil War) or will she just be normal military person in IW and then get powered in her film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Some interesting comments from the Russos:

“There’s a writing adage that says ‘write yourself into a corner.’ My brother and I have always loved that adage," said Russo in an interview with The Independent."That was one of our favourite things about Civil War – that it ended in a difficult place where it’s hard to imagine what the road forward exactly is for both Tony Stark, Steve Rogers and these two sides that have suffered the consequences of this division. On a storytelling level, it is a very difficult place and yes, that is very much the condition of the world as we move forward after Civil War. This very much sets the stage for where Infinity War begins – it’s a place of a strong divide.”

Nigel P

Second Unit
Real Name
Nigel
Nice, I just came to post a link to that. It was from an interview in the independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...inity-war-spider-man-homecoming-a7217681.html

Personally speaking, which characters are you most excited to direct that you haven't yet had the opportunity to?

This might sound like a diplomatic or political answer but the cast is so large and there are so many amazing actors playing these characters, it’s an embarrassment of riches for storytellers and directors. Joe and I can’t believe we get to play with this level of talent all in one movie. It’s a challenge because the characters themselves and the actors that play them all deserve their own movie, but now you’re dealing with an ensemble picture where they’re only going to get a portion of the storytelling. But the trick for us is how do you have the most amount of fun with the portion a certain character gets? You can sometimes do a great deal with very little, and again to reference Spider-Man and Ant-Man who aren’t in much of Civil War, but I think leave a big impression on an audience. We have the same sort of opportunities for Infinity War - very talented actors playing really awesome characters that we love who can come in in very unexpected ways.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks