Avengers: Age of Ultron in 2015

Discussion in 'Movies' started by oscar_merkx, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Everybody's saying it's official -- and I'm not saying that it's not -- but all they're quoting is Samuel L. Jackson's comment to The Wall Street Journal. For all we know, he read the same rumors we have. You'd think that if all the Is had been dotted and Ts had been crossed, Marvel would have put out a press release like they did with the James Spader casting.

2. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Marvel has been kind of weird with their announcements of their casts. Some get announced officially and some don't get official announcements but are sometimes just confirmed as an aside in an interview about something else. The casting of Zoe Saldana for Guardians of the Galaxy was like this. It was rumored that she was cast, but there wasn't an official announcement. Then at some point someone like Kevin Feige off handedly mentioned about her being in the cast in an interview. I'm not saying that Sam Jackson has the same authority or knowledge as the head of the studio, but it wouldn't surprise me if for some reason Marvel just chose not to make an official casting announcement about the role.

3. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Producer

Sam Favate
    It could be that it's not a very big role. There are already a lot of players in the mix here.

4. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Rumor is that the casting of Aaron Taylor-Johnson is now a done deal. But no official announcement from Marvel on that one yet either.

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Lots of great info here from Kevin Feige about Marvel Studios' plans for the future. Figured this thread was the most appropriate for it all. http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=89082

6. Adam Lenhardt

Thanks for sharing. It's interesting that Feige confirmed that Guardians of the Galaxy has the post-credits bit on Thor. I love the way they use those post-credits scenes to build up excitement for future movies. There's something very old-fashioned and pulpy fun about that, like the old serials that would always tease the next chapter.

7. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
  8. Adam Lenhardt

9. Robert Smith1

Robert Smith
  10. Freddie Z

Freddie Z Stunt Coordinator

Freddie Zaragoza
    Paul Bettany (Jarvis) now cast as The Vision!

11. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Cool news if true. The story initially broke with The Daily Mail, which isn't the most reliable. But Variety is now picking it up, so it may be true.

12. Stephen Brooks

Stephen Brooks Second Unit

Stephen Brooks
    Apparently Scarlett Johansson is 5 months pregnant. With shooting starting soon, I wonder if she'll be able to participate? It's not like you can hide anything in that Black Widow outfit.

13. Adam Lenhardt

Apparently they're moving all of her scenes to the front of the shooting schedule.

14. Freddie Z

Freddie Zaragoza
    There will be a post credits scene featuring 2 Avengers in Captain America The Winter Soldier. The post credit scene was directed by Joss Whedon!

15. Freddie Z

Freddie Zaragoza
    Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver concept art:

MarvelA2ScarletWitch_large.jpg
    MarvelA2Quicksilver_large.jpg

16. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Some concept art from the ABC special: image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

17. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    image.jpg

18. Adam Lenhardt

Film Music Reporter: Brian Tyler to Score ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron’

Tyler seems to have become Marvel's house composer, with this being the third Phase 2 feature he's scored. I found his music to be pretty forgettable on Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World. I thought Ramin Djawadi and John Debney both did better than Tyler on their Iron Man scores, and I thought Patrick Doyle's score for the first Thor movie was leaps and bounds above Tyler's work on the sequel.

Alan Silvestri gave us one of the most iconic scores of his career for the first Captain America movie, and I really enjoyed his work on the first Avengers movie as well, so I was rooting for him to come back for Age of Ultron.

One of the downsides of Marvel's success is that as they build up their production pipeline, things inevitably get streamlined and therefore homogenized. They're using the same cameras for all of the films now, and now they seem to be moving toward using the same composer for all of the films. It takes something away from the distinctiveness of each film.

I'm looking forward to Henry Jackman's score on the Winter Soldier.

19. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan
    Supporter

Sean
    Well, I thought that Tyler's Iron Man 3 score was great. I loved that Iron Man now has a distinct heroic theme and I'm glad that it will likely be carried into Age of Ultron. I would have liked for a little "metal" to have also been used, but I'm betting that was more of a Black decision than a Tyler decision. I do prefer Patrick Doyle's Thor theme and score to Tyler's, but I still thought Tyler's was quite good. And again, it will be nice to (hopefully) have the themes from the stand alone entries carry over into the team up movie. Silvestri didn't really use any of the established themes from the stand alones, and I always found that disappointing. Silverstri had a fantastic theme for Captain America in The First Avenger, but he barely squeezed in a few subtle notes from it into The Avengers. Tyler actually used more of Silvestri's Cap theme in The Dark World (during the cameo) than Silvestri's used in The Avengers. It's too bad that Jackman doesn't use much of Silvertri's Cap theme in The Winter Soldier, but my understanding is that they are going for a different feel and tone than the "40's adventure" and are doing their own thing. But I believe he does work in a few notes in at least one scene.