What's new

Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015) (1 Viewer)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I suppose the possibility of that depends on whether Quick Silver is used in the 70's or the Present/Future. Could be either. But my understanding is that Marvel has a pretty good relationship with Sony but not so much with Fox. So Easter eggs between the Spidey and MCU films seem more likely than between the MCU and Fox movies.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Robert Downey, Jr. signs two-picture deal for second and third Avengers:

“I am Iron Man.”

Tony Stark’s famous closing line to the very first Iron Man film takes on new life today as Marvel is pleased to announce the signing of Robert Downey, Jr. to reprise the role of the “billionaire, genius, playboy, philanthropist.”

Under the two-picture agreement, Downey will star as Tony Stark/Iron Man in “Marvel’s The Avengers 2” and “Marvel’s The Avengers 3.” Downey is represented at CAA by Bryan Lourd, Jim Toth and Matt Leaf and by his attorneys Tom Hansen and Stewart Brookman of the firm Hansen Jacobson.

Downey, Jr.’s last two Marvel films, 2012’s “Marvel’s The Avengers” and this year’s “Iron Man 3,” rank as two of the top five grossing films of all time, collectively earning over $2.7 billion worldwide to date.

“Marvel’s The Avengers 2” is being written and directed by Joss Whedon. Featuring favorites from the first Avengers film and new Marvel characters never before seen on the big screen, “Marvel’s The Avengers 2” is slated to begin production in March 2014 and open in theaters May 1, 2015.

Thrilled by this mega announcement, Marvelites? Well, be sure you stay glued to Marvel.com because in the coming days and weeks and months, Marvel.com will be FIRST in the world to reveal additional casting updates, new characters coming to Marvel movies and so much more -- directly from the most secret meetings at Marvel! You wouldn't want to miss out on that now, would you?!
With regard to the rest of the returning cast:
[*]Samuel L. Jackson still has at least three movies left in his 9-picture deal after Captain America: The Winter Soldier
[*]Scarlett Johansson still has a couple movies left on her multi-picture deal as well.
[*]Accounts differ for Chris Evans. Some places say he signed a 6-picture deal originally, other places say he signed on for the Avengers sequel when he reupped for Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
[*]Mark Ruffalo reportedly has five movies left on his five-picture deal.
[*]Chris Hemsworth doesn't appear to be signed, and he's probably the most likely after Downey to hold out for a bigger payday.
[*]Jeremy Renner also seems to be unsigned. But his launch into leading man status sort of fizzled, and of the returning Avengers his character is the most expendable from a branding standpoint.
[/list]

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
That's great news about RDJ. We can be pretty sure that Marvel isn't going to go the "trilogy, reboot, trilogy, reboot" route with their MCU properties and will follow more of the Bond model with eventual recasting of the roles when needed. While I'd love for him to continue doing even more after Avengers 3, I think six films with Downey as Tony Stark is a satisfying amount for his take on the character. All of the other actors have already signed multi-picture deals that should include Avengers 2 & 3, but I believe the typical Hollywood contract renegotiations are in play right now.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Know it won't happen, but here's my vote for a second (or future) film: "Squadron Sinister!" (Yeah, read it 'n' weep!)

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
So it looks like Aaron Taylor-Johnson will be playing Quicksilver.
image.jpg
While it probably won't be officially confirmed until the Marvel panel tomorrow night, it's clear as day from this that he has the role:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=83668
"I don't think I can talk about that, but it really is an exciting prospect," Johnson said, indicating that the casting is a done deal. When asked if he was reading up on the character, he added, "[QuickSilver] has a really interesting character and background. In fact, my wife just went out and bought... it's like a really, really old vintage [comic] with the first time Quicksilver's ever been on the cover." Obviously, Aaron Taylor-Johnson couldn't say much about joining Earth's Mightiest Heroes, but rumor has it Marvel will bring out the full cast of The Avengers 2 tomorrow during its anticipated panel.

Freddie Z

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Freddie Zaragoza
With Whedon confiming no Hank Pym in Age of Ultron and title is not based on recent comic book series, I think it's pretty simple to guess how Ultron will be created in the upcoming sequel. If anyone saw Iron Man 3, you'll know that Stark had all these armor suits capable of being controlled by Jarvis. Of course, at the end, Stark wanted a clean slate and destroyed all of them. However, what if he realizes he cannot be Iron Man forever and creates a suit of armor or in this case an android/robot where he could transfer his consiousness, his soul, his memories into it before he knows he's going to die. He'll probably create it using adamantium or vibranium (most likely the latter due to rights issues with Fox) so it would be invulnerable. What if during the trial run, he transfers Jarvis into it and somehow something goes wrong and Ultron is born!

'Nuff said...

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Some quotes from Joss about Age of Ultron:
"Well, because there was a book called 'Age of Ultron' quite recently, a lot of people have assumed that is what we're doing, but that is not the case. We're doing our own version of the origin story for Ultron. In the origin story, there was Hank Pym, so a lot of people assumed that he will be in the mix. He's not. We're basically taking the things from the comics for the movies that we need and can use. A lot of stuff has to fall by the wayside."
"We're crafting our own version of it where his origin comes more directly from The Avengers we already know about. It's a little bit darker than the other film because Ultron is in the house. There's a science fiction theme that wasn't there in the other one. Ultron is definitely something that evolves, so we're going to get together a couple of different iterations. Nothing can be translated exactly as it was from the comics; particularly Ultron."
"It's very much a global Avengers film. A lot of the movie has to do with their place not just in America, but the world. Part of the fun for me, definitely this time around, is writing Hawkeye. He did get possessed pretty early by a bad guy and had to walk around all scowly for most of the movie so now it's nice to actually have the character there and see him interact with the other guys."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I hope they announce the casting of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch soon. If Aaron Taylor-Johnson really is playing Quicksilver and they're making the twins in their late teens, early twenties, then I hope that the Saoirse Ronan rumor pans out for Scarlet Witch. She's got a sort of strange ethereal quality about her that would fit the role well. It'll be interesting to see how her "hexes" are handled in the film.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Whether we'll see Ultron's creator, Henry Pym, or the android that Ultron himself created, the Vision, Whedon reassures, “We’re not going to see Pym and all the accoutrements. Ultron is more central to the Avengers as they are. But we will explore the idea of lineage, because he was created by us and we’ve got to own that… Then we have the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and I think that’s plenty, because Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch did not begin their time as friends of the Avengers, so there’s going to be a lot of, well, conflict.”
Sounds to me like he's saying that Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver will be used as antagonists in the story, as it was with their introduction in the comics. As far as Thanos being in Age of Ultron:
“We have to stay grounded. It’s part of what makes the Marvel universe click – their relationship to the real world. It’s science-fiction, and Thanos is not out of the mix, but Thanos was never meant to be the next villain. He’s always been the overlord of villainy & darkness.”
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=84707Which isn't surprising. This will be Ultron's story. Thanos should be a significant figure in Guardians of the Galaxy, and he'll probably have some presence in a film or two in Phase three before finally confronting the Avengers head on in Avengers 3. I think a slow burn build to him is the way to go.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Bummed that Henry Pym will not be in the mix, but pumped that the great James Spader is part of the crew. :dance:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Great casting on Ultron. James Spader has that perfect mix of menacing crazy and undeniable intelligence.

Less sold on Olsen as the Scarlet Witch. She's done some very good work, but she's just got such a generic look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks