What's new

Avatar Press Event Coverage: Avatar will street on Earth Day April 22nd (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I didnt see it at the movies but after seeing clips and trailers I was pretty sure that the entire film was cgi, including the people.

Now I'm well into the blu-ray and i'm still not convinced they aren't.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Surround sound is fully immersive.

One of my worries is always detail revealed during scenes that have shadow or darkness.
there is nothing lost here during the night/dark scenes.

No black crush or loss of anything that is supposed to be seen.

just perfect so far.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Well i loved the movie and the blu-ray.
Someone on dvdtalk is sayiing the contrast is off and the image is slightly hazy.
And there audio is a little odd sounding.
None of that was noticeable when we watched.

Anyway I'm surprised with all the coveredge here, Fox didn't provide an exclusive review of the disc.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm in that thread a bit, and there I posted a link about the audio for this, which I'll post here as well.

Producer Jon Landau mentioned that the audio was remixed for this release:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65324

CS: We're talking a lot about visuals, what about the audio?

Landau: The audio, we did a special mix for the home entertainment with our same mixers, Chris Boyes and the folks from Skywalker came in and Jim supervised it and we did it for home theater systems and made it work. There was some adjusting that needed to happen, but look, I think that a movie is no one thing. A movie is not just visuals. A movie is not just this. It's the whole. In fact, sound is a very important aspect of that, so they spent a lot of time doing that.
Also, in an odd move, Atlantic Records has re-released the AVATAR soundtrack as a download-only "deluxe edition", with five additional bonus tracks today.

However, the funny thing about the bonus tracks is that they are not final orchestral cues from the score, but instead the original synthesized mock-ups created by the score's recording engineer and synthesizer programmer, Simon Rhodes and Simon Franglen. They feature the live, recorded vocals (boy soprano, and a choir that sings in the Na'vi language) and some percussion elements are also real, but all the traditionally orchestral elements are synthesized.

Must be due to a possible re-use fee of using additional recordings performed by the live orchestra that these "demo" versions are all that could be released.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by TonyD

I didnt see it at the movies but after seeing clips and trailers I was pretty sure that the entire film was cgi, including the people.

Now I'm well into the blu-ray and i'm still not convinced they aren't.
Some scenes aren't CGI, but the CGI is so good that its hard to tell.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by TonyD I've seen clips on the Panasonic 103" and 65" plasmas and it looked fantastic. James Cameron and Jon Landau went through it with a fine tooth comb.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
There may be a "price war" for who offers this at the lowest price in the U.S., but not here in Canada. Here, I haven't seen any release day-only prices of anything below $25, going up to almost $35 with taxes. Walmart of all places, was the most expensive at $32.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Nicholas Martin

There may be a "price war" for who offers this at the lowest price in the U.S., but not here in Canada. Here, I haven't seen any release day-only prices of anything below $25, going up to almost $35 with taxes. Walmart of all places, was the most expensive at $32.

I feel your pain on Canadian MSRP vs US MSRP especially with the currency being at parity.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
That is actually a part of why I entered the contest to win it. It's one of the few contests open to Canadians, plus that high Canadian price tag, plus the fact that it's been fun tracking down those Pandorapedia facts and it adds up.

I'm going to tear through every inch of the Avatar website once the film is out, thanks to the press release information about the disc unlocking new features. I'm thinking of it as BD-Live, only more user-friendly.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Some scenes aren't CGI, but the CGI is so good that its hard to tell.
Even my wife said the lead army guy with the scars in his hair looked like cgi.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Keep in mind there will be a discount for owners of the first disc when they buy the second.

Is there any more info on this yet? I've got the first disc, registered it online and haven't received a thing concerning a discount.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

Is there any more info on this yet? I've got the first disc, registered it online and haven't received a thing concerning a discount.

We will be at Blu-Con next week. I'll check in with Fox and see if I can get an answer there..

AlexS2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alexander
Discounts were already sent.

It was a $5 off coupon, but it could only be used at Foxconnect.com.

Amazon.com have since pricematched it with their $29.99 price

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks