What's new

Avatar DVD likely in June - Fox's Murdoch speaks (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i9ee4b481143e87d79516ecde091df129?imw=Y

NEW YORK -- News Corp. is in very early talks with James Cameron about a possible "Avatar" sequel.

Asked about potential "Avatar" sequels, chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch said on his quarterly earnings call Tuesday that the conglomerate is in "very early talks about it." Director James Cameron "has ideas" for a sequel, he said, adding: "We will be pushing for one."

But he cautioned analysts not to "hold your breath for an early one" in a possible reference to Cameron projects often taking a long time to come to fruition.

News Corp. deputy chairman, president and COO Chase Carey interjected that both sides want to make another movie. "We certainly both intend to have one," he said.

The executives said financing of a sequel like of any movies these days would be key as News Corp. likes to lay off risk, especially since Cameron films tend to go over budget. But given the success of "Avatar," financing details could come together.

Management also said 60% or more of the profit from "Avatar" will come in over the next two quarters, adding the firm will continue its theater run as the boxoffice goes well, with a DVD release also planned soon after the theatrical run. A DVD release date hasn't been announced so far.

Pushed further on details about the DVD plans for "Avatar," Murdoch said it will be released during his company's current fiscal year, which ends June 30. But he also highlighted that it won't be a 3D DVD release as that technology isn't developed enough yet. But Carey added there could be a 3D "Avatar" DVD release further "down the road" when the technology is ready.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I can't say that I care either way, but I missed the part in the article where is says there will be no Blu anytime soon. Was that supposed to say 3D instead of BD?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I have this vision in my head of the marketing people ginning up plans to release separate "left eye" and "right eye" 2-D editions. :)

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks