AVATAR Blu-ray Looks Amazing (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
AVATAR Is the #1 Movie in North America -- This Time on Blu-ray and DVD

Fans Return To Pandora Delivering Record Breaking Blu-ray Sales In Only Four Days

Epic Fantasy Has Become Tipping Point for Blu-ray Adoption

LOS ANGELES, CA (4/26/2010) - Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment announced today that James Cameron’s phenomenal epic AVATAR became the best selling Blu-ray of all time after just four days in stores, with an astonishing 2.7 million units sold in North America alone. AVATAR Blu-ray sales crushed the previous record of 2.5 million units.

Retail sales of AVATAR Blu-ray and DVD Discs have exceeded 6.7 million units since its launch last Thursday, on pace to be the best selling title in recent history.

The extraordinary initial sales for AVATAR are clearly a game changer for the Blu-ray format. Blu-ray players for the first time are surpassing DVD players at retail outlets across the country as fans are upgrading their systems to experience the best picture and sound quality available.

The ultimate high definition experience for home viewing audiences, the April AVATAR Blu-ray and DVD release features the film and corresponding menu, utilizing the disc’s entire storage space in order to provide the highest quality picture and sound. An action-adventure journey of self-discovery that dramatically demonstrates how human invasion almost destroys the balance of life on the planet Pandora, the Oscar® and Golden Globe®-winning AVATAR is the highest grossing film of all time, taking in over $2.7 billion in worldwide box office. Written by James Cameron and produced with his long-time collaborator Jon Landau, AVATAR stars Sam Worthington, Zoë Saldana, Sigourney Weaver, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez, Giovanni Ribisi, Joel David Moore, CCH Pounder, W

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
so maybe all the comments about Avatar being a "game changer"?

really mean home entertainment fans finally upgrading their setups to HD Blu-Ray, rather than the 3D presentation of Avatar in the cinemas ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Omar and Ric, I'm with ya on the eyesight. I loved How to Train Your Dragon in the theater (didn't see Avatar yet), but am really looking forward to revisiting it on Blu without having to squint all the time to focus.

I also agree with the other poster that, for me as well, a DLP image is superior to LCD or plasma (with the occasional exception of rainbowing whites, which is a small price to pay for the generally more film-like image).

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Adoption

http://mail.google.com/a/hometheaterforum.com/?ui=2&ik=9ea1f35437&view=att&th=1283ad0045be4172&attid=0.0.1.1&disp=emb&zw">
[/b][/SIZE][CENTER] [/CENTER]
[FONT= Calibri][SIZE=17px][b]In Ron's post 81, what does the above mean? [img]http://mail.google.com/a/hometheaterforum.com/?ui=2&ik=9ea1f35437&view=att&th=1283ad0045be4172&attid=0.0.1.1&disp=emb&zw
[/FONT]

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
My local Ralph's grocery store has the Avatar Blu-Ray for sale. First time I have ever seen a Blu-Ray in a supermarket.

The wanted $29.99 for it!

Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

I also agree with the other poster that, for me as well, a DLP image is superior to LCD or plasma (with the occasional exception of rainbowing whites, which is a small price to pay for the generally more film-like image).
I have owned 3 HDTV's and 2 projectors so far, and I have to say my DLP has to be my favorite of them all. When 3 chip DLP projectors drop in price, that will probably be my next purchase.

Originally Posted by FreyTheater
Hoooo yeah. Not just Avatar. Planet Earth BBC edition, Watchmen Directors Cut, Kung Fu Panda, Transformers. Got some really great deals from Amazon! 'Tis a good day for Blu-ray!

I am holding off on seeing it, for one day. I am having a ladyfriend come over tomorrow (she invited herself!), and I want to see it with fresh eyes with her.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Alright, I'm just going to have to throw some water on this shameless tribute to the Avatar blu-ray. The menus continue the tradition of having so little contrast between selected and unselected buttons, it is nearly impossible to see what is selected. Yeah, take that Cameron

Having said that, the movie is gorgeous. I had only seen the movie in Imax 3D and it looks wonderful on my 46" Sammy. The only time I missed 3D was when we were shown Grace's snapshots and they were only 2D. Other than that, I loved watching and listening to it.

The disc does do one thing I really like. It has resume, of a sort. I watched the movie over two sessions and when I restarted, I was asked if I wanted to resume where I left off. Automatic bookmarking, terrific. I've had maybe 1-2 discs that do that and I forget which ones.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I meant to mention one other very cool feature about this disc that I haven't seen talked about and that is the resume feature! On BD!

It allows you to leave off where you were even if you remove the disc from the tray and put it back in later, now if they can do that with this BD why can't they do it for all BD's?

I know about Java and all that but the later seasons of Lost on BD also had a feature called 'Season Play' that recalls where you were on any episode and they used Java.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by Inspector Hammer!

I meant to mention one other very cool feature about this disc that I haven't seen talked about and that is the resume feature! On BD!

It allows you to leave off where you were even if you remove the disc from the tray and put it back in later, now if they can do that with this BD why can't they do it for all BD's?

I know about Java and all that but the later seasons of Lost on BD also had a feature called 'Season Play' that recalls where you were on any episode and they used Java.
That's even better than I thought it was. I resumed without removing the disc. The disc software must be saving the bookmark info on the player's external memory card. You're right, if they can do it, why don't the others?

The chat was amazing, I really was surprised I managed to get a question in. I am so geeking out right now, Thanks so much you guys, what an awesome treat and JL seems like a really nice guy!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by John Morgan

Then another minute of nothing until a Fox video appeared on screen. Then nothing but black for yet another minute or so until things FINALLY got going. At the minimum it was a four to five-minute load-up.

But, the sections I checked out tonight really did look and sound wonderful.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

The owners will be posting up a full transcript before you can say...Sam Worthington!

Sam Worth....Oh. The transcript will be up tomorrow sometime. Troy, glad you were able to make it for the last 30 min, and Omar glad you were able to get a question in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks