What's new

AVATAR Blu-ray Looks Amazing (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Then I guess that's where we differ. I feel that the transfer on this Avatar disc sets a new reference for high definition home video. While I agree that the titles you mention are all excellent in that respect, Avatar stomps them in my opinion. Handily.

You guys are killin' me! I was at work when the UPS guy came by, and now I can't pick up my copy till Monday!

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I sit 7' feet away from my 96" 16:9 screen and have a Epson 1080ub throwing the 1080p image and my jaw was on the floor, and out the door. Seriously, this is the most impressive Blu-ray I've ever seen...and heard. WOW!!! The details, the sharpness, the colors, the blacks...it's just perfect.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
It's just personal preference. I like the tighter framing of the 2.35:1 image when it came to anything involving intimate character interaction. I thought that in a lot of those shots all that extra head and legroom was just dead space and helped to reduce the impact of character expressions. I did think that the 1.78:1 framing helped all of the aerial shots and aerial battle action. In those parts the 1.78:1 framing was a definite improvement because it gave the scenes more of a feeling of depth. I have to say I kind of wish that he had gone the "The Dark Knight" route on this film: 2.35:1 for everything but the aerial action. I think that would have looked pretty good, because I tried it. Oh well, it's not to be. It still looks good. The all 1.78:1 framing just reminds me more of a TV movie than a theatrical film, especially with something as epic looking as this film is, but its his personal preference and I'm stuck with it.

Its interesting that you mention the flying scenes as James Cameron does as well when talking about why its a 16:9 release. He also confirms that the 2.35:1 was "extracted" from the 16:9, so nothing is missing when you view it in 16:9 (sides aren't cropped).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Oh, and congrats to Fox for smashing the previous blu-ray one day sales record set by the Dark Knight: 1.5 million vs 600,000.

FreyTheater

Stunt Coordinator
Amish Country - Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Real Name
Troy Frey
oh man, Omar - that really sux!... I absolutely get furious when Fedex or UPS won't leave the dang package on the porch... it is such a pain and way out of my way to go to the distribution hub to pick up a package - really makes me want to go postal, lol... :)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hey John. How are you pal?

I have watched this twice now and am still amazed at it's perfection. The theatrical presentation was one of, if not THE, best filmgoing experiences of my life. And now the home theater video presentation of this great film is likewise the BEST. On my 65" SONY, it's easily the best I have ever seen, head and heels above those other great tansfers mentioned here.

To quote the esteemed Robert Harris: "As a Blu-ray, with six times the resolution of SD, Avatar takes another leap forward, with absolute and undeniable aural and visual perfection. On Blu-ray, it will be the one to beat as true reference for high end systems. But within the parameters of the Blu-ray system, it may well be unbeatable. Until we're all projecting true 4-4-4 2k in our home theaters, I don't see how anything can better this release."

As with the film, the bar has now been raised for Blu-Ray.

P.S. I also popped in the SD DVD in my PS3, and while it can't hold a candle to the Blu-Ray, it too is an excellent transfer and will come in handy when travelling with my laptop and portable DVD player.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Hey, Tino, I've been good, Jerry says hi, too, I just got off the phone with him.

Well, I use the word 'yuck' loosely lol, it is a decent DVD but compared to the BD, wow, you can really see the drop in quality, especially if you had just got done watching the BD and the memory of what it looked like is still fresh in your mind.

But yep, it will serve some purpose so I'm really glad they included it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

Its interesting that you mention the flying scenes as James Cameron does as well when talking about why its a 16:9 release. He also confirms that the 2.35:1 was "extracted" from the 16:9, so nothing is missing when you view it in 16:9 (sides aren't cropped).

Thanks for posting the clip. It was interesting to hear his view. I still think a lot of this film works better compositionally at 2.35:1; however, I guess the 1.78:1 ratio doesn't bother me all that much since I have watched this film all the way through twice already and I only bought it Thursday night. I guess I'm more impressed with the quality of this disc than I thought I was. After four views, I find that some of the story points are irritating, but I really can't fault the visuals that much. They are probably the main thing that have made me spin this disc twice already. Those and the score. Initially, I thought the score wasn't all that great but having seen this film four times already, I have to say that the score has grown on me a lot: enough that I might actually track it down on CD.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Edwin-S

Initially, I thought the score wasn't all that great but having seen this film four times already, I have to say that the score has grown on me a lot: enough that I might actually track it down on CD.
When it comes to the score, the CD does a fair job in representing it, but there was so much music written for this film that a lot of it ended up being unused. At least a CD worth was dropped entirely. I imagine some of it is for the scenes not included in the film, but Cameron has always put the scores for his films in a blender and grounded them up.

If you buy it as a digital download you get 5 additional cues, but they are actually synthesized demos originally used as temp score before the final orchestral recording sessions took place.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Colin Jacobson

Hey, does anyone know if the DVD that comes with the Blu-ray is the exact same one that's available separately?
It would have to be, wouldn't it? Neither release has any bonus features, and it wouldn't make any sense to somehow make two different types/versions. The specs/quality should be exactly the same for both.

The notion of no trailers wasn't exactly true, since both the Blu-ray and DVD have the "Amazing Life" THX trailer at the end after the credits, and the DVD has an anti-smoking commercial.

srh1983

Auditioning
Real Name
Jesse
I honestly had to join over "Tinos" James Cameron's ass kissing review...so anyways...really liked Avatar on IMAX 3D, story was nothing special or deep but a good popcorn movie. I know it made the most money but still sold nowhere near the tickets Titanic did (Titanic will also make more total money when re-released in 3D in 2012) anyways, this guy has killed me when he said "almost 3D like" Is this guy for real...[COMMENT REMOVED BY MOD]....there is no "almost" 3D. There is either 3D or NOT!!!!!!!!!! I saw a little and it was lame visual wise since I am comparing it to IMAX 3D. I am not even watching in until I get my 3D TV up and then will get the 3D version next year....almost 3D like....[COMMENT REMOVED BY MOD]

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Jesse-
Welcome to Home Theater Forum. Since you are new you might not be aware of our policy of no personal attacks. Feel free to disagree with anyone's opinion, but there is no need to take it to a personal level. I have edited your post.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I banned the poster. We don't tolerate such behavior/dialogue here.

Take it elsewhere.

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I banned the poster. We don't tolerate such behavior/dialogue here.

Take it elsewhere.

thank you Ronald :)

a civilised Forum, is a civilised forum!

perhaps, a rare entity, in the wild west that is the internetz....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks