What's new

Avalanche 15" advice needed please (1 Viewer)

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered my ava 15" today and now I need to decide on a box model. I want to use a large ported box design but I have never built one and wanted someone to look over my numbers.

The sub will be used 100% for HT and I will most likely be using the pe500 amp unless some one has a better suggestion (I don't care if its rack or plate) and if enough people think it will make a significant improvement I will get a BFD as well.

The two I've come up with are

8^3 ft tuned to 20Hz
10^3 ft tuned to 16Hz

Do these seem about right? Does anyone have any other suggestions for size and tuning?

My room size is 13x20x9 ft with a closeable door.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
It'd be nice if ascendant hadn't removed all their links to the specs. You wouldn't happen to have them for that driver, do you?

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Just in case they take down their old website.

Fs 15.7 Hz
Qms 3.5
Qes .334
Qts .305
Vas 300.6 L
Re 3.2 ohms
Znom* 4 ohms
Xmax 27 mm
Sd 749 cm2
Mms 269 g
Vd 4.04 L
Pnom 800 watts
Le 2.4 mH
Cutout 14.125"
Diameter 15.5"
Depth 7.875"
Weight 37 pounds

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Ok an update on this. I will be getting a bfd for sure. I want this thing to go as low as possible. I am now considering a 12^3ft enclosure tuned to 15 Hz. If anyone has any advice please give it I realy want to get this thing right. If you think it can be tuned lower let me know. The enclosure can be as big as it needs to be (ok 50^3 ft is about the limit I could go). I will most likely be getting the O audio 500w bash amplifier.

Patrick D

Stunt Coordinator
I'd leave the BFD alone for a little bit and kick in the $50 needed to go to the 18" ava. Then, tune that puppy to 12hz in 20ft^3! It'd still play nice with the 500w amp too. :)

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
Hehe The sub is bought and paid for I am just waiting for it to arrive. I almost bought the 18" but It just seemed a little too much (size not money) for my room size.

Mark--M

Stunt Coordinator

An 18 is too big but your planning on using a 12ft box? Wouldnt an 18 will be a much better match for a box that size?

Chad reccomends 6.5-7ft and 16hz tunning, I think id just go with that if you still use the 15. Maybe go 8.5ft and 15hz if you want it even deeper.

If your using simulation software its a good idea to have the graph sloping a little to compensate for room gain.

BlakeN

Stunt Coordinator
I have been playing arround with all types of simulations. I emailed Chad today I hope he has the time to get back to me. I know he was doing all sorts of real world testing but stoped after adire fallout.

I probably should have gone with the 18" but whats done is done and I need to find the best solution for what I have.

I am hoping Chad did some testing with a very large box tuned very very low. 14^3ft at 11Hz is looking very interesting I just dont know how it would perform in the real world.

I might just have to build it and see what happens. I can always cut it in half later :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks