What's new

av1s in sonotube (1 Viewer)

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased the gr research av1s kit (without enclosure). Would it be alright if I used 8 or 10 inch sonotube as the enclosure? I already have a 24" FRONTFiring tempest sonotube, and I think it would look nice if i carried a common look to all my speakers.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think that would be a problem... Just make sure you do a good job sealing around the drivers, I think that would be the hardest part to make look good...

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I'm really not sure how they would work mounted on the end of a 8-10" diameter cylinder. The A/V-1 design calls for a baffle of 8" width, but the cylinder will be 8" at it's widest point. It's possible that this could have a negative affect on them but to what extent I don't know.

Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
You have to get the alignment of the tweeter and woofer correct otherwise they may not perform as they should. This will be difficult to do in a tube unless it's large enough to accomidate both drivers. Danny Richie is probably the only one that can answer this question completely. Contact him.

AlexKunec

Stunt Coordinator
Contacted Dan at GR. Changing the size of the front baffle will affect response. I guess there is more to speakerbuilding then to subwoofer building.

Thanks

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Alex,

I was pretty sure it would change things quite a bit. The width of the baffle is taken into consideration when designing the crossover. Change the baffle width and you might as well redesign the crossover.

Brian

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
It may take some work, but if you are set on the sono look, build the front baffle per GR specs and mount a sono tube on the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks