What's new

Auto racing weekend (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
For the OTA folks like myself, It will be a fun weekend to finally see a Monaco Grand Prix on broadcast. Hopefully there won't be too much missed on the Indy 500 during the Monaco race, hopefully just pre-race stuff and Jim Nabors singing.

I am curious is anyone knows if the HD broadcast will be widescreen for both races. I highly doubt CBS's coverage of the Monaco race will widescreen, but maybe the 500 will be.

JamesED

Second Unit
I heard the Indy 500 won't be in HD, so I'm guessing no WS. Alas, I don't know since I'll be blacked out anyways. If all goes well for me, I should be there Sunday anyways. If not, I've got a radio.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

If you're in the Indianapolis area, the local ABC affiliate usually shows the race that evening.

Blu

Screenwriter
I believe that the Coca Cola 600 starts after the Indy is over with, I mean the race not the league.

JamesED

Second Unit

I've never been able to get into taped events. Especially when it is very likely to be spoiled by 7pm, the start of the re-air.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Did some searching and it seems that the race track itself originates the broadcast feed for the Indy 500 and they send that to the world, including ABC. They may not have an HD set up on the track yet. Not clear if it will be HD or not this year. And looks like the same for Monaco and F1.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
FYI, if Formula 1 is on CBS it will suck.

The announcers suck, no nothing about racing, and are easily the worst automotive announcers in the world.

It absolutely blows that CBS gets to do 4 races.

It also will not be in HD.

CBS tries to hide the grand secret that the great guys at Speed Vision don't mind telling people.

Neither CBS nor Speed is actually at the race. They watch a feed provided by Formula One Administration in a booth somewhere. That feed is provided by the local TV stations which since they are in Europe they are not in HD.

The proble m is, the Speed guys sound they are in a bar having a good time and the CBS guys sound like they are sitting on bar stools too...just ones upside down :)

If Bernie wants F1 to catch on in the US, CBS is not the place for it.

Thankfully CBS only gets to ruin one more race this year, three mistakes made, one left to go.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I agree with Eric that the CBS guys are not in the same league as the Speed TV's, but to be fair I thought they did a much better job for the last GP they covered compared to the previous one.

BTW for those who have not heard yet, Schumacher has had his pole position taken away for apparently deliberately stopping his car on the track in the final seconds of qualifying, preventing other drivers from completing their laps at full speed.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
You give them far too much credit.

They suck :)

They do nothing to give the viewer, especially one who does not understand open wheel racing, the information to appreciate the sport.

They sound like bad used car salesman.

Lets count:

1. How many times the guy says CRASHING OVER THE CORNERS, its called the proper line.

2. The laps count BACKWARDS IN THIS FORMULA ONE RACING

Those the two that stick in my head...there will be more as the day goes on.

It does look however from the first 10 minutes Derick Daly is gone, maybe my hate mail did not go unheard. Most annoying announcer I've ever heard.

I guess I'm one of "those F1 people" :)

Well I might have been wrong again....the new announcer just called Felipe Massa "feep Massa"....

Wait, he just called Alain Prost, ALAN Prost...

Just shoot me now....

[edit] Well now the guy got the G meter and the throttle meter mixed up...he thinks the G Meter is how far they are into the throttle instead of looking at the throttle meter right below it :frowning:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, into the race now and since I have no exposure to Speed, the coverage on CBS is tainted by the comments here!:laugh:

I take what these commentators say with a grain of salt. Though it is interesting to see Danny Sullivan, or hear him comment on this race whilst the Indy 500 is going on, former CART driver he is. I am amused by his struggling with the driver's names.

Anyway, it does not take away from my focus, the racing. These guys are so fast around the track!

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Watch the race on Speed.

Its hard to explain...I road race as a hobby and the Speed guys are people you'd expect to find at a track. Interested in racing, the cars, and could talk about racing at any level. They just get it, they have a good time and are not afraid to speak their minds.

The CBS guys are suits all the way...its the difference between people who 'get it' and those who don't.

Watch the Speed coverage, it adds alot to the experience. F1 is the pinnacle of racing but one of the things about road racing is the principal and concept is the same. They bring F1 into that realm, that racing is racing. Yes there is more money in F1 than anywhere else, more technology, and the best drivers in the world(well except for Super Aguri), but its still racing.

CBS is about putting the sport on a pedestal, the Speed guys are just normal race nuts that speak in a way that is easy to relate to.

All of their coverage is good. I watched GP2, Star Mazda, and US Sports car today, plus the F1 race. You get the idea these guys could cover anything and make it exciting and understand it.

Trust me, watch Speed's rebroadcast this weekend of the Monaco race, even already knowing the outcome, it'll make sense then :)

MikeM

Screenwriter
Fox always airs their NASCAR races in HD, and this weekend's Coca-Cola 600 was no exception. Great coverage as usual. Boogody boogody boogody, let's go racin' boys!

The problem is when NASCAR coverage switches over the NBC... :thumbsdown:

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I was at the Indy 500. While the race was not exciting early, they made up for it at the end. I was sitting right by the start/finish line when Hornish passed Andretti. WOW!!! Another disappointment for the Andretti family. I never saw any interviews or analysis. Did the media play up the Andretti disappointment? While it would have been nice to see a rookie and an Andretti win, that last lap was worth the price of admission. For me, it's now on to Michigan for IRL and NASCAR races as well as the Brickyard.

CharlesD

Screenwriter

Yeah that was pretty pathetic, "Felipe" is not that hard to pronounce. Sullivan was less annoying than Daley but overall not much improvement. Plus they cut out most of the press conference. I don't know why they bother putting it on CBS at all really.

I had heard a rumor that the USGP and the Canadian GP might be broadcast in HD. How they will work that or where they will show it if it happens is a mystery to me. I think FOM does the USGP coverage and the Canadian broadcaster Montreal. It would be great to see F1 in HD, but I'm not holding my breath.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

The biggest improvement of all--you won't miss any of the action. ABC/ESPN's race coverage uses a split-screen system where when the program goes to commercial they show the race on part of the screen and commercial on another part of the screen. I'm not sure if they will implement this for the soccer World Cup coverage, though.

derek

Second Unit
This day and age for ABC to not air the Indy 500 in HD is just ridiculous. Same on you ABC. Fox's HD broadcast of the Coca-Cola 600 looked awesome.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
derek-

As I mentioned above, I did some checking and it's not exactly ABC's fault it wasn't in HD. You can blame the track and it's owner. He and it originates the feed to the world essentially. ABC get's what it gets from them. I did read that the track was looking to upgrade for next year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks