What's new

Australia: Issues with 8 disc Die Hard Collection (1 Viewer)

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
I just bought the new 8disc Die Hard Collection in Australia. For Die Hard and Die Hard 2, I thought these would have just been repackaged versions of the previous 2 disc special editions.

This is true for Die Hard, but for Die Hard 2, there seems to be a mistake. The first disc included in the collection appears to be the initial one disc release, not the first disc from the 2 disc special edition.

Has anyone else had this problem, or is this a one off thing?

Also, Die Hard 3 has previous remastered versions. I am not sure if this is a new remaster, but the video transfer is pretty poor. It does include a DTS track, but the video appears to have colour and contrast issues, which would seem to me that they have used the second remaster attempt, not the latest one......

Any comments from other Aussie buyers?

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
That does appear to be the case with Die Hard 2.

I'm not sure about Die Hard 3, because, to be honest, I was just glad it wasn't the uber-crap release that they initially did.

BTW, the package for Die Hard 2 clearly states there's a commentary, so we are well within our rights to complain. I'll give Fox a ring next week. I'll assume you will as well?

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
For Die Hard 2, the packaging indicates that it includes the commentary and also a DTS track. This means it should be identical to the first disc of the 2-disc special edition. The Die Hard special edition is correctly included (you can tell straight away by the menu animation).

For Die Hard 3, it seems the content is identical to the 2-disc special edition that was previously available in R1, but not in R4. So perhaps they got this right in that regard. The video transfer is still pretty poor though. Check out the scene when the kids walk into Samual L Jackson's store. The contrast is turned way up, it's almost unwatchable. Maybe it's just my eyes.

I already tried to call Fox, but no one answered. I assume they're on Xmas break. I will try again on Wed. I hate how they cant even get something this simple right. Is this a genuine mistake, or did they just think people wouldn't notice?

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
It's definitely a mistake. They obviously replicated the wrong Die Hard 2 disc as disc 1.

The transfer for Die Hard 3 has never been satisfactory, even when released as a two disc in the US market, IIRC.

I'll call them on Wednesday.

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
I just called Fox, and all they said was to go back to where I purchased the set and ask for a replacement. If the replacement has the same issue, then to call them back.

They said that they hadnt heard any other complaints from anyone, so they think it might be a one-off.

The guys at MichaelDVD will also check with Fox, since they have heard from a few people that there are issues.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
I contacted FHE, they were useless until I pushed them a little. Told them it was a case of them replicating from the wrong master, and that they need to do a replacement program. Gave them some names of distributors that seem to be able to do a replacement program without too much problem, and told them that the disc didn't have the features advertised.

Also explained to them that it means ALL their copies are likely FUBAR, and that this is unacceptable. Further, I mentioned that I had burned a copy of a mate's DH2-2disc disc 1, to tide me over.

He finally took my number, said he'd order a copy to the office and check it out, then call me back, so hopefully I should hear from them in the next couple of days.

BTW, the guy you want to talk to at Customer Service is a guy called Chris. He was the guy I was dealing with, and if we barrage him with legitimate calls, he is going to have to get this sorted.

And yes, he initially tried to get me to return it to the store where I purchased and swap it over. I told him a) I don't have the reciept anymore, and b) it likely won't be of any help, seeing as FHE doesn't seem to know there is a problem.

Finally, the owner/my boss at the video store where I work is going to email Fox tonight, and see what their response is to him.

I'll also email MichaelDVD.com.au with a link to this thread so they can see what's going on.

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
I just checked MichaelDVD, and Fox have already responded indicating that the incorrect disc will be replaced with the correct special edition version.

Call 1300 369 843. Here's the link to the website:

Michael D's Region 4 DVD Info Page

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
Now that I check, there appears to be an issue with Die Hard 4 as well!!!!

The case indicates an audio commentary by the writers, but I cant seem to find this on Disc 1.

Also, the case indicates a featurette "Yipee Ki Yay Mother F***". I also cannot find this on Disc 1. However, the featurette does appear on Disc 2, so this is probably just a typo on the case.

So the only major problem is the missing audio commentary on Disc 1.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
Die Hard 4 in the box is the theatrical version.

There was never a second commentary. Nowhere else in the world has it either.

Calling Fox tomorrow and will post an update.

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
I got a call from Fox telling me that they will be sending out a replacement for the Die Hard 2 Disc 1 such that it is the version from the special edition.

Regarding Die Hard 4, they indicated the audio commentary by the writers is a typo and doesnt exist. I'm not really too fussed about the audio commentary anyway.

As long as they send out the correct disc, then that's OK.

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
Has anyone received their replacement disc yet? Fox told me last week that they would be sent out this week, but I havent received anything. I'll wait until Friday afternoon before calling them up again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks