What's new

Austin does Las Vegas/ January C.E.S. (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
On the Southwest Airlines site, there's a list of hotels in the RT airfare/hotel packages. Round trip from Austin with two nights at the Sahara is $264. Hard to beat.

Ian, Steve will charge around $400. Check his web site.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi

I charge about the same. My "full meal deal" package is $400, then if a customer wants HD done (gray scale, etc) it is an extra $150.

Hank, please post a link to Steve's site. I am in the process of making an official HTF calibrator page (in the TV/ projector area) and will add Steve to the list.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Gregg, here is Steve's home page: Link Removed
Click on Smart Calibration,LLC. Steve is an MIT man, used to work for T.I. Very smart, and a very nice guy.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Thanks Hank!!
Have you read my ID4 review?? Im kind of chuckling right now! One line is "you went to MIT for 8 years to become a cable TV repairman". :)

Raelene

Agent
I've never been to Las Vegas before and I don't know anything about speakers but it sounds like fun. How old do you have to be? Would I have to get a permission slip from my mom?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Raelene, if you're over 18, give me a call and I'll explain it all. Also, you should have a travelling companion, preferably an experienced man, when you go to that big, bad old Las Vegas. We should talk.:wink:

(I have about 3 names in mind as to the author's identity)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I think the old man is trying to goad a response on this one. Hank, if you try do any "explaining" to Raelene you'll some splaining to do to me!!

Jonathan

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Old, my a$$! You need a lesson, BOY, and if you're going to be disrespectful, please do so in complete English sentences :D
Yes, your GF is on my list of suspects, but actually, smartmouth Nils was #1 suspect.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Watch out guys, Hank asked if my wife had a sister! Actually, she does! An identical twin! :) But she's married. And as you know with twins there's always an evil one. Luckily I didn't marry that one!
Brian

Raelene

Agent
Hank & Jonathan,

Thanks for offering your help. So basically your saying that as long as I'm 18 or older I can go without asking my mom, right? Well, I live at home and She's never let me out of the city, let alone the state. Do you think she would be mad if I went all the way to Las Vegas with an old man? I'm sure she would go through the roof if I went with a little boy. I need to be protected in a strange city not babysitting. Thanks for your imput!

Raelene

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Well, there's nothing little about me, and I've been known to rescue the occasional damsel in distress so I think I've got the protection thing down too.
Tell you what Hank, we can both send her our photos and let her pick :eek:

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
"Well, there's nothing little about me..."
Puleeze! Let's keep this reparte on a high level. Size of bank account does matter.
I'm getting a bit weary of the adjective "old". Okay Jonathan, a photo duel it is. Me in my SCUBA gear and you in your most dashing pocket protector-enhanced engineer's outfit.;)
Let the games begin!

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter

Never owned a pocket protector in my life. I'll match your SCUBA gear with a closet full of backpacking gear and raise you a Calvin Klein suit.

I fear we may be annoying the locals, perhaps we should start a new thread: Male HTFers pointless posturing to impress female HTFers.

Speaking of that, anyone notice that audiophilia tends to be almost exclusively male, while hometheater has a fair amount of female enthusiasts? Why is that?

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, women do tend to like movies more than audiophile two-channel. Those audophile listening sessions tend to be concentrated solo experiences, whereas movies are usually a group (at least two people) experience. You don't go to movies alone, but putting on a CD solo is the norm. And, women seem to enjoy overtly reacting to movies and sharing reactions in the form of making comments. My two cents.
J: I'll see your Klein suit and raise you one cool Kenneth Cole shirt. Never mind, the pointless posturing is a waste of testosterone. Shall we steer this boat back towards the subject?: C.E.S. and Las Vegas
What are everyone's main interests in seeing - high-end audio, display devices, personal electronics/gadgets, what? It's a big show and unless you stay for the whole thing, you might want to concentrate on one or two areas.
Entertainment - what kind? I discovered the Blue Note jazz club across the street from the Harley Davidson Club. After John Belushi and his L.A. band, there was some fine jazz at the Blue Note.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
Hank, I haven't seen a reply from the mysterious Raelene lately. I think we got played my friend.

I'll be there for all 4 days of the show. Of course most of my time will be spent making business connections, but I am very curious to listen to some of the ultra high-end two channel systems. The rest of the time I'll probably be carusing the multi-channel audio and high-end video setups. I wonder if anyone will have the guts to show up with a CRT or if everything will be DLP and DILA?

Josh_Hull

Auditioning
Not to piss on anyone's Cheetos, but y'all are headed to Lost Wages, and your entertainment options are music and business contacts?!?!?!?!?!
Now, where was that 9 MM... Ah there it is. [shoots self]

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
What?! You can do stuff in Vegas besides listen to obscenely expensive stereos? Someone misinformed me, I'm calling my travel agent.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, will you be trying to contact mainly hi-fi shop owners? Lots of DLP RPTV action - I saw two at INFOCOMM and most mfgrs have been prototyping the TI chipsets. JVC LCOS imagers for FPTV. We need some good old fashioned competition in the area of quality LCOS imagers.
I don't know if Josh is joshing, but just keep your eyes straight ahead at all times and don't take any "brochures" from kids on the sidewalk, as they are not describing the local water parks.;) Maybe Raelene should accompany YOU and keep YOU on the straight and narrow. Yes my friend, we did get played - our eternal fate as men.:frowning:

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
I guess I missed all the fun last week?
Hank said:
Yes, your GF is on my list of suspects, but actually, smartmouth Nils was #1 suspect.
Where's the love Hank? ;) Besides, there's only room for one smartmouth in a group, and you beat us all to that position, right? :D
I couldn't quite tell from all the discussions, but I assume your friend "Raelene" turned out to be JD's GF? If so, I like her style!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks