What's new

Austin does Las Vegas/ January C.E.S. (1 Viewer)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I received an e-mail notification that registration is now open for the 2003 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, January 9-12. I've been wanting to attend a C.E.S. for years and it's time for action. Any of you Austin HT enthusiasts want to go as a group? Southwest Airlines has good flight/hotel packages - I did one when I went to INFOCOMM on business in June.
What do you think? Can Las Vegas handle us? Viva! :D

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
The Mirus Audio team will be there. We don't have a booth this year, but we'll be scoping it out for a display in 2004.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
As mentioned before I will have to be a maybe this year due to our new addition, but I'd say there is a 90% chance that I'll be there.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan, I was going to ask if Mirus would attend and I'd volunteer to do relief booth duty (I don't work for free though - it'd cost you a lunch or several beers;) ).
Greg: what's the new biz venture?
At this point it appears there may be half a dozen Austinites attending. I just registered - here's the link:
http://ww4.expocard.com/ces031/?EDM=EM02
Nils, remember those brownie points. Now's the time to start racking 'em up.;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Hank,
With my new soon to be self employed status I would love to represent the East Austin area! :)
Brian

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Ill be there. Perhaps we can all meet up??

BTW, Ill be in Austin in October. Anybody need an ISF calibration?? Let me know,

Regards

Gregg

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Gregg, looking forward to meeting you. Others, spread the word about Gregg's visit to Austin. I already had my entry-level Samsung RPTV cal'd by Steve Martin from Dallas, so maybe we can find some business for Gregg.

Guys, maybe we should pick a Vegas hotel soon.

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I know the Riveria isn't the coolest hotel in Vegas, but they have a $49 per night special right now. Seems like a good deal.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
I stayed at the Sahara last month. Mid week it was $29, on the weekend it was 79?. It is at the end of the strip but the price was right :)

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
where it's gonna be for sure? I think Convention Center is the only place I guess.
I'll be there for sure, hopefully few more guys in vegas area will be there too.
Gregg is right, Sahara is a good hotel to stay. Very cheap and close to that Convention center, you can even walk. You might check out Strastophere hotel, it also cheap and nicer than Sahara (next to Sahara on South)

Binh Vu

Stunt Coordinator
aaarrrrgggg, just ask a guy here who been there before and he said we need to be in this business with a badge or something to get in? How do you get in if they required you must be in this business?

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
"Badgeez, badgeez.... wee dawnt need naw stinkeen badgeez"

BTW: CES passes are not hard to come by, and if you are willing to spend a little $, they are easy to come by. No worries.

Greg Risley

Second Unit
There is a very easy way to get in that doesn't cost $$.
I will send Collin an email with details later for him to email out to Austin HTF group that won't cost anyone a cent.
Greg

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Indeed, we do need steenkeeng badtches, but if you register as a company, you can get a steenkeeng badtch.

If you have sold speakers, interconnects or consulted with someone re home theater in any technical or esthetic aspect, you just might be in the business. HF Consultants registered last year but was unable to attend. The owner has registered again and plans to attend this time around.
Questions? Send me an e-mail.

Hotel: a hotel within walking distance is a plus, so what's the concensus? I'm flexible - a decent, roachless room with hot water does it for me. I'll check SW Airlines packages.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Here's a link to the Soutwest Airlines package pricing (estimated at this early date): round-trip airfare, 2 nights double occupancy. Various hotels and related pricing are listed.
http://www.swavacations.com/res/reservations.htm[/url]
Choose Austin departure city, Las Vegas destination and dates, then you'll get a choice of packages, then a list of hotels/prices.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
For all of you who are anxiously awaiting the release of the Digital Video Essentials discs, unfortunately it looks like you'll have to wait a little longer. The good news is that they might be ready by CES, and if so, those attending will likely get a chance to check it out early.
I just received the following message from Joe:
----- Original Message -----
To: Nils Luehrmann
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: DVE UPC numbers?
9 September
Nils,
Congratulations on the birth in your family.
We've had yet another setback in the production process. I'll be lucky if the project is done by CES at the rate we are currently going.
I don't have any UPC numbers assigned. I suspect it will be January before I can provide that information.
Joe Kane
Nils Luehrmann wrote:
Joe, Any update on the expected release dates for the four DVE's (Home System-NTSC, Home System-PAL, Professional, and High Definition)? Also, what are the UPC numbers for these discs (assuming they have already been assigned)? Thanks Joe, I'll see you in January (I might be bringing along the newest member of the Luehrmann family, Erik Arthur Luehrmann (6.22.02 - 8lbs, 3ozs)! Nils Luehrmann
--
Joe Kane Productions web site
http://www.videoessentials.com
It seams they are having a great deal of difficulty making the discs format agnostic, and Joe doesn't want to compromise on this technicality. In the meantime, I went ahead and updated the DVD Profiler database to include all four DVE discs (all though the HD version is not really a DVD, but a D-VHS). I also included cover shots and details about the discs as they are in current form (they could change however).

Danny Richie

Stunt Coordinator
I try to make it every year. I may be involved with one of my clients that may be exhibiting this year. If so my time may be more limited.

But getting together with a group of you guys there would be fun too.

Let me know if any of you guys have trouble getting in. If I remember correctly it is not an open to the public event. You must be some type of industry related professional to get in, and must be registered and be wearing your identification badge to be allowed into the exhibits.

Maybe you guys can all go as part of the Mirus Audio Team.

I let a few guys go as GR Research Representatives a few years ago so they could get in and last year I let a client go as a GR Research Consultant.

Last year I was able to book air fair to and from plus 4 nights at the Excalibur for less than $450.00 for two people. 727 straight from DFW....

Shop around the travel agencies and you can find some really cheap Vegas package deals.

Ian B

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know how much Greg or Steve charge for an ISF calibration? I have a new Sony 57" widescreen that would like for either one to calibrate.

thanks,

Ian b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks