What's new

AudioControl C101 III (Happy or Unhappy with it ?????) (1 Viewer)

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Hi C101 owners,
Can you guys tell me if you're happy/unhappy with it and why?
I am looking at buying this to enhance or tailor the sound to my liking as good sound is only what sounds good in my ears regardless if it's "TRUE" or "not". (what is true anyways, but that's a different subject. :) )
Is there something else you guys preferred over this in the $400 range?
Thanks guy,
Mark

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No need to look any further, Mark. The C101 is the best of it’s kind. Its specs blow the doors off every other 1-octave (ten band) EQ on the market.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, thanks...are you using the c101 in a 2 channels setup or in a combo with others for surround?
I will be using it for 2 channels stereo (music), does it really enhance the sound to your liking?
Any other owners?? :)
Mark

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No, I’m using AudioControl’s 1/3-octave EQs. However, I’m familiar with the C101 – I researched a lot of EQs before I bought the ones I have.

I’ve had ten-band equalizers in the past (not even as good as that one), and enjoyed them very much. They can be very useful as a sophisticated tone control. In other words, it can enhance poorly recorded source material, or minor anomalies with your speakers. If you keep that in mind, you’ll be happy with the C101 – don’t try to use it to correct room-induced problems.

With only one or two exceptions, the only equalizers I’ve ever seen reviewed in hi-fi mags the past 15 years have been AudioControl. Considering the fact that magazines and reviewers will generally pass on a particular product rather than give it a bad review, that speaks volumes about AudioControl. Bottom line, AudioControl is the premier manufacturer of consumer equalizers, IMO; their specs are as good as or better than the most expensive equalizers in the pro audio field (we’re talking about stuff costing $2500 or more).

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

LCSeminole

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Laurence
Mark, I have 2 Audio Control C-101 series III's. I use them for music only in 2 channel stereo or 5 channel stereo mode. Wayne's right, you won't find another equalizer built this well with the spec's it has. One note of caution, you'll need a main-in/pre-out loop or tape monitor loop on your receiver, or put it/them in-between the pre-amp and power amp as I have them set up. You won't be dissappointed if you get one. Let us know what you end up with.

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Laurence_C,

What do you mean by "main-in/pre-out loop or tape monitor loop"? My understanding was the CD --> C101 --> Denon 5600. However, I do have the pre-out/tape monitor if I need to set it up that way...though I don't quite understand that concept.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If you have a tape monitor loop, and if it is switchable (many these days are not), you could use the equalizer for other music sources, like FM radio.

Just make sure you disengage the tape monitor for movies, or your receiver will default to Pro-Logic.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Mark Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
Wayne, I see...thanks. UPS just delivered it yesterday! :) Since it's a gift from the wife I can't play with it until Xmas! :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks