What's new

Audio/Video things that irritate you. (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member

More specifically, the failure to understand that while the stuff which "goes into" the mike, and the stuff which "comes out of" the speaker is sound, the stuff in-between is an electrical signal, i.e., a time varying electrical potential and/or flow of electric charges used to convey information.

--
H

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I meant full frame as in a frame of film wangdangit! Meaning originally non-widescreen films in the theatres such as: (list time again, dammit!)

Captain Blood
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Gunga Din
Rashomon
The Adventures of Robin Hood
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
The Maltese Falcon
The Mark of Zorro
The Prince and the Pauper
Gone with the Wind
The Sea Hawk
The Incredible Shrinking Man
Creature From the Black Lagoon
Dracula
Frankentstein
The Invisible Man
Casablanca

The ABOVE are all "full frame" titles! I wasn't talking about dimensions of a fracking television set! I was talking about aspect ratios! Farking flippity doo-dah!

And that stupid advertisement claiming that Blu-ray is "beyond high definition" when it's just a seperate optical disc media format for high def! What the damn hell?! They're both high def but use different disc structures and from different companies. Beyond high definition will be when HVD comes along and will most likely be 4K resolution perhaps...:crazy:

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Holographic storage designs are the future, screw HD-DVD and Blu-Ray (mostly just Blu-Ray, because Sony sucks).

Another thing that annoys me, Sony audio products. This company can't do anything right. Even Sony knows that it sucks.

Also, Equalizers and Behringer PA amplifiers used for home theater applications. I will never understand why people think that it is a good idea to use a PA amplifier to power good speakers.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
DVDs without chapter stops. Nothing kills the mood of Mulholland Drive as much as a misplaced tap of the "previous channel/chapter/track" button.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The amps have noisy fans. The are the cheapest PA amps, or at least among the cheapest of the breed. They are like the KLH of PA amps.

And I just don't like EQ's. My speakers sound fine without them. If you have an EQ, do you just leave it on the same setting all the time. Most people I know can't stop playing with the adjustments. I just find them annoying. They aren't for me. I guess they serve a purpose, I just don't see the point.

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Boomy subs at big box electronic stores. You walk in to Best Buy and immediately you know someone is demoing the latest action DVD. Overblown, tubby, bass.........I suppose the sheer volume is suppose to impress J6P. And worse, he goes home with the same shitbox, and duplicates the effect, thinking that's how HT should be.

DVD players in SUVs and minivans. First of all I hate SUVs but that's another topic. What's up with parents needing to numb their kids? What ever happened to talking, quiet time, crosswords, reading a book, or just simply........... thinking or daydreaming? I'm convinced that the mind needs quiet time. It seems like a waste of time to stare outside on a car ride, but the mind is exercised. Like sleep for the body, daydreaming I'm sure is healthy for the brain. But no....it's easier to just play Over the Hedge to shut them up.

Text messaging. I firmly believe that although people are communicating more, we are also communicating poorly. Now you don't even need phone skills.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Ryan, I was at Chili's and the kid (in the next booth) had one of those PSP things (or whatever device it was, I couldn't see very well) and he was playing a movie REAL LOUD!

What? So now it's not enough that going out to dinner isn't a thrill? We have to have the kids entertained with movies as well (while annyoing the people next to them)???

Also, this happened to me yesterday, I was at a store and this guys cell phone rang, but he didn't answer it and let the ANNOYING ringtone go on and on 'till it finally went to voice mail and stopped!!! :angry:

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I also find text messaging annoying, along with portable DVD players and ones built into vehicles as Ryan said. No less, I really hate DVD players that are installed in the front seat, like the driver needs that up there. I would hate to see an accident report for one of those morons. "death by car accident and a Chuck Norris movie".

Another thing I thought of that particularly gets under my skin, when stupid people go to Best Buy, Circuit City, or any place that sells speakers where stupid people commonly shop, dented speaker cones. What on God's green earth possesses people to dent in the cone and tweeter on speakers, other than mental retardation.:angry:

"And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, is what grinds my gears...Tom"

Ravi K

Supporting Actor

U dnt evn need fone skilz LOL

Today I went to Radio Shack to buy a cable for my camcorder (three RCA jacks at one end and a mini-headphonesque jack at the other end) and it cost $24! I went to Best Buy and and Circuit City to see if they were cheaper and they were MORE expensive. This cable isn't hand-crafted out of gold by monks in Italy, geez.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Specialty cables like that one are almost always more expensive. Have you tried getting one online?

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Text messages use abbreviations.....and A/V is an abbreviation.....and you use a video screen to text....and the keys make noise when you type the letters.....and ummmm....Ah screw it, I tried :)

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Other than the free one that comes with a camcorder, they aren't commonly seen as a seperate item, at least not for cheap.

Marc_Sulinski

Supporting Actor

One thing about wattage that a lot of people don't look at is the frequency range listed along with the wattage. Go to Best Buy and look at a cheap 5.1 receiver. For about $150, it looks like you can get a 100 watt per channel receiver. Sounds good, until you see that the 100 watts is at 1kHz. This is vastly different than 100 watts from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, which is the way any decent brand will list its wattage. If you want a receiver that does 100 watts x 5 from 20Hz-20kHz, you are probably looking at around $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks