What's new

Audio newb seeking help (1 Viewer)

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Hello,
I'm looking to start setting up some sort of home theater system piece by piece, and I'm posting in the hopes of getting a couple suggestions from those more experienced in this area than myself. From what I gather, a receiver and a pair of bookshelf speakers are a good place to start? I'm not looking to blow the roof off, just provide good sound at an affordable price. The sound that my TV puts out isn't cutting it for me. I have a Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX500 that I purchased new a couple years ago, as well as a Sony Blu-Ray player, I can't remember the model offhand, but I do use HDMI to connect both the TV and blu-ray player. I don't have any gaming consoles, or anything else that I would need to hook up at this point, however some room for possible future purcahses couldn't hurt.
As far as the price point goes, I'm hoping to keep the receiver under $350, possibly as little as $250? And the speakers somewhere around the same range?
If anyone is able to offer suggestions on "bang for your buck" in this price range, or near it in either direction, I'd be forever grateful :) Oh and I'm also wondering how important a heavy duty surge protector is. I live in Michigan, and I only use the standard dynex-style power strips sold at the local electronics retailer. We normally have a few thunderstorms per season, but I've never had a power-surge problem before.
Thanks

av-holic

Auditioning
Real Name
Roy Bocchieri
I highly recommend looking at the Sonos Product (www.sonos.com) It is a complete solution and also wireless! Otherwise the entry level yamaha and denon receivers with surround are very versitile. Feel free to let me know what you think about the sonos.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I get where you are going with the $350, but IMO, Id spend the money upfront on a decent powered Denon, then buy the bookshelves later. I say that as someone who has gone down the hard road already.
Try picking up a last years model AVR-1712 or 1912 for a good deal now that the "13" models are out. The Marantz AVR I have sold for over $1000 new, and I picked it up at like $599 on its way it, great deal.
As far as speakers, there are a lot of options internet direct you can be happy with. I started with Def Technology Pro Monitor Bookshelves, but then swapped to Klipsch towers because i wanted more oooomph.
Here are great refurb deals at AC4L:
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1913/DENON-AVR-1913-7.1ch-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/AirPlay-3D-ready/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR2312CI/DENON-AVR-2312CI-7.2-Integrated-Network-A/V-Surround-Receiver/1.html
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/DENAVR1912/DENON-AVR-1912-7.1ch-Network-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver-w/Airplay/1.html

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Thank you for the suggestions, I will definitely consider those. As far as the Sonos sytem goes, for what you get I think that would more be considered for a later addition to my sytem, but not a good starting point for home theater audio. Is this accurate?
elwaylite, thanks for those links. You have had good experiences with factory refurbs? It makes me a little nervous but those price points and discounts certainly are appealing. Definitely made me want to go above my initial price point and splurge.
That being said, and I know this isn't the sexiest option to say the least, but I've been looking at HTIB, mainly because of the price. I've read good reviews on some at Amazon. Seems I can get a halfway decent system for $400 or under. Completely not worth it?
Another concern I have is where to buy speakers and which ones to get. Floorstanding? Bookshelf? What are specs that I should be concerned with? Also, shipping something like this worries me, I've worked for Fed Ex and in shipping/receiving warehouses and it seems to be somewhat of a gamble to me.

elwaylite

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
As far as factory refurbs, I've bought a few things and not had an issue. AC4L is a factory refurb dealer on those things and I'd not sweat it.
Problem with a lot of HTiB's, is the AVR cannot be used later, its speaker proprietary. If you do go with a HTiB, look at an Onkyo or Denon (or whatever) that actually comes with a real AVR that can be used later so you just upgrade your speakers.
As far as bookshelf vs tower, thats personal preference. I went from small (5.25" woofer and dome tweeter) bookshelfs to these towers (2 8" woofers and a horn tweeter) and I wont ever go back. Im 99.9% home theater use though.

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
Would the Denon AVR 1913 work well with these Sony speakers?
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SS-F6000-Floorstanding-4-Way-Speakers/dp/B000OG4E20/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8&colid=17HKAUI0WHJ2D&coliid=I3KZ5VS7SLPBYT

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Any home amp/receiver/AVR works with any pair of speakers.
The only(and I mean only) considerations are...
OHM load(if you are looking at 4ohm speakers)
Efficiency.
And yes, that pairing works together...

cupofdoug

Auditioning
Real Name
Doug
I suppose that I was trying to ask if the receiver would push sufficient power to optimize the potential of those specific speakers.
Thank you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you trying to go deaf?
What volume are you trying to achieve?
They "take" 180 watts. What does it take to create 180 watts of "utmost clean distortion free" power???
A pair of these...
http://www.krellonline.com/evolution900e.html
Might get you there.
Edit:
On a serious note, instead of "fantastical HAHA"...
Those Sony are going to produce deafening volume on 30-ish watts of power.
Are you going to tell the difference of 30 watts from the Denon 1913 or that Krell 900E?
More than likely...no.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks