What's new

Audio Imaging with Rear Proj TV (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Randy
I recently purchased a Mitsubishi 65" HDTV rear proj TV. I have it matched up with a Yamaha RX-V3300, Pioneer Elite DV-C36 DVD changer, Mirage satellite, center channel, and powered sub, and Bose cubes in rear. I am currently having an issue with audio imaging when playing movies. With my old Pioneer Elite TV, I used to run the audio with the TV and Center channel both on which made the sound come more out of the screen. Now, I have to mute the TV to avoid echoes, and just run with the audio speakers. When watching movies, it seems that the sound is either more on the sides, or over the screen. I have tried the manual adjustments with the Yamaha, which made a small improvement but still not what I would prefer. My Yahama does not have the mic auto setup for speakers. My goal is to get this system tuned to where the audio comes more from the screen than over or on the sides. Any suggestions???? I have also recently purchased the AVIA DVD, but have only tried a little bit of the audio adjustments.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Just a thought but if your center channel is on top of the TV make sure you have it as close to the front of the TV edge as possible. If not the sound will bounce off the top of the TV sending the sound upwards. Also putting something under the rear edge of the center channel to "point" it to ear level could help as well.

Real Name
Randy
Thanks for the reply. The center channel is at the front edge of the top of the TV. This center channel is also already angled down towards the listener.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
consider getting another center channel speaker and mounting it below the screen, possibly angled up a bit.

ag.

Jon W.

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, well scratch those off the list. If they are level matched using the Avia dvd and an SPL meter then the only other thing it might be is out of phase. Or maybe your just so comfortable with the old setup that you've became biased? I don't know, interested to hear if you figure it out.:crazy:

Mary M S

Screenwriter
I have a center speaker mounted too high (my husband wanted to avoid back of display reflections) but it is unfortunately way above ear level; and behind(by a foot) front edge of screen on a level vertical axis. Attempting to explain to husband why rebuilding the shelf for this unit will make an enormous difference. For its present location when I calibrate I have to bump dB up a hair on Center channel to allow for its positioning so the sound stage mimics across the display location. For your angle and position you might have to bump dB, down, just a hair. Could be if you are calibrating center channel using SPL to exact dB range between your fronts and center, the downward angle is overemphasing your center channels SPL, which could cause you to trace the sound to its physical position. Try bumping it lower than your FL/FR on calibration. Although they are the best built-in diplay speakers I have heard, I never run my TV's speakers conjointly with the surround system.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Have you calibrated the speakers? Hard to tell from your post. Definitely run through the Avia disc to calibrate, and then let us know how it fairs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks