What's new

Audio Fidelity SACDs soon for Yes, Fleetwood Mac, Lynyrd Skynyrd (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I would love to see any Yes released on SACD. Just thinking of "Close to the Edge", "Relayer", or "Going for the One" in Hi-Rez makes me giddy!
I would suggest you not let those who like to 'stir the pot' in music threads give you any unfounded hopes. To say that WEA titles will be released from AF is unlikely would be a gross understatement.

Some of the live Yes from the last ten years is excellent; there is potential for some excellent non-WEA material.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Why is everyone assuming that it has to be older titles or newer titles? Every record label releases both all the time on CD or whatever the most popular format is at the time. They could do the same with hybrid SACDs.

Rachael, you may not want Rush on SACD, but I sure do. However, there's no reason why that can't stop them from releasing the new stuff. It just requires the faith in their product that they so sorely lack.

And here's my view of older vs newer titles: the current young music audience is way more fragmented than the previous two generations. That's why a Pink Floyd title is assured of at least more of a potential buyer's market than the latest Linkin Park album.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Rich, have you had the opportunity to see any of Mission of Burma's Boston performances since they reunited? I'm praying they record some new material. Good grief, what a great, seminal band.
There was that get-together in Winter '02 in Boston and NY (right after they got the "Bammie" lifetime achievement award)... which, of course, I missed. And then I missed the show with Wilco (who filled in for the reunited Sonic Youth) at the Pavilion this past summer. Oh I've had the opportunities... just too fool or out-of-touch to make use of them.

BUT I'M NOT MISSING THE NEXT ONE (whenever that is)!!! ;)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to see a balance of older and newer material on high-res. Where is that King Crimson SACD, anyway? Rush is also high on my list. But I'd like newer stuff too...Blur, Radiohead, Nickel Creek. And let's not forget the stuff 'in the middle' - I'd sure like Pixies, Sonic Youth (in surround), Nirvana.

Variety is the spice of life.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Oh yes... the Pixies and Sonic Youth! :emoji_thumbsup:

There was a brief period of time when I doubted the efficacy of releasing certain sorts of music in hi-res. No more. Yes, of course a Joy Division recording will never achieve "audiophile status" in any format; it lacks all those elements that make audiophiles tingle.

But there's a reason why certain doddering fools still spin vinyl Sex Pistols, Black Flag, and other non-audiophile type music... it sounds alive on LP, and comparatively dead on CD. Yes, yes, CDs sound better than ever, so long as proper mastering techniques are employed (which is rarer and rarer, but not a fault of the technology itself). And yet, I suspect these recordings will never sound as alive on CD as they do on LP, and as I'm certain they would on SACD.

So, why is all this bugging me more now? In the first couple of years, I expected most releases to be core catalog titles, audiophile classics, and mainstream dreck... which is exactly what we got. Lots of great stuff, Miles, Dylan, Stones, Beethoven, Gaye, Floyd, Bowie, and the occasional new nugget (uhhh... Beck). But now that I'm starting to feel that the format has begun to establish itself, I'm ready to see it branching out a bit further...

I spent an awful lot of words to basically request a little more variety, and I think it's just about time. We're getting there, but I'm feeling more urgent about it lately. That's all.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
... I will, however, listen to Yes at least once if you buy it and bring it over, accompanied with a nice Riesling that leans to the dry side.
Rich, a nice semi-dry Riesling can make any listening experience more enjoyable! :)

Anyway, I'm in the middle of the opinions here. I'm a boomer whose taste got stuck in the 70s-80s prog rock or prog new wave (did I make up a new genre?) or e-music. I'd snap up titles like these, if they were available on SACD:

Tangerine Dream - Underwater Sunlight
Clash - London Calling
Ryuichi Sakamoto - Merry Xmas Mr. Lawrence soundtrack or Heartbeat
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
New Order - Technique
Kate Bush - The Dreaming
Gang of Four - Home of the Free or Solid Gold
Klaus Schulze - Mirage or Moondawn
Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain, Another Green World, Before & After Science
Eno/Byrne - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts

Regards,
Doug

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

If you didn't see it originally, look for the PBS 'Soundstage' episode with Wilco. Sonic Youth opens up with a 20 minute set. They were utterly fantastic (I have seen them live twice but not for a few years). They really need to release a new live disc (audio or video) in 5.1.

Ryuichi Sakamoto
Good choice. I'd like some David Sylvian as well. Michael Brook too.

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
Doug-

I'd like to second a couple of selections on your wish list:

Imagine David Sylvian's velvet vocals from Sakamoto's "Heartbeat" in surround. Not to mention the womans voice alternating from different speakers around the room as she recites "Cloud"... "Number"... "Nine"...

Any Kate Bush would be welcome in remastered high resolution multi-channel. "Hounds of Love" in surround... what a delicious thought.

"My Life in the Bush of Ghosts" is so heavily textured that it would no doubt leave the listener in a welcomed state of delerium upon hearing it in a hi-res multi-channel mix.

one can dream...

Jimmy

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Guyz, I'm not against everybody getting the older titles they want. I just think the whole SACD format is so-oooooo out of balance. I just get P'ed every time I see the release lists that are nearly exclusively moldy oldies. You can't build the format of tomorrow on just the music of yesterday. The extrapolation here is that SACD isn't going to ever be the format of tomorrow.

I don't much care for Britanny, Radiohead, T.A.T.U., and bunches of other new music, but I wish it was on hybrid SACD. I'd feel like the format was going someplace.

From my point of view, Audio Fidelity is doing a bang-up job releasing older stuff. That's their niche. It's just that Sony and Universal are doing the same thing as Audio Fidelity for the most part.

8 = a nowhere road = where the SACD format is headed....in circles. After nearly 5 years of this, I'm bored.:rolleyes

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Newer releases would bring different buyers and grow the format. Growing the format would encourage more of the older titles to be released.

Take a look at DVD. If "Matrix" wasn't such a hit on DVD, you wouldn't necessarily have "Sunrise" or "Citizen Kane" today. New titles grow formats.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i'd love to see molly hatchet in sacd[hybrid]especially this live set i'm listening to[locked and loaded]too bad it's an import only

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

These comments assume that only kids and young adults listen to newer music, and that older people are only interested in "classic" titles. That's quite a sweeping assumption. I'm 45 and I have little or no interest in Elton John, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, etc. on SACD or DVD-A. We need a better MIX of titles in high-rez. Balance is a good thing.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

I'm with you Michael. Hey Sony, et. al.: Do you want to sell more high-res titles and grow your market faster? THEN GIVE US A WIDER SELECTION OF ARTISTS TO CHOOSE FROM! Thank you.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Sony is working on it
And no doubt they've worked and are working harder than most (I'm looking squarely at you, Warner Bros/DVD-A forum).

I think it's more the lousy been-there/done-that feel of these announcements that make me so mournful of what could be, so frustrated at what isn't, and so brain-dead that I resort to hackneyed lingo like "been-there/done-that".

(Actually, I didn't "do" these artists the first time around, but I was there.)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, why would artists favour lower rez sound? Why in the world would artists not want their stuff sold the most ways possible? Exclude Yoko Ono from your answer.:D I can understand if artists don't want MP3, legal, distribution. But, why would they want to prevent vinyl, DVD-A, or SACD releases?

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Lee, why would artists favour lower rez sound?
Several reasons:

1. They may not understand the sonic advantage.
2. They may not want to do extra work if required.
3. They may not see profits.
4. They may not be legally able to without their label's permission.
5. They may be waiting for wider acceptance.
6. They may feel it confuses their audience.
7. They may irrationally feel it will cannibalize redbooks sales to their detriment.

Mostly illogical responses here.

I would never favor low rez and would expect most smart artists to readily see the advantage, but who knows why people do some things. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks