What's new

Attn Ron: LOST IN SPACE up for preorder, & 10 other Fox season sets! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Morgan & Wong are actively working on getting the series on DVD, in fact at one point they were trying to buy the rights to do it themselves.

It's not about cost, it's about room in the schedual and availability of finances (plus there IS music clearances, off the top of my head there's that Pink Floyd song, 4-5 others that were not cleared for DVD, I don't think it's going to hold anything up tho.

All I want is the resolution to the cliffhanger and what they had planned for season 2. I'd also like to see the ending of the series in its original form before the last minute editing to try to give the series some sort of closure.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor

Jeff,

Is the above fact or speculation? A friend and I were recently wondering about the greater cost of the X-Files DVDs over the cost of the BUFFY/ANGEL sets.

Thanks,

Deborah

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
Cool, I can't wait for Season 1 of Lost In Space. I used to watch Lost In Space everyday when I was younger.

It's also cool that FOX is releasing 3 seasons of M*A*S*H this year.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Is the above fact or speculation? A friend and I were recently wondering about the greater cost of the X-Files DVDs over the cost of the BUFFY/ANGEL sets.
It's based on informed reliable sources. Buffy/Angel have standard residual packages (per Union rules) instead of these monster chunks

I do think that if Fox could go back, they would price it lower to start with, but who knew? (well, besides us :) )

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Well, since I'm the one who started this thread, I should be the first to point this out:

Discussion with Fox reveals that these dates are not set-in-stone, and Amazon will be removing them for now. Read this for the full story.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Jeff. That helps a lot. For the record, are you going to buy XF seasons 8 and 9? I can't make up my mind about this. I was very happy with the series through season 7 and then really didn't enjoy 8 & 9 very much at all, with the exception of an episode here and there. But, the compulsive in me says I should have the complete ouvre, good or bad. It wouldn't even be an issue, but for the overly hefty price of the sets. So far I have managed to get every season for $75 to $85, or there abouts. But that still ouches the old pocket book and I am not really sure that I would watch them very much, if at all.

Deborah

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No, I'm not. I got 4-5 episodes into season 8 and I thought it was horriffic. Once I ran out of T-1000 jokes it was all over.

No fault whatsoever to Fox's excellent presentation mind you, it's just that I can't stand the material. I'm going to be peeved if the Season 9 episode that finishes "The Lone Gunman" is not included in their set :frowning:

Jacob Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone know how many Episodes will be presented in the Futurama second volume? I notice the first volume was more then just the first season.

JP

John Simon

Second Unit
David,

Any idea if Amazon will cancel their existing pre-orders? I'm really hoping not since I got a great price on 24 using a coupon, STL, and their new trivia money.

And Deborah,

I've been wrestling over the same question lately. But the more I think about it, I just can't justify spending the $80/season for two really bad seasons of The X-Files. I think I'm just going to pass, tape the few good episodes off of TNT, and hope that Fox will maybe release a "Best Of" collection of those two seasons once they're done with the season sets.

Louis-Olivier

Stunt Coordinator
I know i would buy Space above and beyond in a heartbeat! This is by far one of the best TV show ever produced!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
David,

Any idea if Amazon will cancel their existing pre-orders? I'm really hoping not since I got a great price on 24 using a coupon, STL, and their new trivia money.
John, I have no idea. I can see reasons for it going both ways. On the other hand, just because we were told (by a non-Amazon employee) that Amazon will remove those items, doesn't mean they will. As of this morning the 24 S2 listing is still there.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Jeff and John,

Thanks for the input on XF 8 and 9. I really am leaning towards *not* buying these sets. I would like the series finale, however, as I never really got to see it all. It was aired during a family crisis (happily, we don't have many of those in my family) and my getting to watch it just was not a happening thing. Also, the thought that buying the sets later (if I were to change) my mind would cost me a lot more than just buying them initially gives me pause. But I am not sure how likely I would be to change my mind. There are quite a few DVDs coming up that I really do want to buy and that makes it hard to justify spending the $$ on something I am not all that keen on.

Deborah

John Simon

Second Unit
Deborah,

In regards to your concern about paying more for the sets at a later date if you change your mind, I've had the same concern. But after looking around on eBay, I've found the earlier seasons on sale for around $30-$40. While I realize that as hardcore collectors, many of us will probably find the condition of at least the cases to be lower than we'd like. But when it comes to wanting those seasons for only a few episodes each (as I feel and I'm guessing you, as well), I think it probably makes more sense to hold off and if you really change your mind later just buy it on eBay.

Skoobooz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jay
Actually, despite Fox's reticence, it seems that not only has Amazon not taken these titles down, but DVD Empire has put them all up (with the same dates). Interesting....

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Batman is not going to happen anytime soon, they want to put it out very badly

OK, if they really want to put it out, what is the delay?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
OK, if they really want to put it out, what is the delay?
I think the over-simplified way to get this across is "Fox owns the footage, Warner owns the characters". Both are looking for what they consider to be a fair middle ground as to who gets how much money from these DVDs. There are other factors, too, and other parties who feel the need to get paid for this. It's one of those very complicated only-in-Hollywood licensing issue dealies. :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Courtesy of DVDEmpire. Only small shots so far and then only on these four (sorry; I looked elsewhere for more but this is all I found):

I hate that 24 is essentially the same cover but with different shading...I hope this isn't the final art.

X-Files is markedly different, but after sleeping on it I am thinking that it probably is in keeping with the stylistic change to the opening credits that accompanied DD's departure.

Futurama is kinda neat. Angel is nice but I need to see it bigger to judge.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I don't buy too many TV shows on DVD but I'm buying Season 1 of Lost in Space. No thanks for the other two seasons.

Blu

Screenwriter
I said no "BLIND" purchases, meaning no purchases of shows I had no interest in before their DVD releases. That means only The Simpsons, M*A*S*H, Futurama, Family Guy, and King of the Hill will be purchased by me.
I had no interest in Buffy, Angel, Babylon 5, Sopranos, Sex and the City, OZ, and a few I seem to have forgotten but I bought all of these blind. I am so happy I have gotten each and every series on DVD so far!

I am frustrated by the fact that they don't come out quick enough to keep up on the storylines!

I tend to get these series when there is a lull in major DVD releases and there isn't a lot to buy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks