What's new

Attn. Denon AVR-3300 Owners - Need some info (1 Viewer)

Sundar Prasad

Stunt Coordinator
I have been using a Denon 3300 receiver in my system for over a couple of years now and it has been perfect for everything I wanted it to do. However, last evening I ran into a strange problem and am hoping that other 3300 owners can verify this for me.

When I have a source playing through either the analog or coaxial digital inputs on the 3300, I get a L-R audio signal from the tape out, VCR1 out, and VCR2 out jacks on the 3300. However, when I switch the source to an optical digital input (Opt1, or Opt2 or Opt3), there is no signal output from the tape or VCR out jacks of the 3300. The pre-out jacks on the 3300 always deliver a signal (as they should) regardless of the whether the source is analog or coax/optical digital (I use a couple of Marantz monoblock amps to drive the main L-R speakers).

Last evening, when I went to tape a segment of a DVD using a Toshiba 3109 DVD player connected optically to the Denon (had never tried this before), I found that there was no sound going to the VCR. However, if I switched to my digital cable box (which has a digital coax connection to the 3300), there was a signal at all 3 (tape, VCR1 and 2) outputs. Just to check, I switched to the CD player (which is also connected optically) and got the same strange problem - no signal from the tape/VCR1/VCR2 output jacks on the 3300.

This means that I cannot record sound from any source connected optically to the 3300. I looked through the manual and there was no indication at all about this 'feature'. I tried specifically setting the RecOut Source on the 3300 as the DVD player, but that did not help either. The 3300 will only let you record an analog source or a digital source connected coaxially.

Can another Denon 3300 owner please verify if this is a problem only with my unit? Thanks a ton for your time.

Robert Drew

Auditioning
That's not a bug, it's a feature! :)
If you check your manual on pgs. 41 and 42 (look for the little boxes), it states that "digital sources are not output from the REC SOURCE or audio output jacks." Just to be sure, I checked my setup (3300 w/ Sony S330) and got the same results you did. Looks like sending digital sources to analog outputs is a no-go. I'm not sure how that jives with the digital cable box, but suspect it might have to do with using a PCM stereo signal that can be passed along. I'll defer to others on that., however, as it's pure speculation.
Remember that you can always use the analog stereo outputs from your dvd and cd players if you really need to record something.
Good Luck!

Sundar Prasad

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Robert,

At least I know that it's not just my unit. I did read that little note in the manual, but inferred something else, esp. since I do get an output with a digital source (namely the cable box). This is quite strange behaviour though - I mean there is a signal present at the pre-out jacks of the 3300 regardless of the input source (otherwise there wouldn't be a peep from the front speakers), so why wouldn't the 3300 simply copy those to the tape/VCR out jacks also?

Bloody weird - and yes, there is always the analog route (connect the DVD and CD to the 3300 using additional L-R interconnects), but I was just hoping to minimise the wiring maze at the back of the receiver.

Thanks again.

p.s. wonder if the newer 3802 etc. boxes do this too

p.p.s I just realised that the 3300 may be doing something sneaky. The digital cable box is also connected with analog interconnects to the 3300. This is so that I can get sound for the non-digital cable channels. Maybe the 3300 sees the analog signal present on the cable box input source and routes that to the tape/VCR out jacks while it decodes the digital signal and outputs that through the pre-out jacks. This means that someone with a pure digital source (say a CD transport) is out of luck if they want to make a tape for the car.

Jerry T

Agent
Howdy Sundar,

I also have the Denon3300 and will check my unit over the next couple of days.

I noticed the last Vancouver meet went sour. Actually it never took place.

You interested in a meet before Christmas?

Good to see you on the forum.

Jerry

Zbigniew

Stunt Coordinator
It's not a bug, it's a feature...

I called Denon about this over a year ago; they confirmed that. I ended up having both digital and analog connections from sources to 3300.

It is even worse for 5800 - digital out is only from digital sources; if you want to have analog from digital sorces, you can get it... via zone 2, but main zone has to be in Stereo, Direct, or SuperDrect mode. If you want to listen main zone in DD, DTS, or any other mode (like Stereo 5/7), you are out of luck.

I ended up using digital out (optical) from 5800 and convertor to coax to carry signal to second room in digital mode.

If I remember, 1 or 2 units from other manufacturer will output analog signal wrom all sources, no matter what format you are using in main zone; they will also convert from analog into digital and give you digital out. It is not Lexicon DC/MC line, it might be either meridian, tag or integra.

I cannot understand Denon logic in this area.

_zjt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks