What's new

ATTN ALL: King Kong Box Set With Collector's Tin, Son Of Kong, & Mighty Joe Young!!! (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter

This describes my experience exactly. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with A.R.D. (anal-retentive-disorder). :)

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc

Except that the 5 extra cards are really cool alternate posters for the film - even cooler than the 5 that are included with the regular set.

Finally one of these dumb "exclusives" that I was actually happy to get. I'd definitely fight it out at BB to get one that has what they advertised.

MattHR

Screenwriter

Agreed. I'm thinking about having the cards all mounted, matted and framed as a set. It'd have to be at least 24"x36" in size, and the cost of the matte, with ten cut-outs, would be quite expensive. I'll get some quotes tomorrow.

With all the laserdiscs and DVDs that have included photos, lithographs, film cells and other various reproductions "suitable for framing", this is one time I may do just that. It would look very cool in my theatre room.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
So are most of you keeping and storing everything in the plastic outer box, or are you taking that all out and discarding the outer?

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
I'm dumping the outer box and the tin in the attic and just shelving the Kong digipak (and the Amaray cases for Son and Joe) individually. The tin is actually very pretty, but I don't have enough free shelf space to keep it on display; I need that room for all the frickin' Warner DVDs I'm buying. :)

Page

Stunt Coordinator
Discarding the outer--otherwise, it won't fit on my DVD shelf. With the size of the tin, it just makes it.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I don't have traditional DVD shelving, so I can make space for it. I hate to part with it. I guess it depends on how annoying it is to manipulate it every time I want to watch one of the films.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I pitched mine. It's not really a worthy box to keep or display the three movies. It was just something inexpensive that was needed to accommodate Best Buy's limited, exclusive configuration of these discs. Besides, I never like packaging that indicates a particular retailer's "exclusive" status.

The standard box/sleeve that holds the regular non-tin version of KONG/SON OF/MIGHTY JOE looks better as a set. Since the tin is a special design for a masterpiece film, it deserves to be displayed by itself. The other two will do just fine by themselves on the shelf. :)

MattHR

Screenwriter

Me too. I had custom in-wall, adjustable shelving made years ago to accommodate LDs, CDs and DVDs. (Well, it's mostly DVDs now.) I used to really like uniformity in the DVDs, but now I tend to prefer the mixture of styles used for packaging (except for multi-season TV shows.) I have a special section for odd-sized sets, like E.T., FREAKS AND GEEKS, GALACTICA, SPIDER-MAN, SIX FEET UNDER, HULK (import), WICKER MAN, AKIRA, many Anchor Bay and DISNEY tins, EVIL DEAD books and now KONG.

Just like my collection of hardcover and paperback books vary in size and shape, my DVD collection is starting to have a real variety in its appearance on the shelves. I've learned to like it. For some reason, it's more fun to browse the collection without so much conformity.

Roy Batty

Second Unit
Real Name
Jose M Mendez
Not great pics, done in a hurry and with poor light, but I hope they show the Best Buy packaging clearly enough:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

If you have a JoAnn's or Michael's in your area, keep an eye on their Sunday suplements. They often have40-50% on custom framing. They also have small frames that can be combined with precut mats for not to bad a price.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Jose, thanks for the pictures. I'm really regretting changing my mind and asking for the blue box instead (my birthday is this weekend)....

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
This has to be the best Best Buy exclusive yet.
My store had plenty of copies. I'm suprised they didn't have a special display rack for it.
Not sure why they went through all that trouble for a movie that might not sell that well but I'm extremely happy.

I've been highly critical lately with their handling of the "1 disc version gets discount, 2 disc version full price" but I give them kudos with this set.

ToddJ

Second Unit
thanks for the pics Jose...which one is the actual King Kong case? i was hoping it would be a digipack....

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thought I'd add my Best Buy experience too. In SF Bay Area pennisula store.

Didn't find it on the floor, when asked if I needed help, I asked for the King Kong set and was greeted with a "What's that" look. After trying to find a computer terminal he could get access to, he found one that was sold out. But I pointed out the date and studio was wrong. Then we found it, 65 copies there! He found it in the back.

Thanks for posting pics above, good to see contents are the same.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the tip Vincent. Picked my set up from BB last night. Completely unpublicized, just a bunch of them sitting on the shelves. And a great price too.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I'll gladly take them... no, seriously! :)

I could send you some cool 70's movie mags (Cinema Retro) and a CD of radio movie spots in exchange.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
todd look at those pics again.
the one that doesnt say son of kong or mighty joe young is the kingkong case.small/thin looking case.
nope kong digipak isnt in the pictures.
doug i'm not defending best buy but all stores now are doing the 1 disc cheap, 2 disc not cheap, except walmart in some cities.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
oh and jose, going by those pics, it looks like you didnt get the 5 extra post cards that are supposed to be n this set.
or havent you opened the tin?
ok i guess i'll be here all day editing this post.
i can see the shrink wrap isstill on the tin.

i was lucky enough to get all ten.
the other 5 are in the tin.
2 tcm inserts.
1 dented/bent program

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks