What's new

ATTN ALL: King Kong Box Set With Collector's Tin, Son Of Kong, & Mighty Joe Young!!! (1 Viewer)

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
It should be noted that the Best Buy box also comes with five more mini-poster reproductions too - they are exclusive to this set.

What a mess trying to get into the store though, and then having the clerk go to the back room to find the set! They were only focused on the huge line outside for Xbox.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Went to my BB about 10:30am and no Kong, I had to ask for it. The reply was "oh, the game?" No you, ninny, the movie. Not only had they not stocked it yet, they didn't know what I was talking about.

Fortunately, they had it in the back.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Well, reviewing the package, I have a question - where's the Proof of Purchase? The insert that tells you how to send off for your KK poster asks for one. Warner digipaks used to have POPs inside, but this digipak doesn't, and I couldn't find one on the paper sheet attached to the back of the tin or anywhere else.

Looking again, the insert asks for POPs or UPCs. So I guess the UPC on the paper sheet from the back of the tin should do.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

As one of the fussy ones, I am disappointed to know this. Still, I want the CE. I went to BB today and bought the collection. I guess I'll make it around to watching the other two movies someday.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I wanted the blue box "King Kong Collection," so this morning at 8:30 am I went to TARGET and picked it up for only $29.99.

Of course, it wasn't as easy as it sounds. First I went to one TARGET store at 8 am when they opened, and couldn't find it on the shelves. And the "salesman" had no idea what I was talking about.

So I drove to a second TARGET, which is about a half hour from the first. Same thing - no trace of KONG on the shelves; but at least this time I was able to talk a "salesperson" into going into the back room - and he found it.

Later on, I did take a trip to Best Buy and yes, that exclusive box set also looked very appealing. I damn near changed my mind! They had lots of copies at my store.

Vincent-P

Second Unit
"Best Buy really did a fantastic job. Now they should advertise it (or move Vincent-P to the marketing department). "

That's funny...I actually have a Bachelor's of Business Administration in Marketing from Texas A&M, but decided that I really didn't like the marketing industry very much.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The blue KK 3-movie set was around $26.5 at Costco? (or maybe it was $24.50, I can't recall for sure).

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks,

Got a quick question for those of your who picked up the Best Buy Exclusive Tin Box Set:

First off, as some of you noted above, the box supposed includes "5 additional movie one-sheet postcards not available anywhere else."

I'm assuming this means I should have a total of 10 postcards -- unfortunately, I only received 5 in mine. Did everyone else receive the full 10 postcard set? The reason I'm asking, is that I went back to the store, and after opening several other box sets, NONE of them had the advertised "5 additional postcards." After opening about 5-6 other sets, they refused to open any more and suggested I contact the studio. Great.

Just out of curiosity, if you DID receive the full 10 postcards, how was it packaged inside the box set? Were the BB-exclusive cards packed inside the tin with the regular postcard set, or were they instead packed in the box along wity the DVD cases themselves? (Just as an FYI, the 5 postcards I had were inside the tin -- in my set, the last card is a Spanish sheet "¡Panico en la ciudad despavorida!")

Many thanks for your help with this!

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I got two foldout sheets, for a total of ten posters. The extra foldout was under the tin and on top of the other movie keepcases.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The five extras were packaged inside the outer box, between the Kong tin and the first keep case, along with an insert for TCM. They were folded accordian style.

My BB did not get the lithographs for Polar Express. Since that was a marginal buy to begin with, I put the DVD back on the shelf.

- Steve

Mike.P

Second Unit
God, Best Buy was a complete disaster trying to find this set. I managed to find one thrown on top of another display, and the person I asked if they had more in the back didn't even know what it was.

Oh well, at least I got it, I usually like to find the best box corners because I'm mental, though.

Edit: Wow, just opened the set up - The Collectors Edition is as classy as a DVD can get. Warner, you have solidfied yourself as the best DVD producers on the planet. No one else even comes close after this set. It just oozes style.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
The Best Buy I went to in Dallas did fine. They had their table like normal, with at least twenty of the exclusive Kong packages stacked at one end. Other than the individual releases of the other movies, though, I didn't see any other Kong choices. They may have had them elsewhere in the store, but I didn't even look.

Jeff Krispow

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys…

You've confirmed what I suspected. I figured the extra cards were in the box, not the tin -- since the tin was factory-sealed, any extras would have to be added into the box later during final packaging.

Well, I supposed I should be happy that I at least got the TCM insert, right? Woo-hoo.

Also, I wanted to make sure that there really WERE extra cards in these Best Buy sets, and not just some promotion gone wrong. Why? Because when I went back into to exchange my set, none of the other "Kong" boxes had the extra postcard set either!

I find it's always best to be cautious with certain Best Buy exclusive items, and I always check out such discs in the car. When I realized I was missing the extra postcards, I went back inside to exchange it. The customer service rep opened up an additional six sets in an attempt to get me the missing postcards -- but none of those sets had the extra cards either. And after that, they were really unwilling to open up any further sets.

Obviously, they received a small batch of sets that were accidentally missing the extra cards. Frankly, I doubt that EVERY copy in the store was missing these, and I rather wish they kept on opening sets until them found me a complete one -- but on the other hand, I can understand their reluctance to open up their entire sales stock just to find a postcard set. Still, it was an advertised extra, it wasn't included, and I should get what I paid for.

*Ugh* What a pain in the ass to deal with. In the meantime, I contacted someone at Warner Home Video to see if they would be able to provide me with the missing postcards, and if not, then I suppose I'll have to somehow get to another Best Buy location and attempt another exchange. (I'm disabled these days, so getting around at times on my own can be exceedingly difficult. I was lucky enough to get a lift to the local Best Buy today, but forget about going 20 miles each way to the next closest location…)

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

Not a big deal at all, but if you only got one, it was another exclusion. I got one in the tin and one with the extra postcards. :)

JackKay

Second Unit
Where is the Proof of Purchase?

Bleddyn Williams, don't cut up the box or even sheets of paper for the bar code, slide the movie disks out of the sleeve they are in. Look inside of this thin little box they were in and you will see several small perforated Proof of Purchases that I think you must take out with a tweezers.

Did have the extra 5 Post Cards in mine.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Holy crap! These must rank up there as the most difficult proof of purchases to remove of all time.

Good eye to see those.

BTW, there were supposed to be 5 of the cards in the tin, right? I got an extra batch of them, duplicates. And there was a batch of 5 different cards in the outer box too.

Besides the movie, what really matters as far as the tin and BB boxed set, is the gorgous tin and program reproduction. I wouldn't really sweat the missing cards in the BB box.

MattHR

Screenwriter
I picked up a set at Best Buy today. Upon opening it at home, I found the tin to have a nice dent in the hinged side (not visible through the packaging), preventing it from opening all the way. I was able to make sure all the contents were included, though.

I went back to BB to make the exchange. I opened the replacement at the counter before leaving. The tins are shrinkwrapped inside the package (SON OF and MIGHTY JOE are not). I checked it over for dents. Seemed O.K. so home I went.

Upon arriving home and removing the shrinkwrap from the replacement, what did I discover? Yep. Another dent! And some scratches, too! This time it was on the backside, underneath the insert paper, completely undetectable until opened. (By the way, the artwork on the back of the tin is a nice touch...assuming yours isn't dented and scratched like mine!)

The DigiPak inside also included some bonus scuffs and smashed corners. The tin is a bit oversized, so the slightest shaking may cause some minor damage to the contents. I wish it was a standard Amaray case inside the tin, or at least had an insert "tray" to hold the contents more firmly. It's back to Best Buy for another replacement tomorrow. This time, I'll be sure to completely open and inspect the set before leaving!

Hassles aside, a terrific package. :emoji_thumbsup:

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
too bad the only way to get the amary is in the 3 movie collection.

i picked up the tin set at best buy today and also ordered the reg tin and colection from columbiahouse super cheap.
so i'll probably have an extra set to movie next week.

i plan to take the amary out of the collection to replace the digipak and sell off the digi.

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
In my case, considering how WB now no longer includes booklets/inserts with chapter stop listings in most Amaray cases, I thought the more informational digipak cardboard case was a much better choice.

Again my thanks to Vincent who first alerted us to this special set - I'm a much happier customer as a result due to the better value and the nice extra postcards.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks