What's new

ATTENTION WARNER BROS... (1 Viewer)

MielR

Advanced Member
Real Name
MielR
Patrick, this is the first I've heard of this. I must be out of the loop.

Did Capitol do anything to remedy the situation (like an exchange program)?

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
For those who maybe confused about interlacing and how it releates to filmed material on DVD, here is a very good explanation.

DVD Player Benchmark - Part 5 - Progressive Scan DVD

And as has been stated by Cees and others, all material on DVD is interlaced, but if properly flagged, the DVD player can produce a progressive image from filmed material. Assuming the DVD player properly de-interlaces, and you are watching the material on a progressive display.

Doug

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

No idea. I couldn't figure out who to contact.

From my experience working with DVD authoring, there's literally a "switch" to encode as progressive or interlaced. Depending on the software, you can have 24fps material up until the final encode... and screw it up. Granted that I think the studios work with more advanced software than Sony's DVD Architect.

Or the weirder cases like films going from progressive to interlaced at moments. This is the case with Robin Hood Daffy on whatever GC it's on (about 1/4 is interlaced). Criterion's Notorious is interlaced for the first 40-45 min. and suddenly goes to progressive. Pink Floyd: The Wall goes in and out of 24fps at random.

It's not like it's because of old video masters. The Charlie Chaplin video masters for City Lights, Modern Times, and The Gold Rush were created back in 1992 and the Image/CBS-Fox DVDs were progressive. Even one of the worst DVDs, The Quiet Man, is progressive.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Progressive material can and should be edited in a progressive environment. However everything encoded for DVD must have the 3:2 pull down inserted into the material to be compatible with NTSC equipment. It must also be encoded at 60 fields per second interlaced. If properly flagged, a progressive scan DVD player can combine the 2 fields of an original progressive image and display it on a TV that is capable of showing progressive images.

Many of the errors that people see with interlacing are more a problem with the DVD player that doesn't de-interlace properly, than the encoded material on the DVD.

Doug

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
Yesterday, I have written a "blurb" but haven't had time to proof it yet. A few questions, what is "combing"? I know with Tom & Jerry vol 1 - there were problems with cartoons being modified (wrong voice etc). There was a replacement DVD which had a a number of problems which I will comment on hopefully tomorrow. What problems existed for the 2nd and 3rd? I know for the 3rd there were 2 cartoons missing which are on the european Tom and Jerrys and are one off the few cartoons that were OK. But on Tom and Jerry 2 &3 - I don't think there were a problems like "interlacing", I also think that the only problem with "Droopy" was that 4 cartoons were modified by DVNR. But I am not aware that there many problems with "Interlacing". All pictures that I have seen of "Interlacing" look like the problem of converting a converted NTSC film to Pal - more in my blurb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks