What's new

ATTENTION WARNER BROS... (1 Viewer)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

There is a visible combing issue in both the LOONEY TUNES GOLDEN COLLECTION VOL. 2 DISC 4 (which has satisfactorily been corrected) as well as the TOM & JERRY SPOTLIGHT COLLECTIONS (which have not been adequately addressed to date!)

Again depending on how you alter the viewing/display settings of your hardware, the problems of interlacing will either register as combing artifacts or ghosting within the image.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

Robert, if it's not what they expect... than what DO they expect us to do when they release DVD's in which we're offered no other option??

(again I'm referring to the Tom & Jerry discs above)

As for POPEYE, as mentioned before -- The issues I see are quite subtle and only noticeable so far when playing back on my pc. I'll leave it to others (Patrick McCart or anyone else willing) to try and secure some screen grabs or investigate further.

I just want WARNER HOME VIDEO to be aware of what is happening with the way they encode the transfers of many of their cartoons on DVD. It's at the worst problematic, and otherwise not ideal to viewing that's reflective of the otherwise (generally) gorgeous transfers and restorations that these films have undergone.

Again T&J are the major exception because they look like CRAP in comparison to everything else (yes I'm well aware of the issues with the studio fire destroying elements) -- but at the very least, they couldn't even be bothered to fix the opening credits so that title cards are properly centered and presented in front of black backgrounds giving some uniformity to the sloppy collections they've produced. That's another thread though...

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Marco and Ken,

The affected (in different ways, I understand) shorties are on:

Tom and Jerry cartoons -> which DVD?
Golden Classics - Looney Tunes (2004) vol. 2 disc 4

Is this correct, and are there more?

Cees

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is one of the most confusing threads I've ever read here at the HTF.

Marco: It seems as if it really would help if you would clearly outline all the sets/shorts on which you see the problems. Then, everyone would have a clear starting point for pinning down the problem and clarifying the discussion.

There's no way to ask WB to fix something if they can't be certain where the problem is. Look at the confusion among HTF members trying to weigh in.

40+ posts in and I know very little more than before I read the thread.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
IIRC, the Tom and Jerry cartoons I am aware of with issues are the ones that were "uncensored" when they did the disc replacement program for The Spotlight Collection Volume One. The original censored discs had no such authoring issues. The shorts that were not changed in any way are fine on both versions.

Regards,

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes, very confusing as different boxsets are being discussed with issues, some of them with varying degrees of PQ problems and some in which have been corrected while others have not been corrected by Warner.

Crawdaddy

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Interlacing is a big problem with studios, though. For example, the otherwise fantastic Help! (Beatles) re-release went through a full 1080p digital restoration only for Capitol to encode it interlaced. It's not like it's difficult. I can produce DVDs on my laptop with proper 24p encoding. It just seems to be an oversight. Even Criterion has made the mistake.

I'll put up some Popeye caps tonight when I get back from work.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
What I find confusing is this: the problem seems different from what was originally identified. I'm very willing to help trying to pinpoint the error, as I'm certain several others are, but although a few members (including me) have asked where they can possibly locate it, we still don't know.

It would really help to know if one of the DVDs in our possession is suspect - and where to find these problems, so we could study them more closely.

I strongly believe that we would be a much more effective partner in a conversation with Warner representatives about these problems, if we knew what we would want to bring forward.

Cees

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Cees,

I appreciate your help and as Patrick has volunteered, he will be posting screen caps from the Popeye set tonight, as I'm unable to do so.

As far as Tom & Jerry is concerned, I can only comment on the "replacement discs" that were issued to supposedly correct the censored cartoons that were released in stores. I have returned all of these box sets due to the poor quality of content and production so I am only left with the replacement discs at this point -- but ALL cartoons here are affected and are as bad as what's been posted above (LTGC examples) if not worse. If somebody would like to point me in the direction of a user-friendly program that would allow me to do screen grabs, I could try to post some stills for all to see. Perhaps than more people would understand my contentions towards these sets.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Yes... it's missing two films from the otherwise complete MGM Hanna-Barbera years that the company previously promised would be completed.

Other than that I would not know because after the debacle of the first two sets I honestly wouldn't have paid thirty-five cents for the third volume. Given the track record of these releases, it wouldn't surprise me if there were other issues. But technically censoring or withholding films (after clearly stating that was against their policy) is problem and reason enough I'd say.

PS - After clicking the link to the Amazon listing, it seems my sentiments are reflected in the review comments as well.

Also, like all the previous sets before it, the films have not been tweaked or cleaned up at all from the syndicated broadcast versions currently airing on TV. Even the title cards are presented sloppily over garish green, blue, red and multicolored backgrounds and it looks like somebody did them in Microsoft Paint. At least fix this up for the DVD release!!!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Marco, with all due respect, man, you're veering off subject a bit here. I thought this was a thread about problematic transfers of some shorts on the new Popeye Volume Two set.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
It IS and also about Warners use of what I suspect are incorrectly flagged or improperly encoded transfers of cartoons on a number of their releases.

I was just responding to Robert's question above... but you are right, this is getting off topic!

Let's wait for Patrick's return!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The transfers themselves... I don't know.

I haven't bought the set as mentioned already.

The problems that I know of are the omittance of two noted films. The transfers of most films from the previous sets and I imagine this one as well (with exception to the truly remastered Cinemascope films) were of less than stellar picture quality on the cartoons themselves. The exact same thing as what you see on Cartoon Network. Significant clean-up could have been put to use, but the transfers themselves I would not call problematic from what little has been relayed to me. UNLESS they are anything like the replacement discs for the previous sets that WHV issued. We are going in circles now, aren't we?

ted:r

Second Unit
I may be out of line here, but could someone please change the name of this thread to something perhaps more relevant to the point of this thread? I'm not dissing the topic, just that I find it (the title of the thread)...somewhat disconcerting.

Of course, if I'm in the vast minority, so be it. Just my feeling.

Edited for clarity.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I checked all 31 shorts on Popeye Vol. 2 and none of them are interlaced. The extras are, though, except for The Mechaical Monsters (same progressive master used on the Superman DVD).

Concerning Tom & Jerry, the best idea for the MGM cartoons is to do Looney Tunes styled 4-disc sets in chronological order. Restore everything with the same quality. Either that or do grab-bag styling like the Looney Tunes. One disc of Harmon-Ising, one of T&J, another of Tex Avery, and the fourth with other stuff.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Good news on the Popeye. Have the set but hadn't started it yet.

As far as the MGM roster of shorts, that's been my fond wish as well, for them all to be released in restored collections. Either Looney Tunes Golden Collection style, or the cheaper Woody Woodpecker style. If a set could be anchored with Woody and be popular, then undoubtedly an MGM set anchored by Tom & Jerry could be just as popular, if not more so.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Patrick... my mistake I guess.

Perhaps I should exchange my set for another.

Sorry for the concern everyone, it seems Warners have done alright by this after all. It's strange because I did notice some strange playback effects on a few of the Disc 1 shorts and when I'd asked someone involved with the production of the DVD, he'd complained to me that many of the shorts were interlaced which is why I started this thread. Again, I'll swap sets tomorrow and again recommend that everyone go out and buy a copy!

Cheers Patrick and thanks for the reassurance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks