What's new

Attention Canadian Shoppers (1 Viewer)

GregClarke

Stunt Coordinator
Just received this offer on refurbs from a local dealer.

X1 with 90 day warranty $ 900.00
X1 with full warranty $ 1100.00
X1 brand new in a box with full warranty $ 1200.00
X2 with 90 day warranty $ 950.00
SP4805 with 90 day warranty $ 1100.00

Let me know if anyone wants further info...

brentl

Senior HTF Member
You can get a brand new Benq 6110 for under a grand with taxes, just watch for a sale at Staples, and Benq routinely has rebates.

Brent

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Animation!
The Oscar and Genie award-winning short film "Ryan" is available in Ryan: The Special Edition DVD. It contains three beautiful short films by the subject, animator Ryan Larkin, three extraordinary short films (including the title short) by "Ryan"'s director, Chris Landreth, as well as a documentary about Ryan and Chris by Laurence Green. Each of these seven pieces includes a commentary by their respective creator. You can get it for $19.99 at Best Buy Canada.
There are two interesting choices for the splendid The Simpsons: The Complete Sixth Season DVD set: HMV has it for $39.99 while Best Buy Canada offers it with bonus The Bart Book (book cover price $13.95) for $42.99.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Fine Double-disc sets
If you don't yet have titles such as the two-disc editions of Punch-Drunk Love, Spider-man 2, Man on Fire, or Apollo 13, these and others (CDs too, not just DVDs) are included as selections in HMV's 2 for $30 sale.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Classic Cinema Plus
I just visited HMV and was happy to see that they have the Warner Brothers two-disc editions of Casablanca, Doctor Zhivago, The Right Stuff, Singin' In The Rain, Unforgiven, Enter The Dragon, My Fair Lady, Amadeus, and others on sale for $19.99 each.
Also, I saw that HMV have included the two-disc edition of The Fifth Element in their 2 for $30 sale I mentioned earlier.

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Something worthwhile for Canon Digital Rebel XT owners
If you have the Canon Digital Rebel XT, Henry's has an accessory kit which includes a battery (NB-2LH, reg. $89.99), UV haze filter, Lowe gadget bag (which can carry the camera with lens mounted, maybe two more lenses, cards, and so on), and vertical grip (BG-E3, reg. $169.99) which can provide power from two NB-2LH's or regular batteries by swapping out an included magazine all for $269.99, reg. $299.99. This price is good until November 6.
When attached, the BG-E3 dramatically improves the feel of the XT especially for people with large hands. It is highly recommended.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thought I'd add a few of things I noticed at Wal-Mart, for those who don't go much...

Andrew mentioned some of the WB 2-discers...W-M has MOST of them for $18 each in a big display. Wish I didn't have all I wanted...a very decent deal. They don't have all the ones Andrew mentioned, especially not all the more "musical" ones, but just about all the others in the series I can think of.

The Desperado/El Mariachi SE's (any new Rodriguez fans?) in the box set from a couple years ago for $16. Should warn you the Mexican "trilogy" is coming out in a new box next week, but for those who have the last one only...

Fox Studio Classics are $7-9. Big display of most titles, but I'd say not ALL the most famous ones that came out early in the series, though many of the great ones and a lot of the more mundane (?, IMO) too. Anyway a couple dozen titles. Fill a few "holes", I picked up the '53 Titanic.

Many sets of two titles packaged together, many actually two GOOD titles instead of one clunker you often get. $15 or less.

Some new good bin titles too.

TroyMM

Grip
Today at lunch (in Ottawa, ON)

Future Shop had the X-Files Seasons 1-9 on sale for $64.99 CDN each.

Future Shop also had Millenium Seasons 1 and 2 on sale for $39.99 CDN each.

Don't know how long this sale will last, but I will finally be able to complete my X-Files collection (had seasons 1,3,6,7; today got seasons 2,4,5; next week I will get seasons 8,9,M1,M2 if the sale is still on).

Troy

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I almost never go to HMV. In the burbs their stores are in malls and have typically been very expensive compared to alternatives not in malls. But I remembered that around last Christmas they did have a good sale. I decided to check them out because of Andrew's posts...too bad they don't have advertising or flyers out here!

Tons of good stuff at decent prices, especially the 2/$30 titles. It's mostly mainstream titles, at least here. Many are quite recent and I crossed a bunch off my "to get" list, mostly 2-disc editions. The 2/$20 are not such a good deal, as many have been in the W-M bin for $7 or 2/$15 for quite a while.

I noticed that generally the HMV DVD prices are now in the ballpark of other major retailers, nothing outrageous. There was a time when they were practically double what Future Shop was...

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Oooo, that's pretty good for Family Guy...looking forward to that one.

Do you know if HMV has some kind of online access to their specials/sales? I see their coupons and ads here and there in different papers, but usually they're out of date by the time I get around to reading them. There are too many papers and too little time...would be nice if they had a flyer, or even ads in the local paper (which takes about 1 minute to "read").

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Good price. IMO that's what FGV3 should have cost, it's like half (maybe 2/3) a season at best...oh well. They're screwing us a tad, and after all the fans have done for FG by purchasing DVD's, but it's not like Fox ever cared so it's expected. Effin Fox executives, I wish Renee Zellweger upon them all.

Anyway, my good deal of the day is at amazon.ca. You can get both the 2-disc WS editions of Million Dollar Baby and The Aviator (decent flicks, and the American versions) together for $12.26. To be released on Dec. 13...this package will *certainly* be much more in stores, two junk 1-discs usually cost more than that.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
For those who only read certain flyers, mainly from "electronics" stores:

For the last couple months, Zellers has had the best *release day only* price on 2-3 discs each time, usually the highest-profile releases.

This week it's 40-Year-Old Virgin for $20 ($25 most other places) and Sin City 2-disc for $25 (reg price, $33 most other places).

May be others, I threw the flyer out and really only pay attention to what I want/interested in. Anyway, if you're buying new-release stuff, check the Zellers flyer, sometimes they hide the DVD stuff pretty well...

Andrew Chong

Supporting Actor
Happy Christmas!
In the flyer Craig mentioned, the $24.87 price for the new Sin City release is a regular price, not a one-day-only price as far as I can tell (this is a ‘without trade and save’ price, it’s $14.87 if you ‘trade in’/redeem Hbc rewards points).
In the same Zellers flyer, M. Night Shyamalan's The Village is showing a price of $12.87. I visited a store and found a stock of maybe 20 Fullscreen versions. Luckily, hiding in the back was a lone Widescreen version. It's also included in HMV's 2 for $30 sale.
Also, Best Buy Canada is selling The Simpsons: The Complete Seventh Season for $39.99.
Photography-wise, the well regarded Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L zoom lens is $100 off at Henrys (now $799.99, reg. $899.99). In fact, quite a few of their lenses are currently discounted and in some cases as much as $130.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, that Sin City price is the regular every-day price...poor wording on my part. I guess people have noted by now that the Canadian SC 2-disc does not have dts on the theatrical cut, the previous release did. Zellers also had the best release-day price on the original version too, about $5 cheaper than anybody else.

And WotW, Polar Express and the Seinfeld boxes recently. Should note that Zellers' main "competitor" is Wal-Mart, and WM often drops their prices to match on release day, without you having to do the price-match hassle. Zellers just happens to be a lot closer to me than any other store that sells DVDs.

Anyway, since we don't have a Canadian list of comparison prices, people are warned to check out the Zellers flyers. One thing I've noted is they don't get a lot of copies of the sale discs, at least here, so try to get there as early as possible on release day. Anything that's family-suitable seems to sell out fast.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
I was looking at the CE of Sin City, but I'm rreally wondering whether they corrected the audio problem(the pumping sound through voiceovers).

Brent

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ Wasn't that just in the dts track? If so, it's gone, because there's no dts track! :frowning: They didn't correct it in the U.S. version, the movie and soundtracks are supposedly the same as the original release.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Has anybody checked out the stock of Lost and Desperate Housewives at Zellers lately? They didn't have any (left??) on Tuesday when I went. Didn't know if it was restocked daily, too busy to wait to ask. Thought I'd check them out, hear they're quite popular series. And at roughly half the typical price, good for blind-buying. I suppose if I miss them they'll be cheap again, Season One's seem to go that way these days. Thanks.

Joseph: was that Bob Newhart S1? I wouldn't mind that at all, got S2 and was surprised (unfounded really, I always liked BN's stuff) how well it holds up.

I'd also like Green Acres S1, what a wacky show, even though S2 may be the "better" place to start. I also recommend Married With Children S1 and MTM S1. I had never seen those seasons when new and thought they were pretty good. I picked up most of these S1's a couple years ago when they first went for $20. That's why I think Lost and DH may be "cheap" again soon. Oh yeah, and Buffy S1. Had never seen the Buffster before, and I really liked it. Even though I'm decades older than the protagonists, that is/was a good show. They mean to get you hooked with cheap S1's, and it worked on me in many cases!

Other recs: look for cheap Family Guy S1 and S2, $25 each. And Arrested Development S1+S2 for $50. Funny stuff.

Edit: any reports on some HMV deals? Don't get there much, but after Christmas IIRC they have some.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks