What's new

Attention Akira Kurosawa Fans! (1 Viewer)

Talal

Stunt Coordinator
anyone know what the screen size is at Film Forum.
I'll be sorely disappointed if High and Low is not shown on a decently large screen.

ah, thank you kurosawa, for showing us what SCOPE is really meant for.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The Throne of Blood print was brand new and therefore fine, but the source elements have definitely seen a better day and could use some restoration.
The screen at the Film Forum is pretty small unfortunately. If you want a big screen, go to the Walter Reade. Dersu Uzala was great there -- too bad the rest of the Kurosawa films aren't at the Walter Reade... The Film Forum has great projection and prints, but considering the place was built from scratch to be the new Film Forum about 10 years ago, the architect should be shot. The Walter Reade is the perfect example of how to build a great movie theater and the Film Forum is one of many examples how not to.
Ted

Nathan V

Supporting Actor
Rashamon is one of THE coolest films ever created (aside from Fight Club, of course)

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
If it's of interest, http://www.dddhouse.com/ have a lot of Kurosawa DVDs (I *think* all are region free) on sale, including the late and early ones which are rarely seen in the west. I know I'm in a minority on this, but I consider his late stuff ('Madadayo' et al) to be his best work.
Quality of the DVDs is not exactly demonsttration standard, IMHO, but on the other hand they're cheap and let's face it, in the case of some titles it's this or nothing.

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
This series is coming to Dallas. It will be at the Magnolia Theater and include 13 films over a 5 week period. Each film will play for one week with 3 films playing each of the first four weeks. Don't know how they will do the daily breakdown of films.

Their schedule is, with the Friday starting each week:
11 April: Seven Samurai, Drunken Angel, I Live in Fear
18 April: The Hidden Fortress, Stray Dog, Throne of Blood
25 April: High and Low, Rashomon, Red Beard
2 May: The Bad Sleep Well, Sanjuro, Yojimbo
9 May: Ikiru

From the Cowboy pictures website the following cities are in the process of playing this series or will get this series in the future
Honolulu: February 28 to April 1
Ithaca: March 1 to May 17
Tucson: March 10 to April 27
Houston: March 14 to April 27
Harford: March 15 to April 27
Milwaukee: April 22 to May 1
Boulder: June 5 to August 14
Atlanta: June 7 to July 26
Brooklyn: August 1 to August 31

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
HOLY *($$*% Atlanta NEVER gets retrospectives like this. Awesome, awesome news. I only hope I'll be able to see them all.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Here in Dallas it just gets better. The Magnolia is right across from a fine French bistro and next to a reasonable (if too pricey) wine bar, with plenty of other restaurants nestled around the theatre.
So this will turn out to be an expensive month for me. But satisfying. :)

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
I know its not NY or LA but there are a lot of great film events in Dallas.

Last week I saw a screening of Salesman with Albert Maysles in attendance taking questions. Last night was a free screening of Confidence and Ed Burns spent an hour taking Q&A.

Last week ended a showing of 9 of the films that were up nominated for Oscar live and animated shorts. Next week will begin a one week run of Peeping Tom.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
YAY, we got Seven Samurai.

Of course that's all that is coming in it appears. Well, it's better than nothing. It has a one week run next week at the Keystone.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Last week I saw a screening of Salesman with Albert Maysles in attendance taking questions.
I really wanted to attend that screening, but had a last minute conflict. Isn’t Salesman a great film Chrs?

Glad someone on the forum managed to attend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks