What's new

Atlantis DVD Audio Problems? (1 Viewer)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up Atlantis on DVD. While the Menus contain audio, etc. when the movie starts, the THX logo has DD sound, so does the Disney DVD intro.. and then.. no sound. Sound completely dissappears and the rest of the movie is left with no audio at all (although it detects a DD signal, no sound is present)

Has this occurred to anyone else?

Chris

Senior HTF Member
OK, now I have audio, apparently, but to be "audible" in order to hear it I have to crank the Denon as far up as it will go. The THX trailer and Disney DVD notice is at the correct volume, but the movie is so damn quiet you can't hear it.

Mark Hammon

Stunt Coordinator
Your Denon is a new one isn't it. Two models of Denon and at least one Onkyo have a new surround chip and it will not play DVDs that have a EX flag on them. The receivers go into "mute".

My Mom just purchased one and she can not hear PEARL HARBOR or JURASSIC PARK III in DD. You should be able to switch your DVD to DTS and you'll hear it just fine.

There is a thread on this in the hardware section.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. I haven't had problems with other discs that are DD-EX (Star Wars Phantom Menace) and Atlantis doesn't have a DTS option, it's DD only.. (and I didn't think it was DD-EX)

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I tried out JPIII this morning and didn't run into the error. I'm using the Panasonic 5 disc changer DVD, I'm wondering WTF the issue is, because Atlantis isn't DD-EX to my knowledge..

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
I also have a Denon AVR 1802 receiver and am having the exact same problem with Atlantis. After reading this thread, I immediately put in T2 Special Edition and played it in DD Surround EX. The sound was fine, so it shouldn't be a problem with the EX flag. There must be some other incompatability that Atlantis has with this Denon 1802 receiver. I would love to find out what it is.

Jim

michael_mcgreev

Auditioning
No, it is a problem with the DDEX flags. Apparantly Dolby have been putting new flags on their EX discs and these are causing a problem with some amps/receivers, resulting in momentary audio dropouts or even total muting in some cases. Atlantis was the first disc to cause this problem and Dolby are advising all disc authors to remove this new flagging from all future discs until they have sorted the problem out. Sourced from the latest issue of Home Cinema Choice magazine (www.homecinemachoice.com).

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Neither Episode One nor Terminator 2: Judgment Day use the EX flag, which was introduced very recently with v7.0 of the AC-3 (Dolby Digital) compression system. There should therefore be no problem playing these titles on Denon or Onkyo EX/ES receivers.

Atlantis: The Lost Empire's soundtrack is Dolby Digital Surround EX, but I don't know whether the DVDs use the new EX flag option that has caused problems on previous titles. If they do, this could well cause problems similar to those described here for listeners with EX/ES Denon and Onkyo receivers.

I haven't previously heard of anyone else experiencing the problems heard with Jurassic Park 3 and Pearl Harbor with either version of Atlantis: The Lost Empire. If it is a problem with the EX flag, the best option is to listen only to the CE's DTS soundtrack. For those with the single disc release, you may be out of luck.

Adam

Ash

Auditioning
I have a Denon 1802 and have also had problems with audio on the 'Pearl Harbour' DVD. While the initial THX trial sounds great, the audio is indeed muted once the movie starts. I tried 3 different DVD's with the same result. 'Pearl harbour' is in DD format; didn't find the DTS logo on the cover.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
All the discs mentioned in this thread work fine with my Denon 3802. The DD EX flag even show up for the first time on the Atlantis DVD.

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the replys. I also checked Dolby labs site and they have the whole run down on this problem. Sounds like they are hot on the case to correct it. Here's the link if anybody's interested. Thanks again. Jim
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks