What's new

ATI TV Tuner and Programing question (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Here's one for you..

I'm just about done converting all my old TV shows to DVD. About $120's and 7 months later, it'll be well worth it to preserve old memories for future familly generations, when the VHS tape would have long degraded...

However, now I've got another problem. I want to completly ditch the VCR off of my computer desktop, in order to get rid of at least some of the wires that are cluttering at the back of the desk. I'll be able to ditch the VCR plug, two cable connectors, and one cable splitter. Leaving only about 10 other wires left, heh.

But, is there anyway I can program the TV Tuner to tape shows like a VCR would? Especially when the Tuner is in 'off' mode, so I don't have to hear Lettermans voice intrude on my dreams as the Tuner starts itself up to tape it. If so, I'll be able to ditch analog, and go completly digital for 2003 :)!

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Neil:

You SHOULD have no problem programming the TV Tuner as you would a VCR. The (ATI) software I'm using does so almost flawlessly. I have a couple of qualms about it, but that's another post for another time.

If you'd like to turn your current computer into a PVR, your best bet is probably to go with an All-In-Wonder card. These usually run about $75 more than their non-AIW Radeon counterparts, and this price is quite rightly justified by the inclusion of an RF remote (no line of sight needed) and the tuner itself on the graphics card. If you're concerned about speed, Tom's Hardware has a good speed comparison. Depending on the speed you want, these AIW cards run from $130 all the way to about $450.

You can also plunk a seperate PCI TV Tuner card down, but I'm not sure how these compare to the All-In-Wonders as far as features go. My guess is that an All-In-Wonder has the equivalent of an $80 TV Tuner card included onboard.

Up to you which way you want to go. :)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Whoops, probalby should have posted the brand of card I have. AIW 7500 64MB DDR :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks