What's new

Athlon owners! Take heed! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Don't get me wrong, the Athlons are great processors. The next generation runs with half the heat generated, and supposedly also solves this problem. However, this needed to be put out into the open
I'll NEVER go back to Intel processors again. Great performance, unbeatable prices! (Athlon 1.4GHz outperforms a P4 1.7GHz)
Jeff Kleist

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Perform the simple task of purchasing a good HSF and installing it correctly and this isn't even an issue.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
A few months ago, after one weeks use with a weaker HS (a Chrome Orb), my dealer replaced the Athlon T-bird 1200/266 in my new system....suprisingly it was done under warranty. The CPU was reported to be toasted. However, before I sent it in, the CPU looked fine....it wasn't melted or anything. The Chrome Orb was replaced by an AMD certified fan, a Volcano II...so far, so good.
Dave

SteveMc

Stunt Coordinator
If installed correctly, the only way heatsinks could fall off is if the computer drop kicked from a height that's gonna damage a lot more than just the CPU. And if you cant install a HS right, you probably shouldn't be messing in one w/o some help.
I hadn't heard of things catching fire, but w/o a HS/Fan your athlon can burn up in about 8 seconds. Hey, maybe that's what that Luke Perry movie is about :)
------------------
Crash
"I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Of course, I've just never seen a chip do that before. SCARY
My heatsink/fan is bolted nice and tight :)
Jeff Kleist

Quinn Granfor

Auditioning
And what was Tom's point? Rip off the fire wall from a car and the upholstry will catch fire........better put in sensors?
AMD makes a good product. Don't let a dumbass article by an Intel zoelet cloud your judgement. :)

Quinn Granfor

Auditioning
OOps, I guess if I would have read your follow up.......I'd see that your judgement wasn't clouded. :) Alas, alot of people's will be swayed by this......rip off the safety feature of any product and they'll be problems.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Properly installed isn't always a guarantee.
I purchased an ASUS MB a few weeks ago and after 3 days use I heard a fairly loud bang. The plastic of an entire side of the CPU slot had given way and the Fan/Heatsink smashed into Video card.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks