What's new

Athena MK11 satelites vs WS 15 and WS 60 speakers (1 Viewer)

netx9nine

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Hey guys, I am currently wiring up my theater for 7.1. I grabbed 4 Athena MK11 satellites and the center for a great deal, but I still need atleast 2 more satellites for the rears. I have been in touch with a guy who is selling two WS 15 speakers as well as two WS 60 speakers. My question is, there is no current data on the web due to athena not being around anymore. Would I be better off snagging the WS series speakers then filling in the left over slots with the MK11? Thanks -Matt

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Idealy" all speakers should all be exactly the same. But I don't know of anyone who actually does that. The Point 5 and WS series both use the same tweeter so in effect they are interchangable. The WS 60 plays a little deeper (60hz) than the P5 (80hz) and the driver in the P5 is a little bit bigger (3 1/2" vs 4") but that probably isn't enough of a difference to sway your decision. Either the P5 or the WS 60's would work real well as fronts with a 100hz crossover setting but since the WS's are available to you right now I would get them. But P5's do come up for sale occasionally (I also have a 5 piece set in a closet somewhere). I've never heard the WS series but if they are anywhere near as good as the Point 5's (and they should be) they're a pretty good bargan.

netx9nine

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Great, thanks for the clarification. I know they both have the same teteron tweeters, but wasnt sure if the WS series was "so much more premium" than the point 5. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks