Athena AS-P4000 Vs JBL E150

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sunil*N, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Sunil*N

Sunil*N Extra

Hi

I am shopping for a reasonable priced Subwoofer. I found these 2 deals. JBL's E150 sub for 169$ including shipping and Athena AS-P4000 for 185$ including shipping.

Has anyone used these? I will use these with my Infinity TSS-750 satelites and OnKyo SR503. I have a room with 300 sq ft.

Appreciate the help!

Sunil

2. Don Scott

Don Scott Stunt Coordinator

Go with the Athena.

3. Brad_Cox

Brad_Cox Agent

I dont have experience with either of the subs but I have had experience with the Athena 225 that comes with the Micra system. I now have it in my bedroom HT as I expanded my main HT with an SVS and Audition series upgrades and I can say that the Athena 225 surprised me pleasantly with its base output. It is a good Movie sub and a bit better as a musical sub. Of course all opinions are subjective to the listeners ear so it is best to go somewhere to hear both of the subs in question and listen yourself.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

4. Tom Donaghue

Tom Donaghue Stunt Coordinator

Hi Sunil;
    I've been doing some comparison shopping myself for a smaller form factor sub that's capable of getting down to ~30Hz or lower with minimal distortion.

The Athena you listed came out on top as the best "bang for the buck" budget subwoofer. In fact, OneCall via Amazon is selling these for $150.00 shipping included. Even if shipping wasn't included, it's still the one of the best budget subs around for less than $200... - TD

5. Sunil*N

Sunil*N Extra

Thanks all. I think I will give a try to Athena. They are made in Canada and came accross some other good reviews of that company.

6. JeffLab

JeffLab Stunt Coordinator

I have had the Athena ASP-4000 in my HT for about 7 months now, and am loving it. Great value for the money, it plays nice and deep for the movies, and is great for music as well. I have no qualms recommending this sub to anyone.

7. eddieZEN

eddieZEN Second Unit

Definitely the Athena.

I just sold my e150, it was awful. Luckily I got almost 80% of what I paid for it back.