What's new

"AT LONG LAST LOVE" , "Where's Charley?" "Song of Norway" Status on musicals misfires (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Moviegrrl said:
ajabrams: Wilder played a fox in the film - hence the orange suite (to match his hair).
Ah yes, that shot of him in the wheat field is priceless.
Also worthy of mention is Bob Fossssee as the snake and Donna McKechnie as the rose. The next year she was on Broadway in A Chorus Line.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
One film I saw at Radio City Music Hall was the first showing of Coppola's One from the Heart. Packed house. Nobody knew how to react to the movie. But I'll never forget the sight of that airliner taking off on that enormous screen.
That blog about At Long Last Love is fascinating--so many different versions. But the blog's author is blinded by his appreciation for the film because there's really no question about the fact that Burt Reynold's could sing. He can't. He tries, but his singing is really mugging because he was afraid to sing in a straightforward manner.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Richard Kaufman said:
One film I saw at Radio City Music Hall was the first showing of Coppola's One from the Heart. Packed house. Nobody knew how to react to the movie. But I'll never forget the sight of that airliner taking off on that enormous screen.
That blog about At Long Last Love is fascinating--so many different versions. But the blog's author is blinded by his appreciation for the film because there's really no question about the fact that Burt Reynold's could sing. He can't. He tries, but his singing is really mugging because he was afraid to sing in a straightforward manner.
Singing in a straightforward manor, even with the composers ongoing help, did nothing to make Pierce Brosnan sound less excruciating. At least Burt didn't make your ears bleed. :P

Moviegrrl

Auditioning
Real Name
Carlye Benedict
Oh, Richard! I beg to differ. Reynolds sings quite well in the film, as well as in "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas." He can clearly carry a melody and never hits a sour note. That's singing! In fact, his voice is reminiscent of Dean Martin's. I'm afraid that you're the one who's blinded.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by GMpasqua /t/318244/at-long-last-love-wheres-charley-song-of-norway-status-on-musicals-misfires#post_3894187

The Digital Bits is reporting "AT LONG LAST LOVE" may be coming to DVD/Blu-ray very soon. Fox recently screened a new cut which was based on the orginal full length version. A shorter version was released to theaters after a good test screening, but a studio editor who liked the dailies didn't like the released cut and kept the original longer version (that version played on some cable stations recently). Director Peter Bogdanovich took that version and made a few minor changes. It's suppose to be pretty good, I guess we will have to wait and see

Here's a link
http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/peter-bogdanovich-screens-new-cut-of-at-long-last-love-and-tells-story-behind-it
The journey of AT LONG LAST LOVE is a fascinating one. There was the theatrical cut, the version for TV and a mystery cut that Peter recently came across, story accurately described on HitFix.com. We are working with Peter to bring that version to BD/DVD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Can we have the remaining scenes in branching or at least as supplements? How about the commentary, interviews we've been chatting about here? PS I vote for the original key art for cover and menus. oh and Boo on Fox's lazy popup only menu.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Quoting from one of the comments on the blog page Mr. Finn referred us to:
GRIFF: One ideal extra for the DVD would be "At Long Last Cole," the lengthy -- 90 min -- late night ABC Wide World of Entertainment special devoted to the film and its premiere party. Hosted by George Hamilton, the show featured lots of clips from the movie as well as extensive interviews with Bogdanovich and the cast and many vintage stars, including Fred Astaire, Mary Martin, Ginger Rogers, Ethel Merman about Porter and his work. There were even some live performances of Porter songs; I fondly recall Roy Rogers' excellent, classy rendition of "Don't Fence Me In." Even host Hamilton got into the act, reciting the lyrics to one of Porter's later songs. A unique and very entertaining show. Another good extra for the DVD would be the episode of DINAH! devoted entirely to the film, which featured Bogdanovich and most of the cast. Either the DINAH! show or the "At Long Last Cole" special (or possibly both; forgive me, it's been over thirty-five years) featured at least one number (and possibly one other) that didn't appear in the movie as released theatrically.
FEBRUARY 2, 2012 AT 3:43AM EST
-----------------------end of quote-----------------------
Repeating my theory that a movie with a checkered past might have increased sales potential if there are extras on it that would draw people who might be on the fence about buying it... e.g. for years I haven't had much interest in actually watching Cleopatra, (maybe the BRD might get me to) but the 2 hour Film That Changed Hollywood documentary was something I wanted to see so much I bought the set and I watch it rather than the movie (but it's sad Fox didn't give this 2 hour doc ANY chapter stops).
Getting Reynolds/Shepherd/Brennan/Hillerman and PB together for new interviews would be a huge bonus, along with easy to include things like the standard production short every movie of this era had. If branching could be used to get all the available numbers back in sequence I'd love that.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Browsing through Variety archives I was surprised what a blockbuster AT LONG LAST LOVE was at Radio City. It had a very healthy 2 month run (replaced by an MGM retrospective before THE WIND AND THE LION landed as theMemorial Day attraction). For the majority of its run it averaged oder $ 250 k a week. Audiences seemed to have enjoyed it. But when tallying up its RCMH grossest, it seemed to have done no business outside of the Big Apple.
The Spring season of 1975 was a renaissance for the movie musical. TOMMY and FUNNY LADY opened the same month. TOMMY shattered house record at the Ziegfeld. A shame ALLL couldn't keep up its torrid pace. Of three Burt Reynolds Fox movies that year, only WW AND THE DIXIE DANCEKINGS was a hit while LUCKY LADY did okay it lost a great deal of money.
MAME and THE LITTLE PRINCEalso did very well at the Hall in 1974 despite being a Maligned Musical and both bombed on saturation release.
I never understood why BUGSY MALONE wasn't a Radio City Music Hall attraction. In the Fall of 1976 they opted for A MATTER OF TIME instead. MALONE would also seem to fall into the misguided musical category as it did very poor business in.the u.s. despite being beloved today.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Louis Letizia said:
Browsing through Variety archives I was surprised what a blockbuster AT LONG LAST LOVE was at Radio City. It had a very healthy 2 month run (replaced by an MGM retrospective before THE WIND AND THE LION landed as theMemorial Day attraction). For the majority of its run it averaged oder $ 250 k a week. Audiences seemed to have enjoyed it. But when tallying up its RCMH grossest, it seemed to have done no business outside of the Big Apple.
The Spring season of 1975 was a renaissance for the movie musical. TOMMY and FUNNY LADY opened the same month. TOMMY shattered house record at the Ziegfeld. A shame ALLL couldn't keep up its torrid pace. Of three Burt Reynolds Fox movies that year, only WW AND THE DIXIE DANCEKINGS was a hit while LUCKY LADY did okay it lost a great deal of money.
MAME and THE LITTLE PRINCEalso did very well at the Hall in 1974 despite being a Maligned Musical and both bombed on saturation release.
I never understood why BUGSY MALONE wasn't a Radio City Music Hall attraction. In the Fall of 1976 they opted for A MATTER OF TIME instead. MALONE would also seem to fall into the misguided musical category as it did very poor business in.the u.s. despite being beloved today.
I think the Music Hall itself was enough of a draw even if the movie wasn't so much, as long as the movie was entertaining once you got there. That said, even the hall couldn't save a snoozer like Harry and Walter, Matilda and A Matter of Time. While the hall could do impressive numbers with its huge capacity, its operating expenses (including a huge stage show 4 times a day) may have eaten up much of the profits.
While I shudder to hear Tommy being referred to as a musical, I do agree that Bugsy Malone would probably have done better at the hall than A Matter of Time, which was so bleak and depressing. The allure of Liza and Vincente Minnelli, who had a personal history at the Music Hall, must've been a factor in the booking decision. I wonder if the stuff that was cut from AMoT for the hall's runtime rules made the picture less entertaining. Now it's lost in "sock heaven" with the cut musical numbers from On A Clear Day and Doctor Dolittle and Pia Zadora's career.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
Researching the Hall attractions has led me to believe it was more a Hall of Shame. Most of the films that premiered there were second rate features and none became blockbuster's. THE TAMARIND SEED, FHE BLACK WINDMILL, PAPER TIGER, I admittedly.enjoyed all of these on hbo, but would bog have run out to tbeated to see them.
As for TOMMY, I cherish that movie,1975 was an extraordinary year for.movies.

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/318244/at-long-last-love-wheres-charley-song-of-norway-status-on-musicals-misfires/60#post_3898694
Getting Reynolds/Shepherd/Brennan/Hillerman and PB together for new interviews would be a huge bonus, along with easy to include things like the standard production short every movie of this era had. If branching could be used to get all the available numbers back in sequence I'd love that.
agree! new interviews are a must.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Finn said:
agree! new interviews are a must. 
WOW. Did I just hear a Fox studio exec (right?) agree about something that would take substantial extra effort for a catalog release of a notorious (but entertaining) um, "financial disappointment"?
WOW. Can we lobby for better menus, too?

Finn

Insider
Real Name
James Finn
aren't you the guy DM'ing me about work? odd reply to publicly send. good bye.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Louis Letizia said:
Researching the Hall attractions has led me to believe it was more a Hall of Shame. Most of the films that premiered there were second rate features and none became blockbuster's. THE TAMARIND SEED, FHE BLACK WINDMILL, PAPER TIGER, I admittedly.enjoyed all of these on hbo, but would bog have run out to tbeated to see them.
As for TOMMY, I cherish that movie,1975 was an extraordinary year for.movies.
Radio City Music Hall had one hard and fast rule that did them in eventually: They insisted on absolute exclusivity for like a hundred mile radius. That lost them movies like Grease, Annie, Close Encounters, other blockbusters that could have packed the place.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Finn said:
odd reply to publicly send. good bye.
The point was it was amazing to have someone in your position agree with us on a request for extras on a not-so well-known catalog title where we would normally be told there isn't enough interest in it to spend any extra money.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Also saw The Wind and the Lion at Radio City! It was unexpectedly good, despite Connery's bizarre Scottish accent as a Berber chieftan.
Funny Lady was pretty bad after Babs had all of James Caan's musical numbers chopped out. There's a movie which should be restored to its original edit.
Mame = Turd. Too bad for Lucy's swan song.
Bugsy Malone is loved today?

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Richard Kaufman said:
Also saw The Wind and the Lion at Radio City! It was unexpectedly good, despite Connery's bizarre Scottish accent as a Berber chieftan.
Funny Lady was pretty bad after Babs had all of James Caan's musical numbers chopped out. There's a movie which should be restored to its original edit.
Mame = Turd. Too bad for Lucy's swan song.
Bugsy Malone is loved today?
I discovered on a Streisand fan site how much was cut from Funny Lady. I thought the cuts had been from it having been conceived as a roadshow with intermission like Funny Girl, then having to be reworked as a regular release. How many songs did Caan have? I agree it is problematic but like what is there.
Actually I regard Mame as a guilty pleasure, as miscast as Hello, Dolly! but with enough entertainment value to be diverting. I suppose one has a higher threshold of disbelief suspension with a musical, and some just stretch it further than others.
Never said Bugsy Malone was LOVED today, just agreed that it seemed a better draw for the Music Hall than Matter of Time turned out to be, as the latter turned out so bleak and depressing, while the former was at least cute and amusing.
Are you saying Connery's performance is up there with Bronxy Tony Curtis in Sparticus "I tawt dem de clessiks" or Edward G; Robinson's ganster-egyptian in Ten Commandments "Whaah's ya messiah now?" or John Wayne's Gengis Kahn? It's funny sometimes an incongruous accent is not even questioned, like Julie Andrews playing a small town girl, (originally written as Kansas) in Thoroughly Modern Millie - not mentioning she sounds like that small town was somewhere outside London. She was so beloved and the accent was part of the charm, so I think no one even thought to ask her if she could play American. Suspension of disbelief again, I guess. ; ) But years later they rewrote Sandy as an Aussie for Olivia Newton-John in Grease.

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
I believe there is still quite a large following for BUGSY MALONE. I was never a fan but loved the title song. I think this could have benefited from a RCMH release as it did have an exclusive NY run at a much smaller theater. It cleaned up inBritain but while it is aBritish productn it is purely American akin to theFrench THE ARTIST.
paramount had quite a few movies in the 70s that bombed badly in tgeaters but became very popular as to almost think they were hits. I was very surprised in my Variety research at what a boxoffice stiff HANDLE WHAT CARE was despite huge support from NY critics. I knowit wasn't a very successful movie un general but had thought at least in Manhattan it was a hit. I was very wrong.
FRATERNITY ROW was also DOA as well as LEADBELLY, THE BIG BUS, POSSE, AN ALMOST PERFECT AFFAIR, REAL LIFE, NIJINSKY, THE OUTSIDER, DANCE OF DEATH, MALICICIOUS, THE DOVE, SECOND HAND HEARTS, LOVE AND MONEY all bombed and many had exclusive runs of which they never branched out.
Recently I was excited by Film Districts exluaive run of the Angelina Jolie directed IN THE LAND OF BLOOD AND MONEY but it too never broke out. WB was very brave to give EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE a 4 week exclusive run in this whizzed bang climate. If that movie couldn't make it in a nurtured run with its two megastars, what is the future of exclusive runs!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks