What's new

"AT LONG LAST LOVE" , "Where's Charley?" "Song of Norway" Status on musicals misfires (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'll await their decision with interest. It's one thing when old favorites aren't released on home video; at least we can catch them on TCM or other cable outlets, but when something simply goes missing for decades, it's another story altogether.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I'm one of those fanatics who made a 'complete' version of ALLL on S-video; I went the extra mile and did my best to sync the soundtrack stereo LP with the image so that I would have stereo sound for at least most of the songs. The interview linked above with Spielberg is interesting, since when he first saw the 'extra' footage he was surprised and didn't know how it came to be released. That is odd, because the first time the movie played on tv it was on ABC late night. That was an entirely new edit, and it has been widely reported that Bogdanovich, who was at the time rather unhappy with Ms Shepherd, put her scenes at the top of his list of things to cut. As a result, in the ABC version at the beginning the establishing songs for Del Prete and Kahn were included for the first time (they were not in the theatrical release), Burt Reynolds's song was kept, but Shepherd's was cut--the only one of the four stars to have their opening song removed!
The ABC edition included much new footage in addition to the two opening songs, and in fact all the 'new' footage in the current version was seen previously in the ABC cut, reportedly edited by PB. However, the ABC cut also eliminated a fair amount of material (besides Cybill's opening number). The current edit is probably the best of all the versions (theatrical, ABC, current) but still lacks a few bits that have only appeared in the ABC edition:
Tomorrow: One verse has been cut, sung by Del Prete as he and his poker player friends are riding down an elevator and he then ushers them into their waiting taxicabs.
Etiquette: Sung by Shepherd and Eileen Brennan as they are leaving the race track, this is completely gone in the current version.
Alpha to Omega reprise: Sung by Kahn and Del Prete in between 'You're the Top' and the YtP swimming pool scene (it is said in the latter that Cybill's clowning around with Burt's nose thingie actually broke one of his teeth).
Another unique 'feature' of the ABC edition was that the closing credits did not include the finale music heard in every other version (and on the LP). Instead there were distant street noises (and at one point, the booming voice of, if I remember correctly, David Hartmann plugging 'Good Morning America').

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm sure a making of documentary (or a book) on this ill-fated project would be quite illuminating. Most of the principals are still around if they'd be willing to talk without letting egos and bitterness from the past color their comments..

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattH. said:
I'm sure a making of documentary (or a book) on this ill-fated project would be quite illuminating. Most of the principals are still around if they'd be willing to talk without letting egos and bitterness from the past color their comments..
I'm all for that... And I bet Cybill would do it. She's been pretty candid in interviews and her book...

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark-edk said:
I'm one of those fanatics who made a 'complete' version of ALLL on S-video; I went the extra mile and did my best to sync the soundtrack stereo LP with the image so that I would have stereo sound for at least most of the songs.
That's my kind of fanatic. Bravo. Please tell us more. When and where did you first see this movie, and how did you come across all the different versions? I bet you've collected a lot of nifty memorabilia as well. Got any of it scanned yet? Have you ever tried to contact Fox or PB about it? I once proposed something to his top rep.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Cybill Shepherd's book was a delightful read, and I agree that the prospect of a commentary by her for ALLL would be irresistible.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/318244/at-long-last-love-wheres-charley-song-of-norway-status-on-musicals-misfires/30#post_3896652
Cybill Shepherd's book was a delightful read, and I agree that the prospect of a commentary by her for ALLL would be irresistible.
Yep. The movie, for all its faults, could make for a desirable release with some thought behind making the bonus features interesting and entertaining.

mark-edk

Second Unit
I first saw the movie in theaters and enjoyed it a lot more than the critics, even though I know there are real problems with it. The on-site performances of the songs wreacked havoc at times. It's not so much the singers going off pitch, though there was some of that, as the rhythms. The male leads were especially bad in this regard; when the orchestral accompaniments were added in the arrangers had to add an extra beat to this measure, subtract one from another, just to keep somewhat in 'time' with the singers. Cybill was very good in this regard, though not perfect.
I don't have the original theatrical version on video; I don't think it exists in that form. I do have the soundtrack 2-LP set, which is a good guide to which songs were included and which weren't. I taped the ABC latenite tv premiere when it aired (on my trusty Betamax, which I'm pleased to say still works decades later!). And got the current version during a showing on Fox Movie Channel. I really don't have much memorabilia and stuff from the movie...I'm not that into that sort of thing beyond maybe saving a souvenir booklet, which I'm pretty sure ALLL didn't have. I don't think I have anything that Fox would be interested in. I'm sure they have the footage exclusive to the ABC cut, and even if they don't, the video quality of my old non-hi Beta tape via an off-air signal is not going to cut it anyhow. I just hope that they include the missing songs as a DVD bonus. It'd be great if they could have stereo sound, but I don't think the movie was ever released in stereo, though the songs were recorded in stereo for the soundtrack album.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I remember seeing a kind of making-of documentary for the movie that showed an electronic piano following around the stars as they sang live (out of camera range, of course, and they wore ear pieces to hear their keys). Then it was explained that the full orchestra would be added in later to accompany the previously recorded live vocals. I don't know where I saw this; possibly on some late night show, possibly on AMC or some other cable channel when the movie was first broadcast. But it was interesting to see how they did the live singing.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark-edk said:
I first saw the movie in theaters and enjoyed it a lot more than the critics, even though I know there are real problems with it. The on-site performances of the songs wreacked havoc at times. It's not so much the singers going off pitch, though there was some of that, as the rhythms. The male leads were especially bad in this regard; when the orchestral accompaniments were added in the arrangers had to add an extra beat to this measure, subtract one from another, just to keep somewhat in 'time' with the singers. Cybill was very good in this regard, though not perfect.
I don't have the original theatrical version on video; I don't think it exists in that form. I do have the soundtrack 2-LP set, which is a good guide to which songs were included and which weren't. I taped the ABC latenite tv premiere when it aired (on my trusty Betamax, which I'm pleased to say still works decades later!). And got the current version during a showing on Fox Movie Channel. I really don't have much memorabilia and stuff from the movie...I'm not that into that sort of thing beyond maybe saving a souvenir booklet, which I'm pretty sure ALLL didn't have. I don't think I have anything that Fox would be interested in. I'm sure they have the footage exclusive to the ABC cut, and even if they don't, the video quality of my old non-hi Beta tape via an off-air signal is not going to cut it anyhow. I just hope that they include the missing songs as a DVD bonus. It'd be great if they could have stereo sound, but I don't think the movie was ever released in stereo, though the songs were recorded in stereo for the soundtrack album.
I wasn't suggesting Fox would want your collection, just that some people scan their ads and stuff and post it here. As for actors not keeping to the beat of the music, have you seen Evita? ugh. Had I been able to see this in theatres I probably would have liked it as much as Mame and other musicals of the day. I did buy the soundtrack album. I once met someone from Canada who was a very big fan who had gone to some lengths to get material on it, but his enthusiasm was cool (like yours) and not crazy.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattH. said:
I remember seeing a kind of making-of documentary for the movie that showed an electronic piano following around the stars as they sang live (out of camera range, of course, and they wore ear pieces to hear their keys). Then it was explained that the full orchestra would be added in later to accompany the previously recorded live vocals. I don't know where I saw this; possibly on some late night show, possibly on AMC or some other cable channel when the movie was first broadcast. But it was interesting to see how they did the live singing.
Sounds like the typical production short they did for so many movies back then, from Funny Girl to Willy Wonka, often done by the same people, same narrator, writer (Jay Anson of Amityville fame). Professional Films, inc. something like that.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
MattH. said:
Yep. The movie, for all its faults, could make for a desirable release with some thought behind making the bonus features interesting and entertaining.
Don't you agree that bonus features and exceptional presentation, (added scenes, alternate cuts, roadshow elements, etc) can increase sales to people whose interest in the movie may be minimal to borderline? I have bought several movies I was not particularly interested in because of the added content. Cleopatra, Ben-Hur, Ten Commandments for the Making of features, Camelot for the premiere program, etc. Am I alone, here?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The difference is that BEN-HUR, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, and CLEOPATRA were hits, or at least well-known. AT LONG LOVE LOST was a flop, one that's been pretty much unavailable for 40 years, and having Burt Reynolds come to would-be buyers' houses to sing Cole Porter to them wouldn't sell a single copy. (It might actually depress sales, given the level of some of the singing/dancing.) That said a Fox/Shout! Factory/TT DVD/BD of the movie, with a Bogdanovich commentary, would be a nice thing to have and should not be outside the realm of possibility.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Cashill said:
The difference is that BEN-HUR, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS, and CLEOPATRA were hits, or at least well-known.
You don't see the words CLEOPATRA and Hit in the same sentence often.
Bob Cashill said:
AT LONG LOVE LOST was a flop, one that's been pretty much unavailable for 40 years, and having Burt Reynolds come to would-be buyers' houses to sing Cole Porter to them wouldn't sell a single copy.
I know at least a dozen people who would happily prove you wrong on that point.
You can throw the word flop around, and many of us can name lots of flops that sell well on video.
And the less "known" or "successful" something is, the more reason for added content to increase interest.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
NY2LA said:
You don't see the words CLEOPATRA and Hit in the same sentence often.
I
As Andrew B. would be quick to point out, CLEOPATRA was the top-grossing film of 1963. It was indeed a hit and was the "must-see" film of that year. But it's production was notoriously trouble-plagued and it cost an insane amount of money to produce. As a result it nearly bankrupted its studio. It would have had to have grossed like THE SOUND OF MUSIC just to break even. Fox did start to show a profit after its sale to television.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/318244/at-long-last-love-wheres-charley-song-of-norway-status-on-musicals-misfires/30#post_3896785
I saw that same thing and that little documentary enticed me to go see the film. I would love to see that documentary again and if ALLL gets released, I hope it and commentaries are on it. Since it is such a boutique film, I would think Twilight Time could be all over this and SAE could release the soundtrack. Still have that double LP album but a remasterd CD would be "THE TOP"

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
"A dozen people" isn't going to cut it, except maybe as a MOD disc (like LOST HORIZON '73). CLEOPATRA is certainly better known than AT LONG LAST LOVE, which is recalled, if at all, as a career-killing disaster.
I'm not disputing that it shouldn't be on disc. If LUCKY LADY can make it, why shouldn't Shout! resurrect this one, too? But save for Criterion no one's doing bells-and-whistles discs anymore; Shout!, Olive, and Twilight Time discs don't have a lot of special content. A DVD/BD of AT LONG LAST LOVE with a commentary and a trailer would be generous for the market as it is today.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I'm not sure Fox has ever bothered to do a widescreen transfer of this film. I've never seen it in any ratio but 4:3 on television (except for letterboxed opening credits). Frankly, if that's all they have available, I wouldn't be interested in buying that.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"Cleopatra" was filmed as Two movies, then released as one. If the two films had remained Fox might have made more money and the cost would have been split bewteen the two films - possibly earning each a profit - and giving the public two excellent films instead of one above average film

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
GMpasqua said:
"Cleopatra" was filmed as Two movies, then released as one. If the two films had remained Fox might have made more money and the cost would have been split bewteen the two films - possibly earning each a profit - and giving the public two excellent films instead of one above average film
Yes I got that from the doc, and wonder what would have been. Have you ever read the published books about the production? I've had them on my Amazon wish list but they're still too expensive... one of the extras listed for the upcoming bluray sounds like it at least references one of the books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks