What's new

At last, Donna Reed Show to be released on DVD!! (1 Viewer)

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
I really, really love this quote from the press release:

"In the 1960s, before we lived with computers and cable TV with over 200 channels of mostly junk, the Stone family showed what love, respect and support for one another looked like."

I couldn't have said it better myself. Just this morning I was having a conversation with a friend about how I would trade the internet, cable and DVDs in a second to have the world back the way it was in the 60s when it was so much nicer. The Stones, like the Cleavers, maybe don't show how every family was back then but at least how we wish they were. Where is that depicted now?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Nice to get confirmation from TVShowsonDVD that the 1st season is coming in October! This is definitely on my "to buy" list.

Gary "today's been a good day for release news" O.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I used to love watching this on N@N when I was a kid. You know, back when N@N didn't air shows that are on five different networks and weren't just on prime-time three years ago. I definately plan to get this

Hopefully Patty Duke is coming also.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

The 1950's and 1960's were no better than today.

Then it was the fear of Atomic War and "commies" now it's Terrorists.

There was Korea and Vietnam,now it's Afganastan and Iraq.

Did every family REALLY go to Church every Sunday and owned a Ford?

...Television just became "real". ("The Barones" and "The Buckmans" are the most realistic TV familes in the last 15 years!)

Blame Rock & Roll, the beatnicks and Hippies who took over Television and America - or it was a commie plot that actully worked! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Let's stick to the topic of the Donna Reed Show and leave the discussion about current world affairs versus yesteryear to a forum in which that topic is appropriate to discuss there.

Crawdaddy

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

Speaking strictly in the context of home entertainment:

Although I love classic TV and would love to "visit" the time to see how the really forgotten programming compares to today, I wouldn't want to live in an era without the devices that allow us to keep and watch TV and films at home of our own choosing.

Sure there was stuff like Donna Reed, Patty Duke, Bewitched and others across the dials (and that is not true today) but it was at the mercy of the Networks and TV station programmers.

No sir, I want to be able to record/buy and keep my favorite shows and movies for whenever I want to watch.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Pardon my digression into the "Real World" from the "Reel World" of TV :)

Elena S

Supporting Actor
I will be purchasing this the minute it is available. This news makes me very happy!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Did Shelley Fabares have a farewell episode or did they just say she was away at college after she left the show?

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Best thing about this is NO SPLIT SEASONS! Hopefully season 2 will be released EARLY next year.

MARC1

Agent
Real Name
marc soaper
I can't wait for this one.It is good to know the sudio already has plans for season 2 in 09.
I am on board for all seasons of this one. Keep bringing the classics.
Now if we can just get season 2 and beyond of Hazel.:frowning:

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank

I'm not sure if they had one. If they did, it would have been the last show of the fifth season. But she did return for a few appearances, including in the 200th episode. Which made sense - she was away at college and would come home from time to time to visit. Much more logical than what they did with Sherry Jackson on Make Room for Daddy. They "sent her away to college" at age 16 and then a year later brought the character back with a new actress. I wonder what it was she did, other than developing a great figure as a teenager, to get tossed off the show.

MARC1

Agent
Real Name
marc soaper
The extra's for The Donna Reed Show Season 1 are posted at tvshowsondvd.com.
I can't wait the extras are great including an original tv commercial.
I love those original tv commercials that the actors would do while being in charactor. Cover art is great toooooo.Hop on over to tvshowsondvd.com and take a look.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Yeah, just came from there, can't wait! It's really nice to see 2 of my most wanted dvd sets (Donna Reed and Adam-12) on the same page of news topics!

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Are there any early reviews of this set which is scheduled to come out in a few weeks? Has anyone heard about music replacement? After the My Three Sons debacle I'm very afraid for this release.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
Since the company releasing it will not be CBS/Paramount, I'm hopeful the music will be intact. I wonder more about the picture quality and whether the episodes will be complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks