Asus and Intel show why RT is dead..

Discussion in 'Computers' started by mattCR, Sep 12, 2013.

1. mattCR

mattCR Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt
    Asus rolled out their announcement tonight of their new Windows 8.1 Quad Core tablet. No, not RT.. full 8.1.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/11/asus-reveals-transformer-book-t100-with-windows-8-1-for-349-we/
    Micro-USB and USB 3.0 port, HDMI, full Windows 8.1, Intel Bay-Trail-T CPU with their new graphics core, flippable doc for a keyboard transformer style... $349.

The best feature of the WinRT tablets was this.. ability to use a citrix connection and manipulate local printers from a server to have the device print directly to networked devices through POS equipment, as well as the ability to run POS software through directed RDP with redirected printer calls.

And.. that's kind of it. Oh, there were a few other perks, but not enough to woo people. But a fully functional complete tablet/transformer with 11 hour battery life is a different thing, and it makes you wonder what market MS sees for RT... frankly, if this works as I expect it to, and I could install a local Pervasive SQL client, Crystal Reports Client and Putty client, then I've got pretty much everything I need for half the departments I support..

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

And why would anyone not get the 64GB RAM version for $50 more?