What's new

Astaire-Rogers Volume 2 for October 17th (1 Viewer)

DeeF

Screenwriter
By the way, my project today: replacing all my musicals that came in snapper cases (mostly Warners/MGM) with slimline cases. I take apart the snapper, and make a color copy (2-sided, fit-to-page) which I then trim and stick in the clear slim case. Voila! Instantly saves about 50% space.

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator

Feeling like a kid in a candy store right now...I can't wait for October.

I thought I had read some months ago that The Gay Divorcee was going to get 2-disc treatment. I'm not really complaining; I was wondering what material there could possibly be to warrant that.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I always find it quite amusing when some entity releases partial information before the proper date.

I, for one, am not only thrilled by Warner's decision on how to handle these films, but am astounded that they're going out of their way as far as both inventory and cost to give the public two versions of the packaging, based upon the individual's needs and desires.

The films will not be releases in "sleeves," whatever "sleeves" are, but rather in clear slimcases, with an additional five cases with appropriate covers to make up a new set of the ten films for those who have them in the old amarays.

How much more consumer friendly can a company get?

RAH

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!

Warner is king of all DVD.

The Jesus and savior of home video!

I am so glad I held out and can't wait for the ultimate set, it looks fantastic!!!!

And the release context re: packaging and such is extremely commendable and duly noted!

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Corey, that's the way I'm reading it. Anyone who bought vol. 1 can get everything offered in the Ultimate collection by purchasing this "special ultimate collection" just for us. I just can't be happier with Warner, most of my dvd collection consist of their old hollywood movies. I see that there aren't any docs or commentaries on any of the discs and Story of Vernon and Irene Castle doesn't even have a trailer. I wonder why?

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Well, great, slimcases are better than "sleeves". I still plan to buy Volume 2 (as well as the Ultimate set), since it looks like Volume 2 contains amarays that will match Volume 1 (and I still prefer them to slimcases).

Although I'm excited about the program reproductions & photos included in the ultimate box, I, too was wondering about the lack of trailers/other extras on the discs themselves. I realize the movies are pretty old...maybe no rare footage/audio exists anymore? Still, new commentaries would've been nice (Fred Astaire's daughter, Ava, did one for FOX's release of "Daddy Long-Legs"...maybe something similar could've been arranged here? Or film historian-type analysis) And didn't Ginger Rogers appear in several shorts before teaming with Fred? (I've seen at least one on TCM) Would've been nice if Warner included some of those....

P.S. If any of the shorts listed *do* feature Ginger, please excuse my ignorance.

Corey

Screenwriter

oh great, cause i sure did want that bonus dvd & cd along with the photo stills.

On many of the online DVD sales sites I've seen offers for THE ASTAIRE AND ROGERS COLLECTION VOL.2 and THE ASTAIRE AND ROGERS ULTIMATE COLLECTION, but I have not seen THE SPECIAL ASTAIRE AND ROGERS ULTIMATE COLLECTION (the one with the sleeves for the owners of vol. 1). Has anyone seen an offer for sale of this special set on any site? If so, where and at what price?

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
I'm wondering if it will be a mail-in offer - hopefully not necessitating the purchase of aomething

Sammy-G

Stunt Coordinator

Check out Amazon – they have an “Amazon.com Exclusive Astaire & Rogers Partial Ultimate Collector's Edition”. Whew, what a mouthful.

No details, but it looks like the set in question. They’re selling it for $46. Didn’t know it would be exclusive to Amazon, though…

ChrisRose

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to see that nobody else seems to care Warner's not including *all* the trailers for these films, or giving the boxset a similar treatment to their Gangster/Tough Guys collections - with new featurettes and commentaries for each movie. Don't classic musicals, especially those starring Astaire & Rogers, deserve substantial bonus features/analysis?

Don't suppose anyone can tell me whether any of Ginger Rogers' pre-stardom shorts will be included? And if not, why not? Warner owns 'em, seen 'em on TCM...I can't think of a more natural place to release them than on this boxset. Unless they're being saved for future solo Ginger Rogers DVDs. I hope so - hope it's not another careless oversight, similar to the exclusion of the "Hollywood Goes To Town" featurette on the upcoming Marie Antoinette DVD. Yeah, I'm still harping on that. :P I want answers, dammit!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
From WB:
----------

Please be advised that the DVD release of Warner Home Video’s Astaire and Rogers Collection Volume 2 has been changed to October 24.

Herb.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Exactly. And the Partial Ultimate Collection is only $4.10 more than the regular Vol 2. It's a no-brainer which one to get. $41.99 for the Regular Volume 2. $46.09 for the Partial Ultimate Collection.. Great job Warners!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks