What's new

Aspect Ratio Report Suggestion (1 Viewer)

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator
I have a suggestion that we users start using the following guidelines when discussing and reporting Aspect Ratios in discussion and reviews.
It would be broken down into two parts: 1) Indicate if Aspect Ratio is Original (For example, use OAR for Original Aspect Ratio) or Not (For exampe, use MAR for Modified Aspect Ratio), and 2) The aspect ratio that is actually shown. If original, put that value. If modified, put the aspect ratio that the film was modified TO. Some examples are:
[OAR - 1.85:1]
[OAR - 1.33:1]
[MAR - 1.33:1]
[MAR - 1.78:1]
This would also take into account movies that are MAR'd from say 1.85 to 1.78 in the future when released will be "Pan & Scaned" for the new widescreen TV's because the same people that bitch now, will bitch later about the same black bars. It will also draw away from confusion that arises from term P&S, Full Frame, Open Matte, etc which are often used interchangebly, but shouldn't be. Not only that, but the term "Full Frame" needs a point of reference, since on a 16x9 screen, it definitely isn't "Full Frame" [aside from stretching it to fit, but that doesn't count].
The only thing that this leaves out is what was the OAR for MAR discs. This may be somewhat important to some in the future (but not to me as I will not buy any MAR disc) where a disc MAR'd from 2.35:1 to 1.78:1 will not be quite as butchered as one going from 2.35:1 to 1.33:1, but that maybe is not needed at this time.
Ultimately, I would LOVE that the studios follow suit on specs listed on the back, but I recognize that this is just a pipedream, but I would be willing to bet that it would cause a lot of confusion to go away (aside from the fact that some DVD's incorrectly state the aspect ratio used on the disc)
Another thing - When a movie IS butchered into "P&S" sceeens, the wording "This movie has been modified to fit your screen", which is required by law, should be updated to reflect WHAT screen. For example: "This movie has been modified to fit a 4:3 screen" and "This movie has been modified to fit a 16x9 screen" [Don't laugh at the last one. It HAS happened - To "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: The Movie", MAR'd from 4:3 to 16x9 - Go figure! There may be others, but I am just not aware of them.]
Let me know what you think....
Bill

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I think it would be nice that intead of just showing a black screen wit the words modified to fit your screen that they would also show two images that showed how much you were missing in the cropped version.

KlausWinkler

Agent
Why not use a notification like
[MAR, OR-MR] while omitting the ":1", for modified movies.

i. e. [MAR 2,35-1,78] would be formatted from 2,35:1 to 1,78:1 (16:9)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
WB has the best system:

"WIDESCREEN VERSION Presented In A "Matted" Widescreen Format Preserving The Aspect Ratio of its Theatrical Exhibition."

"WIDESCREEN VERSION Presented In A "Letterbox" Widescreen Format Preserving the "Scope" Aspect Ratio of its Original Theatrical Exhibition"

"STANDARD VERSION Presented In A Format of its Original Theatrical Exhibition"

For New Line, they list the AR and say if the AR is changed at request of the filmmakers (such as Austin Powers 1 or Life As A House).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks