What's new

Aspect Ratio Documentation (2 Viewers)

Dr Griffin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zxpndk
Going by the title image in Mark's post, and using that Paramount Framing Guide, it looks like 1.66:1 is not indicated. The left mark being 1.85:1, and right mark being 2:1.

avroman

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Warren Thomson
Just been reading through the CinemaScope Handbook. I observed it is probably the British Version of the publication, as the word "theatre" is the British spelling, and also the illustrated Projector is the British "Ga
umont Kalee".

By the way, The Paramount Framing Guide was 1.85 : 1 (Top Line of the Guide), 2.0 : 1 (The Lower Line), and 1,66 : 1 (The Top of the Frame).
I screened almost all of Paramount's VistaVision movies in the 1950's and '60's.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Just been reading through the CinemaScope Handbook. I observed it is probably the British Version of the publication, as the word "theatre" is the British spelling, and also the illustrated Projector is the British "Ga
umont Kalee".

Most of the advertisements I have seen have "theatre" for US movie theatres.

martincineramasl040166.jpg

rivoli.jpg

indianagrimm.JPG

centurytff.jpg

southgate.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The example from Toko-Ri is missing the top of the alignment scribe.

These were physically scribed into the beginning of each roll of camera negative, and reproduced in prints.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Last edited:

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
Bob, I watched my TT blu-ray of Anastasia the other night and after I watched it I went to look at the review on bluray.com I was surprised to see them claiming the OAR was 2.55 and not the 2.35 it was presented in. I always thought the AR was changed midway in 1956 when the MagOptical prints became the standard and as this premiered in December 1956 the correct AR would be 2.35.... Any thoughts on this?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Bob, I watched my TT blu-ray of Anastasia the other night and after I watched it I went to look at the review on bluray.com I was surprised to see them claiming the OAR was 2.55 and not the 2.35 it was presented in. I always thought the AR was changed midway in 1956 when the MagOptical prints became the standard and as this premiered in December 1956 the correct AR would be 2.35.... Any thoughts on this?

I don't know precisely when Fox changed over during production so can't say for sure on this one.

From our website:
The first composite release with both magnetic stereo and a mono optical track on one print was KISMET in December 1955. Magoptical prints were put into wide release in February 1957 with THE TRUE STORY OF JESSE JAMES.

http://www.3dfilmarchive.com/the-first-year-of-stereophonic-sound

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks