What's new

As the World Turns - 20 episode set (1 Viewer)

potnoodle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Will F
Edge of Night also had a ghost story where Bill and Martha Marceau moved into a new house that belonged to a slain mobster and came complete with a restless female spirit. That was also during the Dark Shadows era.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Mark Collins /t/315748/as-the-world-turns-20-episode-set#post_3867694
I know there are many episodes out there on pre ABC Edge but where???
If they're anywhere (and its not likely since Edge was one of the only two live soaps still running in the 70s), its in the vaults at WCBS in New York.

Also Never Too Young (an extremely obscure ABC soap from the mid-60s) was the first soap opera theme with lyrics.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Lord Dalek said:
Also Never Too Young (an extremely obscure ABC soap from the mid-60s) was the first soap opera theme with lyrics.
ANother little known fact about Never Too Young, I believe it was a sorta, kinda spinoff of General Hospital.
That said, I wouldn't mind some shorter run soaps being released in their entirety (Port Charles, The City) like DARK SHADOWS has been.
BUt for the very long running shows, I think releases by storyline or specific character would be the way to go (like The Ice Princess story from General Hospital or the character of Stefano DiMera from DAYS).

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
bretmaverick2 said:
ANother little known fact about Never Too Young, I believe it was a sorta, kinda spinoff of General Hospital.
From what I've read only 5 episodes survive. It's too bad because it also showcased the music talent of the day - acts on the Top 40 would play in the club on the show. I'm interested because the last episode aired the day I was born (it was replaced by "Dark Shadows" the following Monday). It also had interesting casting - both Tony Dow and Tommy Rettig were regulars.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Statskeeper /t/315748/as-the-world-turns-20-episode-set#post_3869606
From what I've read only 5 episodes survive. It's too bad because it also showcased the music talent of the day - acts on the Top 40 would play in the club on the show.
In which case it was probably the entire final week of the show. WOST.org put all five episodes briefly when they were a non-membership site.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Oh really? I remember that someone who is very reliable in the TV-on-DVD business said some years back that the kinescopes from all of the episodes were found in a tape vault. But then, there's no interest in Never Too Young as opposed to the show that replaced it and became a TV classic.....
BTW, it was another early ABC soap, The Young Marrieds that was something of a spinoff from GH as both shows had the same production company and were supposedly set in the same town (which was unnamed until 1976 when it got the name of Port Charles, NY).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Charles Ellis /t/315748/as-the-world-turns-20-episode-set#post_3869754
BTW, it was another early ABC soap, The Young Marrieds that was something of a spinoff from GH as both shows had the same production company and were supposedly set in the same town (which was unnamed until 1976 when it got the name of Port Charles, NY).
Hmm I wonder if those got donated to UCLA as well.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
Charles Ellis said:
Sorry about that! I stand corrected!
Thanks

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Charles Ellis said:
Oh really? I remember that someone who is very reliable in the TV-on-DVD business said some years back that the kinescopes from all of the episodes were found in a tape vault. But then, there's no interest in Never Too Young as opposed to the show that replaced it and became a TV classic.....
I can only go by what I've heard and read from collectors. If the whole series survives in a viewable format that's great. Not a lot of people know about it, and music clearances would be a nightmare so I doubt it would ever be released. Too bad, since it's a 9 month run and could be released in a volume or 2.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
I will echo the idea the "Texas" probably does exist in nearly it's entirety. I know that it streamed on AOL a few years ago and I believe it started with it's very first episode. However, according to a post on its Wikipedia page, a few of its episodes seem to be missing or mislabeled. Perhaps this will be corrected as the P&G archive is currently being digitized.
I certainly don't expect to see any obscure soaps or anything on kinescope to find its way to DVD but they could still be streamed online.
Even though it's a bit off-topic, I'd also love to see non-P&G soaps like Capital, Generations, Sunset Beach & Santa Barbara released or streamed in some form.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
Several of those 1979 EON episodes at AOL were very poor quality. The videotapes have deteriorated quite a bit. There was one episode with break-up every few seconds, with some of it so badly damaged, the episode was presented in a shortened form.
This said, I would LOVE to see the 1975 90-minute ABC EON premiere, which I believe does exist. Seeing Serena Faraday for the last time in court before she becomes Josie permanently would be fantastic! That and Nicole being found alive in Paris.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Anybody remember the CBS soap "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" with Donna Mills and David Birney? I loved that soap. Don't know if any eps exist but if they do I'd love to see them again in some form or fashion.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by Elena S /t/315748/as-the-world-turns-20-episode-set/30#post_3870615
Anybody remember the CBS soap "Love is a Many Splendored Thing" with Donna Mills and David Birney? I loved that soap. Don't know if any eps exist but if they do I'd love to see them again in some form or fashion.
A few episodes exist but they're all on B&W kiniscope.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
So here's the question. If soap opera kiniscopes exist then who legally owns them ? The network who broadcast the soap ? The museum they were donated to ? The original production team such as Procter & Gamble ?
The company who are now handling P&G's soaps say they have aquired the entire archive of 22,000 hours or epiodes. So would that include the rights to the kiniscopes?

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
In addition Soap Classics has just released a new set - Christmas in Oakdale. It's a 5 episode set ranging from 1985-2007 and is selling for $12.95. if you want an additional 10% off use code ATWTXMAS.
http://soapclassics.com/index.php/christmas-in-oakdale.html

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Just ordered the value pack of the ATWT box set with the Christmas set. Got a great price by using the code that was so nicely provided here. The shipping was free.
I'd like to urge anyone who was a fan of ATWT to order these sets. Just like with any DVD release, the more they sell the more likely we will get more in the future. It's especially important for this type of release since soaps are racing towards becoming extinct in their current form.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I just may order both sets with the hope they will dig futher into the archives and use the kinescopes from the 50s and 60s- the color issue would be moot as the show only went to color in 1967.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Also wanted to let everyone know that one day after ordering the two sets, I received an email thanking me for my order and giving me a link to a free Thanksgiving episode of ATWT streaming at the Soap Classics site.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
YOUTUBE HAS SARA KARR'S DEATH SCENE FROM 'EDGE OF NIGHT" IN 1961. IT CAUSED AN UPROAR ON DAYTIME TELEVISION TEAL AMES (SARA) HAD TO GO ON TELEVISION AND REASSURE AUDIENCES SHE WAS INDEED NOT DEAD. CBS WAS FLOODED WITH PHONE CALLS AFTER HER DEATH SCENE. THE AUDIENCE THOUGHT SHE HAD DIED FOR REAL........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks